Jump to content

Sony winding down Sony Japan


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Feel like I’ve wasted £450 now :( 

 

Nah not for me, I've still got a library full of games to enjoy albiet the majority are PS4 titles I still get to enjoy better frame rates/faster loads times & I like the PS5 controller more than the PS4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There might be no more Everybody's Golf now, but the developer recently trademarked Clap Handz Golf, meaning it might continue in some form. Possibly multiplatform as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, BongoInferno said:

 I thought the creatives who made Last Guardian, SotC and Gravity Rush are long gone anyway?

 

I guess we now know why. I can't imagine Sony were prepared to give them the green light on anything if they were looking to wind the whole studio down.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, BongoInferno said:

There are still loads of interesting games made by Japanese studios on PlayStation that you can’t get on Xbox.   I don’t get why people in this thread think that Sony Studios Japan = all interesting games made in Japan on PlayStation. I thought the creatives who made Last Guardian, SotC and Gravity Rush are long gone anyway?

 

Lots of those creatives actually left in the last couple of months, clearly knowing what was going on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gospvg said:

 

Nah not for me, I've still got a library full of games to enjoy albiet the majority are PS4 titles


What games though? Soulful amazing Japanese slices of genius? Then great :) Bunch of cinematic experiences from the western world? Then less great :( 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:


What games though? Soulful amazing Japanese slices of genius? Then great :) Bunch of cinematic experiences from the western world? Then less great :( 

 

A mixture of both & a nice helping of indie titles. Currently I'm playing The Pathless & I've got the following list and more to enjoy.

 

Star Wars Squadrons, Journey to the Savage Planet, Oninaki, Nier Automata, Yakuza Like A Dragon, Untitled Goose Game, Civilization VI, For the King, Haven, Donut County, Undertale, Gris & Control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, BongoInferno said:

There are still loads of interesting games made by Japanese studios on PlayStation that you can’t get on Xbox.   I don’t get why people in this thread think that Sony Studios Japan = all interesting games made in Japan on PlayStation. I thought the creatives who made Last Guardian, SotC and Gravity Rush are long gone anyway?

Not sure. We'll see I guess. Think the difference is that Sony used to fund development of more risky/abstract/interesting games and they were largely exclusive to the Sony platform. Japan Studio was one of their studios that did this. Think by doing what that have sends out a signal to people that the focus is changing. Under the new organisation I don't think we'll see games like The Last Guardian for example. The developers are still around but future games will no longer be tied to a Sony platform. 

 

In short there will be no reason to buy a Playstation anymore if you have  PC or whatever to play these games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Plus, a lot of Japanese third party AA stuff is now targeting the Switch (like Disgaea 6) given how well it's selling over there. Given how poor the PS5 is doing in Japan I can see a lot of Japanese mid tier development targeting Switch and PC going forward. I would honestly be amazed if the next Dragon Quest isn't a Switch game with a possible uprezzed port given 95% of that games sales come from Japan.

 

I miss a lot of the crazy, random shit you used to get on the PS2. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

8 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not sure. We'll see I guess. Think the difference is that Sony used to fund development of more risky/abstract/interesting games and they were largely exclusive to the Sony platform. Japan Studio was one of their studios that did this. Think by doing what that have sends out a signal to people that the focus is changing. Under the new organisation I don't think we'll see games like The Last Guardian for example. The developers are still around but future games will no longer be tied to a Sony platform. 

 

In short there will be no reason to buy a Playstation anymore if you have  PC or whatever to play these games. 

 

Right but there's no reason to own an Xbox if you have a PC by that logic?

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, gospvg said:

 

A mixture of both & a nice helping of indie titles. Currently I'm playing The Pathless & I've got the following list and more to enjoy.

 

Star Wars Squadrons, Journey to the Savage Planet, Oninaki, Nier Automata, Yakuza Like A Dragon, Untitled Goose Game, Civilization VI, For the King, Haven, Donut County, Undertale, Gris & Control.

Don't think anyone is disputing the fact there isn't lots to play - there is - however non of that is exclusive to the PlayStation platform. 

 

Japan Studio is a sad loss. For me it sends out a signal of where Sony is going in future. Which is fine as it works for them - I just feel they have lost a facet of their brand that made them unique. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I would honestly be amazed if the next Dragon Quest isn't a Switch game with a possible uprezzed port given 95% of that games sales come from Japan.

This already happened. True, DQXI initially launched on PS4, but still DQXI S is just that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

 

 

Right but there's no reason to own an Xbox if you have a PC by that logic?

Probably not unless you have some exclusive content on your Xbox console you enjoy playing (pre Xbox being released on PC). Xbox is just a platform that is now on the PC too. 

 

I would not have bought a Xbox Series X had it not been so cheap - relative to a PC upgrade anyway. Also it plays lots of my old back catalogue that I already own that isn't on the PC. In the end a console is a cheap and convenient way to play games... but PC vs Xbox console hardware is a whole other topic.

 

In the end its where you have your investment these days, which eco-system you have bought into that probably has the most influence on what you play on. I'd always pick up a Sony console to play things like The Last Guardian and other things that were only available on the Sony platform. 

 

Anyhow. Japan Studio = Sad loss for Sony IMHO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, MattyP said:

Lets face it hardly comes as a surprise. The Playstation has become a Western focused device - look at all the AAA blockbuster games of late all targeted largely at a Western audience. And the size of the Playstation 5 etc. We've had no games like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian of late - even the TLG started off on the PS3 and wasn't really build from the ground up as a PS4 game.

 

Yeah, it's worth mentioning again one simple fact.

 

In Japan, the PS3 outsold the PS4.

 

Either Japan no longer wants big consoles or Sony has forgotten how to give them one they want.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MattyP said:

I'd always pick up a Sony console to play things like The Last Guardian and other things that were only available on the Sony platform. 

 

Anyhow. Japan Studio = Sad loss for Sony IMHO.


You’re articulating exactly why I feel like I’ve wasted £450. That money was intended to allow me to access the Ico’s, SotC’s and The Last Guardians of this world, and now I hear they won’t be coming :( A truly sad day for gaming man. Gutted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

Some good stuff in there for sure. But they’re not really Ico now, are they? :( 

 

There is only Ico, other games will continue to be made that I'm sure will be equally as good.

 

51 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Don't think anyone is disputing the fact there isn't lots to play - there is - however non of that is exclusive to the PlayStation platform. 

 

Japan Studio is a sad loss. For me it sends out a signal of where Sony is going in future. Which is fine as it works for them - I just feel they have lost a facet of their brand that made them unique. 

 

Don't really care about exclusive titles, I only have the one console this generation and that is PS5 I will have more than enough games to enjoy on that without worrying what Xbox or Nintendo are making just like other media not enough time to play/read/watch them all.

 

As for Japan Studio themselves, looking at the wiki list of games, there are some beautiful titles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan_Studio

 

But I guess at the end of the day if you are not profitable then Sony have no other choice. No Knack 3 :(

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

 

But I guess at the end of the day if you are not profitable then Sony have no other choice. No Knack 3 :(

 

According to Bloomberg they were profitable. Just not enough for Sony any more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:


You’re articulating exactly why I feel like I’ve wasted £450. That money was intended to allow me to access the Ico’s, SotC’s and The Last Guardians of this world, and now I hear they won’t be coming :( A truly sad day for gaming man. Gutted.

Well it won't be a waste surely... they'll be plenty of content to play on it. I don't see the loss of Japan Studio a bad thing for gaming just for Sony IMHO. But if its making a loss for them and they don't see any value in what they do so be it. At least it frees the development talent up to make content for whoever they choose to partner with and hopefully all content will be cross platform anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, gospvg said:

Don't really care about exclusive titles, I only have the one console this generation and that is PS5 I will have more than enough games to enjoy on that without worrying what Xbox or Nintendo are making just like other media not enough time to play/read/watch them all.

Indeed. To some degree I'm happy Sony have done this. One less reason to buy a PlayStation to be fair. In fact I'd be happy if everyone ditched exclusivity as that would mean I'd only have to buy one box... :) The way things are going this is looking ever more likely this time. There is plenty to play sure. But must admit its frustrating at times not being able to play a game because its locked to a platform. Like a film company releasing a film to only be playable on one particular brand of video playing device or an e-book that you can only read on a Kindle for example :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:


You’re articulating exactly why I feel like I’ve wasted £450. That money was intended to allow me to access the Ico’s, SotC’s and The Last Guardians of this world, and now I hear they won’t be coming :( A truly sad day for gaming man. Gutted.

 

to be fair the next Fumito Ueda game is still coming, just from his own company. Whether it appears this gen or not is a different story.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

 

to be fair the next Fumito Ueda game is still coming, just from his own company. Whether it appears this gen or not is a different story.

As far as I understand it he's partnered with Epic. So it might end up on their PC platform exclusively for a bit (at least on PC anyway). Consoles I expect it will appear on whoever pays the money for it. Or all consoles who knows. Expect we won't see it for a while anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

The idea of a Ueda game being on something other than a Playstation makes me feel kinda similarly to how a Miyamoto game coming out on something other than a Nintendo would. Strangely and irrationally sad somehow.


It would be an odd one, that’s for sure. I just hope he doesn’t end up like many other high-profile creators who inexplicably lose their magic after leaving ‘home’.

 

If Sony have no interest, I sort of hope Microsoft decide to counter their deficit in terms of Japanese third party support by investing in some of these people and giving them a reasonable budget and a generous amount of time to make what they want. My head really will start to spin if, by generation’s end, Xbox is more Japanese than PlayStation as far as first party published software is concerned. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I always saw Sony Japan as a bit of a loss leader in some respects. I can't see how the Last Guardian was profitable on it's own but those Sony Japan titles were what pulled in some enthusiasts who would go on to buy a lot of other titles for their console. I have to admit I'm thinking of holding off on getting a PS5 or getting a new X-Box early instead.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

The idea of a Ueda game being on something other than a Playstation makes me feel kinda similarly to how a Miyamoto game coming out on something other than a Nintendo would. Strangely and irrationally sad somehow.

Get what you mean. However never got on with Sonys pads so win for me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rain Birds said:


It would be an odd one, that’s for sure. I just hope he doesn’t end up like many other high-profile creators who inexplicably lose their magic after leaving ‘home’

 

If Sony have no interest, I sort of hope Microsoft decide to counter their deficit in terms of Japanese third party support by investing in some of these people and giving them a reasonable budget and a generous amount of time to make what they want. My head really will start to spin if, by generation’s end, Xbox is more Japanese than PlayStation as far as first party published software is concerned. 

 

Not sure if MS will pick up Japanese games either. They had a good stab over the years at courting Japanese devs to appeal to the Japanese markets and this kind of tailed off a fair bit after the 360. Remember lots of Japanese produced / focused games coming out on that. JRPGs etc. We even got Radient Silvergun which was a fairly niche shooter previously locked on the Saturn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its shit news. Looking at their lists of Games on Wikipedia the thing that stands out is just how many smaller weird games they were at least involved with during the PS3/PSP era. 

 

 

This also hurts the chances of my prediction for a new Ape Escape, which is less important. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.