Jump to content
IGNORED

Sifu


simms
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, misterSquare said:

 

 

Yes! Its so good - I had zero expectations for this so its been a wonderful surprise. I've spent about three hours tonight gradually edging my way towards a No Death/No Shortcut run on the first level, which I *finally* managed to do at about midnight. I don't think I've ever uploaded a clip of any game ever, but I felt compelled to for this 🙂

 

 


Wow, you are much better than me :lol:

 

played this for an hour, in love. Hopefully it will click for me the same way the (much easier) Arkham series did

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MikeF said:

Just found out you can skip fights on the second level. Will be trying that to make getting to the boss easier

You can do that on the first level too!! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Vemsie said:

Level 3 looks so cool. Great art direction.

Yeah it's fantastic!!  I love how you can use some of the art installations with the R1 / environmental skill - there's a room with two enemies just like the ones before the boss (what do we call those guys for reference? I have no idea what 'style' of fighting they use!) where there are loads of little glass things hanging from the ceiling that you can punch/kick at them :D

 

Also love the room with the huge spinny thing that drops ink on the floor ❤️

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Skip fights by running past them? Can you skip those two bastards right before the second boss?

Oh I assumed he meant by using shortcuts. 

 

I suppose he could be talking about the stage 2 room with all the people training, and the first challenge where the woman talks to you? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah. I know you can skip the training room though it’s comparatively easy and you get a shrine for your troubles. I don’t think you can skip the lady talking to you from up high trial, though you don’t have to fight her.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Stuff you unlock in a shrine saves if you beat the level, right?


So I’ll always start level 2 with the shrine stuff I unlocked on my best level 1 run.

 

Correct, but if you do the level again with and finish with the same age and different shrine items it will apparently keep the first run

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, MikeF said:

 

Correct, but if you do the level again with and finish with the same age and different shrine items it will apparently keep the first run

Yes, which is very annoying!!! It should at least let you choose which to keep.  I'm going to restart my save so that I can make sure I have max focus boost.  I wasn't thinking and took some crap ones on the go I got to the end of stage 1 at 20!! :(

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Ah. I know you can skip the training room though it’s comparatively easy and you get a shrine for your troubles

You can get the shrine without fighting anyone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooooo I've just noticed something cool, I think the weird regular enemy 'minibosses' you sometimes fight are only made 'super' if you try and finish them with Y+B!  You can see the smoke around them faintly, but if you just beat them to death then they don't power up!! :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also, the key to beating those bastards before the second boss is to watch the hand they start their combos with.  One side is all high attacks, the other is the combo that ends with the sweep.  Dodge those motherfuckers! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, robdood said:

Ooooo I've just noticed something cool, I think the weird regular enemy 'minibosses' you sometimes fight are only made 'super' if you try and finish them with Y+B!  You can see the smoke around them faintly, but if you just beat them to death then they don't power up!! :D

 

 

Yeah, I've actually memorized them as I sometimes didn't notice the smoke in the heat of a group battle and accidently used the finisher.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Vemsie said:

 

Yeah, I've actually memorized them as I sometimes didn't notice the smoke in the heat of group battle and accidently used the finisher.

Heh, it also seems that they're not always the same individuals either though!! So watch out for that!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For the two horrors in level 2, go in with a polearm and throw it at one, before sweeping and then focussing on the other. Use your focus for a facesmash followed by charged triangle into sweep for one down. In the back right corner is another weapon, run away then as they chase you throw it, sweep, repeat. 

 

Level 20 going into level 4... I am glad I didn't give up when I said I would, but it still has some pitfalls for pure perfection runs... If that parry timing was a fraction wider, and a couple of the enemies had some tuning this would be a 10/10. For a small team it is excellent regardless. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

For the two horrors in level 2, go in with a polearm and throw it at one, before sweeping and then focussing on the other. Use your focus for a facesmash followed by charged triangle into sweep for one down. In the back right corner is another weapon, run away then as they chase you throw it, sweep, repeat. 

 

Level 20 going into level 4... I am glad I didn't give up when I said I would, but it still has some pitfalls for pure perfection runs... If that parry timing was a fraction wider, and a couple of the enemies had some tuning this would be a 10/10. For a small team it is excellent regardless. 

 

The parry window is slimmer than a subatomic particle - I spent about 30 mins practicing on the wooden dummy and I still can only nail it every one time in 50. Presumably it will all fall into place eventually, as I beat all the Arkham games with the counter/ evade symbols turned off, but for now I'm a flailing, button-mashing mess running around looking for lead pipes. Even the combo timing gives me grief, as it appears that instead of simply pressing the buttons the correct number of times in the correct order you have to wait until the attacks land before pressing the next button in the sequence. And then you have high and low dodges and all this other crap I was too tired and cack-handed for. Got 61% through level one at age 36 before turning it off and going to bed.

 

Any tips, other than practice and git gud?

 

Anyone else playing as a woman? Her shoulders and biceps are jacked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, robdood said:

She doesn't age in as cool a way as the bloke though! :(

 

 

i just figured I had already seen how he ages due to trailers etc so I went for her. Besides, I always choose to play female in action games - there's something immensely satisfying about beating the piss out of a bunch of dudes as a woman.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

 

The parry window is slimmer than a subatomic particle - I spent about 30 mins practicing on the wooden dummy and I still can only nail it every one time in 50. Presumably it will all fall into place eventually, as I beat all the Arkham games with the counter/ evade symbols turned off, but for now I'm a flailing, button-mashing mess running around looking for lead pipes. Even the combo timing gives me grief, as it appears that instead of simply pressing the buttons the correct number of times in the correct order you have to wait until the attacks land before pressing the next button in the sequence. And then you have high and low dodges and all this other crap I was too tired and cack-handed for. Got 61% through level one at age 36 before turning it off and going to bed.

 

Any tips, other than practice and git gud?

 

Anyone else playing as a woman? Her shoulders and biceps are jacked.

 

Abilities are key! I was banging my head against the wall before using things like heavy sweep, charged fist and spin hook kick. Once you have those in your belt, it will make a big difference! Also, use high dodge as much as possible, and choose for it to refill the focus, when upgrading at shrines :)

 

Using those techniques, and push yourself to lower your age at each level and honestly you will be flying :)

 

Once you get to the end of level 1 at 20, don't aim for 20 in level 2 until you have done a couple more stages. It can be quite demoralising but with practice it gets better. 

 

THere unfortunately is no magic pill to make it easier outside of the above, but if you are enjoying it, it all just comes!

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, robdood said:

Ooooo I've just noticed something cool, I think the weird regular enemy 'minibosses' you sometimes fight are only made 'super' if you try and finish them with Y+B!  You can see the smoke around them faintly, but if you just beat them to death then they don't power up!! :D

 

Hmmm, if true then that should not be left as something someone has to either figure out, or find out on an internet forum/guide. A game's systems should be set out clearly. 

 

Edit: Also, I've completely given up on parrying, I just dodge or block now, which sometimes leads to the occasional parry when I'm pressing R1 to block. This also means I ignore the upgrades that give you a benefit when you successfully parry. The parry window is too narrow. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Thor said:

Hmmm, if true then that should not be left as something someone has to either figure out, or find out on an internet forum/guide. A game's systems should be set out clearly. 

Disagree, I loved noticing that! And then sharing it :D

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SuperCapes said:

 

Abilities are key! I was banging my head against the wall before using things like heavy sweep, charged fist and spin hook kick. Once you have those in your belt, it will make a big difference! Also, use high dodge as much as possible, and choose for it to refill the focus, when upgrading at shrines :)

 

Using those techniques, and push yourself to lower your age at each level and honestly you will be flying :)

 

Once you get to the end of level 1 at 20, don't aim for 20 in level 2 until you have done a couple more stages. It can be quite demoralising but with practice it gets better. 

 

THere unfortunately is no magic pill to make it easier outside of the above, but if you are enjoying it, it all just comes!

 

 

 

 

Yeah these are good tips, I had a half written post before I had to pop out just now, but my tips would be:

 

- Don't mash attacks. 

- Hold block most of the time

- Wait for enemies to attack, there aren't many attack patterns, so learn to notice the one-two, one-two-threes the enemies do while just holding block. 

- Once you feel a bit more familiar, start tapping down on the stick while blocking to evade attacks (load easier than parrying as Thor says above)

- You won't need to worry about low evades til level 2, really, and even then they are pretty rare and well telegraphed in combos etc

- Successful evades let you get nice counter hits/combos in

- Counter hit combos 'stun' the opponents, you can use X+A to then grab/throw them in a direction you choose - very good for clearing space! 

- buy the forward, forward heavy attack move for closing space

- buy the environmental move for being able to kick chairs and boxes and stuff around, super handy when outnumbered

- concentrate on unlocking one move at a time - whole run of the first stage gets you about 4,000XP, a nice amount to outright buy the cheaper skills

- channel your inner Jackie Chan

 

It's totally possible to play this like Arkham, btw.  Just soften your focus and keep an eye on the enemies.  Your block cancels almost anything, so as long as you're careful you can always at least hold block.  Trying to parry while surrounded will get you murdered.  Inputting the wrong evade while surrounded will get your murdered sometimes.  Blocking is safe while surrounded for ALL high/low attacks, even the orange ones.  You just can't block *forever*.  Clear space when your structure (ugh that naming) has taken a battering. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@robdood class tips! I didn't even think about grabbing after a combo. This will help me going through some of the bigger groups for sure! 22 going into the last stage, and I am convinced I will be able to break through sub 25, but my expectations are silly ha! 

 

Was saying to my friend, Elden Ring is going to seem like a breeze after playing this! Regardless, what a month for gaming. Will hopefully platinum this at the weekend, and then maybe play a JRPG until ER comes out, to give my ageing hands a bloody break! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started again tonight as a woman so that I could fix my stage one powerups. 

 

Nearly cleared stage 2 on first attempt, I did pretty poorly though.  Will be interesting to try a 'no powerups' run if I ever get that good! 

 

But: chain throws on this guy are so fucking sweet :D

giphy.gif

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SuperCapes said:

@robdood class tips! I didn't even think about grabbing after a combo. This will help me going through some of the bigger groups for sure! 22 going into the last stage, and I am convinced I will be able to break through sub 25, but my expectations are silly ha! 

 

Was saying to my friend, Elden Ring is going to seem like a breeze after playing this! Regardless, what a month for gaming. Will hopefully platinum this at the weekend, and then maybe play a JRPG until ER comes out, to give my ageing hands a bloody break! 

 

Oh it's not just me then. Arkham Knight gave me persistent thumb pain for months. These days if I'm playing a game that demands fast reflex button-pushing I warm them up with a microwaved rice bag my partner uses on her stomach for when she has the monthly cramps. Gets them moving a lot quicker than a few warmup rounds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.