Spider-Man No Way Home - Xmas 2021

teddymeow

1 hour ago, PeteJ said:

Strange doing that spell in the trailer seemed like an odd thing for him to do, but could just be the way it's edited for the teaser. Likewise I hope it ties into the end of Loki somehow, otherwise that series was a waste of time. 

Thought of spidey doing spidey things in a weird shape shifting world with best bad guy back sounds like a lot of fun though.  

Isn't it the case that

Spoiler

Sylvie has effectively removed the safeguards that the Kang variant put in place, so Strange's spell has unforeseen consequences?

2 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Isn't it the case that

Hide contents

Sylvie has effectively removed the safeguards that the Kang variant put in place, so Strange's spell has unforeseen consequences?

Ah yes, good point. 

4 hours ago, PeteJ said:

Strange doing that spell in the trailer seemed like an odd thing for him to do, but could just be the way it's edited for the teaser. Likewise I hope it ties into the end of Loki somehow, otherwise that series was a waste of time. 

Thought of spidey doing spidey things in a weird shape shifting world with best bad guy back sounds like a lot of fun though.  

I assume Peter's jabbering isn't enough to make Strange mess up a powerful spell as otherwise he wouldn't have him anywhere around while doing so.

I reckon he does the spell at the same time the end of Loki is taking place so it appears to be Peter, but its actually events elsewhere.

Edit: Didn't notice DeciderVT gave a better explanation.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited for Molina and Dafoe and I really really really want this to be good but... MCU Peter's kind of an asshole right? We go from Great Power meaning Great Responsibility to "can you do incredibly complicated magic because I don't want to deal with my great responsibility." Now I don't really know if that line is in the whole canon of MCU spidey, is he supposed to be learning this over the movies? 

I loved Homecoming so much because even with quite a large amount of Iron Man in there he was weaved through Peter's character and feelings and made sense as a kind of Father Figure in that world. I thought Far From Home missed this a bit and it kind of turned into the next episode of The Marvel Cinematic Universe with this week's special guest Peter Parker. 

I just want them to get the themes right goddamn it. By all means heap the multiverse on there but make it true to this version of Peter Parker and make him grow and learn in interesting ways because of it. That's all I ask Marvel/Sony!

That Dr.Strange has got to be a Variant right? Our one being the one we see knock his soul out of his body....

Hair different, smug face, fighting Spidey on the trains......

I keep wondering if there’s some sort of fake-out and actually they’re messing with time and space because something bad has happened or nearly happened to Parker’s friends and family, but the winking jokey tone doesn’t really support that.

Why are people thinking Dr.Strange being arrogant enough to think he could pull this spell off weird? Don't you all remember where he came from? He's always thought he was better and above anyone. Even in the first film, he pretty much fast tracks magic lessons through sheer arrogance. It's not out of the ordinary to think part of that old arrogant Dr.Strange is still in there.

Anyway just watched the trailer again. The Doc-Oc arms and "hello Peter" keeps giving me goosebumps. 

3 hours ago, BitterToad said:

We go from Great Power meaning Great Responsibility to "can you do incredibly complicated magic because I don't want to deal with my great responsibility.”

I just want them to get the themes right goddamn it. By all means heap the multiverse on there but make it true to this version of Peter Parker and make him grow and learn in interesting ways because of it. That's all I ask Marvel/Sony!

I mean that is the theme? You’re seeing him make a mistake around responsibility and then the consequences of that, I don’t get how you’re reading it as the opposite.

14 hours ago, BitterToad said:

MCU Peter's kind of an asshole right?

Not really, he's just a young bloke who is still trying to deal with what the fuck is going on.  I think if by the end of this film he's not fully getting it, then you'd call him thick as shit, but asshole, naaa.

I watched Attack of The Clones last night ..Anakin Skywalker, now that's an asshole!

On 24/08/2021 at 08:56, PK said:

Yeah surely that's got to be misdirection? He seems quite out of character in that trailer. Out of the character we know, at least (waggle eyebrows, wink at camera, etc)

That's just because Tony Stark isn't around to quip so now Dr. Strange is quip guy. Gotta have quips.

8 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:

I'm currently shitting my pants with excitement for this film, and so have taken it upon myself to watch all of the old Sony Spidey films in sequence.

The first Raimi one does not hold up well at all.

I've been doing the same.

That whole first trilogy is pretty bad. Doc Ock being so good has kind of rose-tinted people's memories of those movies overall, I think, and you forget just how boring they are. Maguire and Dunst are remarkably unlikeable, there is something vaguely sneering about both of them and they have absolutely zero chemistry.

I haven't seen the Amazing Spider-Man duo though. I'm hoping they are at least slightly better.

Both series represented incremental progress for their time I guess, quality in relative terms rather than absolute terms.

Maguire Spidey 1 for example, aged like milk, but compare it to the other stuff around back then, especially superhero movies.....not sure how much I'd credit them with laying the groundwork for where we are now but they were a step in the right direction I guess? 

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

Maguire and Dunst are remarkably unlikeable, there is something vaguely sneering about both of them and they have absolutely zero chemistry.

I haven't seen the Amazing Spider-Man duo though. I'm hoping they are at least slightly better.

If you have a problem with Maguire's Peter Parker being unlikeable, wait until you see Andrew Garfield's!

A movie where

Spoiler

Peter only gets the spider bite because he steals some other guy's ID.

And for two people in a relationship at the time,he and Emma Stone have surprisingly little on-screen chemistry.

9 minutes ago, Nick R said:

If you have a problem with Maguire's Peter Parker being unlikeable, wait until you see Andrew Garfield's!

A movie where

Hide contents

Peter only gets the spider bite because he steals some other guy's ID.

And for two people in a relationship at the time,he and Emma Stone have surprisingly little on-screen chemistry.

Garfield is a little too handsome and cool to be Peter Parker.

1 hour ago, Festoon said:

Garfield is a little too handsome and cool to be Peter Parker.

Apart from the initial Lee/Ditko run, Peter has never really been uncool, I mean he has more girls after him than any hero not named Tony Stark, and he’s always been drawn in a way that makes him look rather dashing.

4 hours ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

Maguire Spidey 1 for example, aged like milk, but compare it to the other stuff around back then, especially superhero movies.....

I think, back then, we were just grateful to be getting a major studio big-budget superhero film at all. It got by on a lot of goodwill.

4 hours ago, strider said:

I still think Spider-Man 2 is the second best Spider-Man film ever made and one of the best superhero movies too. Great setpieces, a genuinely excellent and well-rounded boss and actual heroics. That train sequence is incredible and it's nice to see a superhero movie where their using their powers for good rather than simply bantering and beating up their mates. Granted some of the special effects look a little ropey now, but I still think it effortlessly kicks the shit out of most of the MCU films.

Spiderman two is an amazing superhero movie, definitely up there as one of the bests.

Into the Spiderverse is my favourite Spiderman film, it captures the heroic journey so brilliant, has fantastic action scenes and the emotional moments really land.

39 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Spiderman two is an amazing superhero movie, definitely up there as one of the bests.

Into the Spiderverse is my favourite Spiderman film, it captures the heroic journey so brilliant, has fantastic action scenes and the emotional moments really land.

Agreed, which is why it's my favourite Spider-Man and probably my favourite superhero movie :)