Jump to content
IGNORED

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread


NEG
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

It's not the most exciting looking thing, and I'd rather have start/select on the face of the device, but this could be great. Hopefully the price is sensible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm getting a bit Jaded with the handheld segment at the moment. Too many of them coming thick and fast and being outdated very quickly.

I think I will just stick with the steam deck for the time being.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, AceGrace said:

I'm getting a bit Jaded with the handheld segment at the moment. Too many of them coming thick and fast and being outdated very quickly.

I think I will just stick with the steam deck for the time being.


We’re in a weird place at the moment, where new handhelds aren’t quite powerful enough to play GC/PS2 etc, or there’s a silly wait for anything that can. It’ll settle down in the next year I reckon.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hiya chaps, does anyone here have any experience of buying and using an Android gamepad/controller?

 

Going to be doing a lot of long flights in the next fortnight and looking to turn my new Poco F3 (Android 12) into a game playing device. Looked at the Razer Kishi and a few others, but nothing perfect seems out there. 

 

The big drawback from the research I've done is because the phone doesn't have a headphone jack, and the controller would plug in through the USB3, you're only left with connecting audio via Bluetooth. Which again, people are reporting audio delays.

 

Anyone have suggestions/recommendations from personal experience the best route to go down? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I picked up a Gamesir X2 (bluetooth model) a few weeks ago for similar reasons - to use on my S22 Ultra. I chose bluetooth as I didn't want to use the USB port as a connector. Thumbs up from me - connects instantly (and a solid connection), no faff, just works with everything I've thrown at it.

 

I should also say that I'm not particularly sensitive to input lag (aging reflexes no doubt) so it might be present but for me it's no issue, even with shmups or the like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent, thanks very much. Presumably for headphone use you connect your headphones through the vacant USB port on the phone? 

I'm new to all this - any recommendations for which emulator is the most stable?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Headphones might be an issue as the USB port is covered when using the controller. You could opt for a controller that uses the USB port and then use the bluetooth connection for headphones?

 

Emulators - depends what systems you want to emulate. I have the following installed as standalone emulators:

 

Dolphin (Gamecube/Wii)

PPSSPP (PSP)

Duckstation (PS1)

AetherSX2 (PS2)

Yaba Sanshiro (Saturn)

Reicast (Dreamcast)

 

And Retroarch for the rest (Arcade, Neo Geo Pocket, PC Engine, etc.). To be honest, if you don't mind tinkering then Retroarch will cover everything.

 

I have a Powkiddy V90 that I use for 8/16 bit stuff so can't help there unfortunately.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

So the RP3 is just a RP2+ in a different shell? Is that right?


Seems to be. It’s super cheap ($119!), but somewhat disappointing. And surely the 4:3 display on the RP2+ is more suitable for the platforms it would be able to emulate?

 

One thing it will be better for is game streaming, but I guess it doesn’t have analog triggers for that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Someone posted on here settings for the RG351V to make GB games look amazing. Does anyone have the link I can’t find it for the life of me (stuck on a car trip with bad 3G) want to run through castlevania Simon’s revenge on the game boy. 
 

really tempted by that miyoo…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some first impressions for the Aya Neo Air are out. Looks like it'll appeal to people who think the Steam Deck is too big, or want an OLED screen, and don't care that it offers worse price to performance. The Ayn (different company) Loki is coming out later this year and looks like it will fufill a similar niche in terms of portability. Good to see so much competition and variety of options, but I'd like to see Valve have a stab at producing a non-chungus themselves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right. I really want a Miyoo Mini V2(is there a three?). It’s much more portable than my RG351V and looks amazing. It looks to be the gba micro upgrade I’ve always wanted. 
 

Where’s best to get one? Ali express? 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Right. I really want a Miyoo Mini V2(is there a three?). It’s much more portable than my RG351V and looks amazing. It looks to be the gba micro upgrade I’ve always wanted. 
 

Where’s best to get one? Ali express? 

 

Any also any recommended sellers on Ali Express? The officall store on their seems to be out of stock most of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, watusi said:

 

Any also any recommended sellers on Ali Express? The officall store on their seems to be out of stock most of the time.

If time harvest have it, them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the end I picked up an eBay one as aliexpress was out of stock. My reasoning is it is a better size for my kid to play on (she keeps trying to play my RG351V). 
 

Came this morning. And first impressions  for everything 8/16 it’s incredible. Brilliant screen and size.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/08/2022 at 22:34, LaveDisco said:

Right. I really want a Miyoo Mini V2(is there a three?). It’s much more portable than my RG351V and looks amazing. It looks to be the gba micro upgrade I’ve always wanted. 
 

Where’s best to get one? Ali express? 
 

 

 

Would you be interested in a swap?

 

Thed Miyoo Mini v2 screen is just that bit too small for me. So would happily swap mine for your RG351V

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

Would you be interested in a swap?

 

Thed Miyoo Mini v2 screen is just that bit too small for me. So would happily swap mine for your RG351V

I’d happily buy your Miyoo if you wanted the ££ to put towards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, watusi said:

I’d happily buy your Miyoo if you wanted the ££ to put towards. 

 

Is @LaveDiscowants to swap that would be my ideal, but will see what happens, if that is ok?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he's already got one @bradigor

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

In the end I picked up an eBay one as aliexpress was out of stock. My reasoning is it is a better size for my kid to play on (she keeps trying to play my RG351V). 
 

Came this morning. And first impressions  for everything 8/16 it’s incredible. Brilliant screen and size.

 

 

 

13 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

Is @LaveDiscowants to swap that would be my ideal, but will see what happens, if that is ok?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/08/2022 at 13:52, LaveDisco said:

Someone posted on here settings for the RG351V to make GB games look amazing. Does anyone have the link I can’t find it for the life of me (stuck on a car trip with bad 3G) want to run through castlevania Simon’s revenge on the game boy. 
 

really tempted by that miyoo…


A bit late, soz: https://retrogamecorps.com/2021/01/28/guide-handheld-screen-settings-for-rg351-devices/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/08/2022 at 14:04, LaveDisco said:

Came this morning. And first impressions  for everything 8/16 it’s incredible. Brilliant screen and size.


Did you put Onion OS on it yet? It makes vast improvements across the board. UX, screen, latency, the lot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gosh the Miyoo Mini really is... mini.

 

Question: I initially used my phone charger to charge it, but it got really hot. After some research it seems there's a lot of talk about only using 1A chargers. Is this true or is it just Internet Nerd Rumours?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GPD Win 4 leak game is underway. Some renders are out that make it look like an expensive PSP, and claims about it being faster than Steam Deck are circulating.

 

It's all a bit meaningless at the moment - faked images of new consoles are nothing new and anyone can make claims about specifications - but maybe an official announcement will be on the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

GPD Win 4 leak game is underway. Some renders are out that make it look like an expensive PSP, and claims about it being faster than Steam Deck are circulating.

 

It's all a bit meaningless at the moment - faked images of new consoles are nothing new and anyone can make claims about specifications - but maybe an official announcement will be on the way.

 

I'd be shocked if anything more top end 

coming out will be slower than a steam deck. They will however cost shitloads more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.