Sifu

simms

8 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

At the risk of sounding like the old man that I am, where does it tell you what the various on-screen gauges mean?

The tutorial tells you the basics of combat, but not what anything else means. 

You get a bit of an overview by looking at the board with all the photos and clues images on. Bottom left side. 

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

You get a bit of an overview by looking at the board with all the photos and clues images on. Bottom left side. 

Cool, thanks.

I just wish for the good old days when games came with manuals on how to play them, not leaving the player to trawl the internet looking for guides amongst a sea of clickbait articles and 'toobers 'hey guys, like and subscribe' nonesense.

6 minutes ago, SneakyNinja said:

Cool, thanks.

I just wish for the good old days when games came with manuals on how to play them, not leaving the player to trawl the internet looking for guides amongst a sea of clickbait articles and 'toobers 'hey guys, like and subscribe' nonesense.

I mean the game does have that of sorts, its just in the game! 

The one above their head is health, once that runs out they're dead. 

The lower one with the notch in the middle is 'structure' - this is like health but for blocking or missing attacks or being parried, if it fills up, you can do the Y+B / triangle+circle insta kill. 

6 minutes ago, robdood said:

I mean the game does have that of sorts, its just in the game! 

The one above their head is health, once that runs out they're dead. 

The lower one with the notch in the middle is 'structure' - this is like health but for blocking or missing attacks or being parried, if it fills up, you can do the Y+B / triangle+circle insta kill. 

Maybe I wasn't paying attention but I don't remember that being mentioned. 

Either way, I know now, thanks! 

Can get up to the first boss without ageing now, but then it goes to pot.  Need to spend some time working on the boss.  I will try blocking and see when I can get some damage in

8 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Can get up to the first boss without ageing now, but then it goes to pot.  Need to spend some time working on the boss.  I will try blocking and see when I can get some damage in

L1 plus down will be your best pal against that chap! :)

I fucking love this game. It's the unholy blend of God Hand, Streets of Rage and Sekiro that I had hoped it would be. I haven't made it past the second boss yet but I'm happy to keep getting murked as it plays like an absolute dream and is already sending me into that sweet, sweet flow state that I'm always looking for in these games. 

I think it looks fantastic too, and runs butter smooth on my PC.

I have to say, it’s refreshing when a game runs as smoothly and without much in the way of bugs as this does. 

There have been a couple of minor glitches when characters get caught in the scenery, but by and large it’s been pretty flawless!

1 minute ago, JoeK said:

I have to say, it’s refreshing when a game runs as smoothly and without much in the way of bugs as this does. 

There have been a couple of minor glitches when characters get caught in the scenery, but by and large it’s been pretty flawless!

I've had some instances where I'm holding an invisible pipe, but that only happened twice.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I've had some instances where I'm holding an invisible pipe, but that only happened twice.

That’s just the supernatural antics of the talisman ;)

27 minutes ago, MikeF said:

Second level now, starting at age 20

Got to the room before the boss and died to the 2 dudes there, but got a key, so hopefully dont have to fight courtyard boss again

You don't.

1 hour ago, MikeF said:

Second level now, starting at age 20

Got to the room before the boss and died to the 2 dudes there, but got a key, so hopefully dont have to fight courtyard boss again

He's good practice for the 2 bellends at the end though!

Managed to beat the 2nd boss at the grand old age of ...

bill-and.gif

His second phase feels unfair because he mixes up his moves a lot, or at least to me he seems to. He got me a lot with a low swing that I couldn't seem to telegraph.

And yes, I did delete the game. I re-installed, :lol:

I just got to the 2nd stage boss for the first time, nearly had him too!! That second phase is a little tricksy, but good L1 + wiggle spam did a good job for most of it.  Gonna dust him tonight for sure.  

I also absolutely smashed the pair before him.  I can't believe it, felt like something 'clicked'.  They didn't stand a chance!  (Though I did have to reload checkpoint as the woman literally vanished into thin air as I did a focus attack which meant I couldn't 'clear' the room!!)

Wow, the second boss just handed me my arse multiple times.  Got to him in the early 30's and died before entering his second phase.

May grind the level for a while to get XP to unlock more skills

14 minutes ago, Thor said:

Managed to beat the 2nd boss at the grand old age of ...

bill-and.gif

His second phase feels unfair because he mixes up his moves a lot, or at least to me he seems to. He got me a lot with a low swing that I couldn't seem to telegraph.

And yes, I did delete the game. I re-installed, :lol:

You should always (IMO) be blocking his first attacks.

He doesn’t telegraph the low and it’s his first attack so it’s suicide to try and 2nd guess what he’s going to do. Just block and after his first 1-2 moves you start to recognise what he’s going to follow up with and you can dodge accordingly.

As previously mentioned in the thread if you upgrade the focus gain from dodging, you can build focus really quickly when he starts going ham and constantly focus hit him.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

He doesn’t telegraph the low and it’s his first attack

Not always.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

As previously mentioned in the thread if you upgrade the focus gain from dodging, you can build focus really quickly when he starts going ham and constantly focus hit him.

And yes, I've just learnt how powerful a tool this is.

Edit: Beat the first boss at 21 just now, he managed to get me in his first phase.

The Museum is an excellent level. I'm not sure how far I've got, but it was pretty far. If I can get here still in my 20s I reckon I can get to the boss. There's a whole section in the museum that has a fantastic sense of style to it.

I forget who else mentioned it, but the soundtrack really is shit. This game deserves a thumping soundtrack, but it's entirely inoffensive and bland. If this game's soundtrack was a colour, it would be magnolia. 

Ok so I hate the following:

Spoiler

How long phase 2 of boss 2 is. 

How awful the distancing keeping bosses 3 and 4 do to the player. Absolutely contrary to how you play the entire game and totally breaks pacing. Fucking dreadful boss designs. 

Tonight, I beat the first boss :) . I'm in my 40s though, so will need to give it another run I reckon. 

But...this particular run was the first time when I really felt I was getting to grips with some of the mechanics. Definitely finding the guarding and dodging things a little easier. 

Still finding leg sweeping to be a really awkward thing though - It kind of feels like the analogue stick just isn't fast enough to register the damn move half of the damn, so I did have a number of cheap deaths due to my insistence that I would fuck up someone with the move one way or another!

God knows if I'll ever get to the latter bosses, but there's a lot to enjoy so far. 

2nd boss down 2nd attempt!  During tonight's session I've discovered the wonder of the X+A throw after stunning an opponent, it worked a treat on the boss, there were a few times I got him in a horrible jab > throw > wall splat > jab loop about 3 or 4 times in a row! It looked badass as fuck! 

Am 50ish going into stage 3, but that doesn't matter, I wanted to keep the XP more than anything :D GIEF ME TASTY UPGRADES

1 hour ago, robdood said:

2nd boss down 2nd attempt!  During tonight's session I've discovered the wonder of the X+A throw after stunning an opponent, it worked a treat on the boss, there were a few times I got him in a horrible jab > throw > wall splat > jab loop about 3 or 4 times in a row! It looked badass as fuck! 

Am 50ish going into stage 3, but that doesn't matter, I wanted to keep the XP more than anything :D GIEF ME TASTY UPGRADES

I'm always using this move now (X+A after stun) - it's awesome when surrounded, plus when you get the upgrades to chase and keep hitting afterwards it's brilliant.  :)

Well I did pretty well on my first go on stage 3, I must've been right near or even on the boss.. 

Spoiler

Fell into a huge red room with mannequins and an opponent who killed me

Bloody idiot though, I had enough xp to outright buy a cheap skill and forgot to do it on my penultimate death! Doh. 

Such a game. I'm glad I'm over the initial hump of figuring out how the heck to actually play it, and am staying alive pretty well all told! 

Gotta get that level 2 run down tomorrow! Can't be starting stage 3 at age 53! Lol

10 hours ago, Novelty Bobble said:

I fucking love this game. It's the unholy blend of God Hand, Streets of Rage and Sekiro that I had hoped it would be.

Yes! Its so good - I had zero expectations for this so its been a wonderful surprise. I've spent about three hours tonight gradually edging my way towards a No Death/No Shortcut run on the first level, which I *finally* managed to do at about midnight. I don't think I've ever uploaded a clip of any game ever, but I felt compelled to for this 🙂