IGNORED

Spider-Man No Way Home - Xmas 2021

teddymeow

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Hide contents

Very excited to see Shuma Gorath make an appearance during the end credits scene. As fun as Spidey was, I’m extremely hyped for the next Doctor Strange! 

yeah I whooped when I saw him, everyone looked back at me😑

Spoiler

Yeah, Tobey didn't manage to act like he did in his films. He also looked weirdly old and gaunt. 

I've heard that the VFX on this were really up to the line, so I have a theory that maybe they were struggling with de-aging him, then ran out of time and so just gave up.

Lots of stuff got me right in the feels, but Tom's heart-felt "Thank you" to they other Spideys was fantastic. Based on Tom's love of the character, I'm sure that came from a real place.

4 minutes ago, yakumo said:
  Hide contents

Again,I feel genuinely bad for Andrew Garfield. It's clear he could have been a great Spider-Man if he wasn't trapped in shit movies. Jamie Fox, too.

Spoiler

I don't think Foxx fully escapes the rubbish legacy of ASM2.  His power obsession is still not very convincing in many cases.  

6 hours ago, yakumo said:

Also 

Hide contents

Garfield was the MVP this film no question about it. Made me sad we won't see another film with him as Spiderman.

Plus Garfield saving MJ got me. That had a ton of punch for some reason.

Spoiler

I find it really telling that pretty much everyone from the ASM movies put in really good, fun performances in NWH - Andrew Garfield in particular. (Andrew Garfield and Friends?)

8 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

Any hope of seeing this at home legally soon? I'm not going anywhere near a cinema for the foreseeable future.

If it was a pure Disney film then I imagine it wouldn't be too long into the New Year that it would drop on Disney Plus - especially if Omicron starts closing cineams across the globe/and its going to do the bulk of its money now/over Christmas.

But as its part Sony then at some point its going to pop up on something to watch at a premium and then eventually free on a streaming service, but that could be a few months?

Sorry - not very helpful. I reckon there is money to be made if they put it on something mid Jan and charge £20, but depends what deals they've made with cinemas and if its got long box office legs. I reckon without Covid, this would be a massive, massive hit and easily one of the biggest grossing MCU films with people going for repeat viewings.

Empty screening at 9.45 - I've got a lot of job work to do/last day of peace in house before kids are home for weeks (or maybe months), promised Wife I'd do some DIY/need to wrap kids Christmas presents while they aren't here. I watched it less than 48 hours ago.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I actually have a few small grumbles about this film...

Spoiler

I thought the effects were often quite ropey, with obvious scenes shot on green screen instead of on-location - to me this was far more obvious than in previous marvel movies. I can forgive this one, what with the pandemic affecting everything.

When the three spideys first started fighting the villains, and were shit ... well, their plan was fucking shit!! Why did they web up all their gizmos in random parts of the Statue of Liberty instead of keeping them on themselves? My actual thought during those first fight scenes was "This is fucking stupid." The payoff of course is that they learn to fight as a team, and it's cool, but awfully contrived.

And finally, the main one ... if all those villains came back because they know Peter is Spidey, then where the fuck are Garfield's Gwen Stacy and Maguire's Mary-Jane? I can only assume Stone and Dunst couldn't or didn't want to come back. Replacing Grace's Venom with Hardy's was a wise move, though. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Thor said:

I actually have a few small grumbles about this film...

Hide contents

And finally, the main one ... if all those villains came back because they know Peter is Spidey, then where the fuck are Garfield's Gwen Stacy and Maguire's Mary-Jane? I can only assume Stone and Dunst couldn't or didn't want to come back. Replacing Grace's Venom with Hardy's was a wise move, though. :lol:

Spoiler

They could have been like Hardy. They came through but hadn’t met up with our Peter. Remember it was because of Ned calling rings to Peter that got the other 2 Peters to meet him. With the villains, they had to search for some of them too. 

Or they could have been in the next wave the wizard was holding back. 

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:
  Reveal hidden contents

They could have been like Hardy. They came through but hadn’t met up with our Peter. Remember it was because of Ned calling rings to Peter that got the other 2 Peters to meet him. With the villains, they had to search for some of them too. 

Or they could have been in the next wave the wizard was holding back. 

I like that second one better as an explanation. :)

On 16/12/2021 at 12:34, Sprite Machine said:

Well, that was fun. Glad I avoided spoilers! :D

Hide contents

Loved the spider-bants between the three of them.

"What are the Avengers? Are you in a band?"

Were those brief shots of Thomas Haden Church and Rhys Ifans at the end just some stock footage or did they actually get them back for the film too?

Stock footage in my opinion. Definitely for the 2007 version.

14 hours ago, MansizeRooster said:
  Hide contents

Yeah, Tobey didn't manage to act like he did in his films. He also looked weirdly old and gaunt. 

I've heard that the VFX on this were really up to the line, so I have a theory that maybe they were struggling with de-aging him, then ran out of time and so just gave up.

Lots of stuff got me right in the feels, but Tom's heart-felt "Thank you" to they other Spideys was fantastic. Based on Tom's love of the character, I'm sure that came from a real place.

Spoiler

Sort of disagree, watched all the previous Spidey films, and Tobey is pretty much the Raimi version except older, he still has that awkwardness and quirkiness that reminds me of Reeves's Superman. 

Also MM line catching the rock and saying 

The movie is like a big dumb Saturday cartoon and I loved it. 

4 hours ago, yakumo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Sort of disagree, watched all the previous Spidey films, and Tobey is pretty much the Raimi version except older, he still has that awkwardness and quirkiness that reminds me of Reeves's Superman. 

Also MM line catching the rock and saying 

The movie is like a big dumb Saturday cartoon and I loved it. 

It kind of is, in places, but it’s also the darkest of the MCU solo(ish) films, surely? 

Thoughts on the ending…

Spoiler

I guess the MCU creative team thought that they’d written themselves into a corner with Holland Spidey’s powers and significance in the MCUverse, so pressed a pretty big reset button? I mean, we got the loose equivalent of one of those “X-Men character gets permanently depowered” plot events from the comics. Either way, I guess we won’t see this Spider-Man again, at least in Marvel Studios linked film. They couldn’t have written Holland Spidey out of the series more conclusively short of bumping him off.

28 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

It kind of is, in places, but it’s also the darkest of the MCU solo(ish) films, surely? 

Thoughts on the ending…

Reveal hidden contents

I guess the MCU creative team thought that they’d written themselves into a corner with Holland Spidey’s powers and significance in the MCUverse, so pressed a pretty big reset button? I mean, we got the loose equivalent of one of those “X-Men character gets permanently depowered” plot events from the comics. Either way, I guess we won’t see this Spider-Man again, at least in Marvel Studios linked film. They couldn’t have written Holland Spidey out of the series more conclusively short of bumping him off.

Spoiler

I think Holland is already signed up for another Trilogy... in the MCU.

54 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

Thoughts on the ending…

Hide contents

Definitely one of the darkest things for sure, Its essentially a live action Spiderverse.

Hawkeye & Spider-man spoiler

Spoiler

With the Kingpin now making his way into the MCU and this taking place around the same time as Hawkeye (I'm guess this must be just after Hawkeye because the statue still has the sheild in that) do we think were gonna get Fisk in the next Spider-man?

I know VdN wants it and to not have Kingpin ever go against Spider-man seems sacrilege to me.

But to do this, Kingpin needs power to match Spider-man and I think the symbiote could be the perfect option for that. With Eddie Brock going back to the Sony universe, unless we're gonna get a varient dickhead Brock played by Hardy, I'd say the Kingpin being Venom instead would work well.

100th_Anniversary_Special_-_Spider-Man_Vol_1_1_Textless.thumb.jpg.c7d4c1611423d79b92dfc54b60f36314.jpg

8 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Hawkeye & Spider-man spoiler

Hide contents

With the Kingpin now making his way into the MCU and this taking place around the same time as Hawkeye (I'm guess this must be just after Hawkeye because the statue still has the sheild in that) do we think were gonna get Fisk in the next Spider-man?

Spoiler

Just on the timeline, Hawkeye is supposed to be a bit after No Way Home. Not sure when the US school year usually starts, but that's covered in the movie, with Hawkeye at Christmas the same year, 2024. I guess they just fixed the shield pretty fast. They have the technology. They can rebuild her.

On 16/12/2021 at 08:57, Stigweard said:

Oh I forgot to say about two very little moments but got a good laugh 

Hide contents

"I'm somewhat of a Scientist myself"

They did a version of the Spider-man pointing meme in the classroom 😊

Spoiler

The Spider-Man pointing at each other is also done explicitly in the credits sketches 

Also…Venom has never met or knows of Peter Parker so why was he brought in…plus I like how it was teased, only 5 of the sinister six were in the movie till Hardy turned up 

1 minute ago, probotector said:

Hide contents

The Spider-Man pointing at each other is also done explicitly in the credits sketches 

Also…Venom has never met or knows of Peter Parker so why was he brought in…plus I like how it was teased, only 5 of the sinister six were in the movie till Hardy turned up 

Spoiler

There was a weird kind of acknowledgement in the Venom post credit that made it seem like Venom knew him.

On 16/12/2021 at 20:32, Thor said:

Aye, this was great! Much better than Far From Home (which is actually pretty rubbish) loved all the fan service!

We will have to agree to disagree on your opinion here. 

I’ve been watching most of the MCU and saw FFH last night. I think it’s utterly top tier MCU, perhaps only beaten by Infinity War, Endgame and Doctor Strange. For me, Peter and MJ falling in love is perhaps my favourite movie romance of all time. I also think the plot is excellent.

Saw No Way Home earlier today. Not quite as good as FFH but still utterly enthralling and my lack of foreknowledge really paid off (been sure to avoid all trailers). The poster on buses gave away one villain so I had a vague idea of what was going to happen, but Blimey! One emotional moment fell flat for me, but apart from that it was pure fun (and more importantly pure cinema).

You simply must see this on the big screen. 

A rewatch for me is essential (particularly as we had some twits in our screening who, although they only started up 5-6 times during the film, spoke amongst each other for a good minute each time)