Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

@glbExcellent 😀

I’d love one of those, but I’ve restrained myself and gone for the cheaper Miyoo to satisfy my 16-bit/PS1 needs. The RG351P handles them very well actually, but I think the higher-res 4:3 display will suit them better, plus I couldn’t resist the cuteness of the Miyoo.

Now I’d love one with a bigger 16:9 screen (6-7”) and analog triggers, which can emulate N64/GC/PSP, and also run XCloud and PS Remote Play. I’ve cancelled my order for the Ayn Odin because it’s a bit up in the air at the moment, but it seems the Steam Deck is the only real option.

I can't blame you for cancelling the Odin, especially the Lite since there are still questions about how it will perform. I think on paper it should be surprisingly powerful as it's got all new stuff in it. But I['ve heard the catch is that the emulators for GC/PS2 are stuck together with hacks and duct tape to perform well on existing chips and you'd have to wait a while for updates to maybe still be a bit off the pace with the Base/Pro. 

I ordered my Pro ages ago knowing it would take ages to arrive, and it was the right decision at the time for what I wanted, but if I was ordering now I'd be put off. Given the choice now, it would be stupid not to order a Steam Deck instead as it's more likely to turn up quicker and they're not that much more expensive. 

I'm still enjoying the Odin Pro though. I like the size of it where I'd think I'd struggle with the Steam Deck and I'd miss the 1080p making emulated games look delicious. But alternatively my mate who ordered one at the same time has already flogged his (for a tidy profit) and bought a Steam Deck because he found the sticks too small and flimsy to play the FPSs he likes. 

It's still a bit too big to just throw in a bag or sneak out when on the bus/pub/etc. The v90 is still getting a lot of love going on holiday with me a couple of times recently when the Odin has stayed at home. 

I'm kind of missing getting stuff working. AetherSX2 for PS2 has improved a lot so I don't think I have any games that don't run well at 2x res. Dolphin for GC is a bit of a weird one where it keeps switching between official and MMJR to run games well, but for the most part they're already running pretty well on both now except for a couple of awkward games like Rogue Leader. Even Citra has had a few updates making 3DS games run really well in comparison to when I first got the Odin. 

Now I just got to pick something to play rather than keep flitting about messing with settings. 

And when it boils down to it, I think next year I'm going to end up getting some handheld Windows machine that will make it obsolete. 

40 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I ordered my Pro ages ago knowing it would take ages to arrive, and it was the right decision at the time for what I wanted, but if I was ordering now I'd be put off. Given the choice now, it would be stupid not to order a Steam Deck instead as it's more likely to turn up quicker and they're not that much more expensive. 

I do have a Steam Deck order from March, just after they started quoting October 2022, so hopefully it’ll arrive not long after!

Its a shame about the availability of the Odin because it does look to be the holy grail of retro handheld game players. Perfect size and button layout, and more than adequate performance. Crazy how none of the bigger companies have been able to make something as good - the Anbernic equivalent looks a bit shite.

On 11/07/2022 at 16:37, Paulando said:

@glbExcellent 😀

I’d love one of those, but I’ve restrained myself and gone for the cheaper Miyoo to satisfy my 16-bit/PS1 needs. The RG351P handles them very well actually, but I think the higher-res 4:3 display will suit them better, plus I couldn’t resist the cuteness of the Miyoo.

Now I’d love one with a bigger 16:9 screen (6-7”) and analog triggers, which can emulate N64/GC/PSP, and also run XCloud and PS Remote Play. I’ve cancelled my order for the Ayn Odin because it’s a bit up in the air at the moment, but it seems the Steam Deck is the only real option.

Ooh, looking forward to hearing more thoughts on the Miyoo!

The Anbernic arrived earlier. It feels nice, especially for the price. I need to order a second micro SD card. And then research the set-up. Will be a weekend project now as the SD card won’t be here for a day or two.

E3946EEF-96F2-4329-A755-5BB8C67A9875.thumb.jpeg.1cabc709c73f8635e5c86d1dad2078a1.jpeg

E7001C24-BA01-462E-A9D1-A069DDD6F840.thumb.jpeg.d366955e07f03e72ff2fff4232978493.jpeg

My Miyoo Mini arrived! Took 11 days from AliExpress. First thing I did was install MiniUI (not pictured - but it’s super simple, fast, and gorgeous), and a few games.

It’s mega cute but it’s even smaller than I was expecting :lol: You can see why Nintendo went horizontal for the GB Micro.

The d-pad is very close to the buttons, so I found Super Mario World pretty difficult to play. SNES scaled natively was quite small too. However - PS1 games look incredible, and it’s mainly to catch up on some JRPGs on the platform that I’ve never played before. Alundra looks wonderful and plays well, and I tried a couple of Mega Drive games and they look great!

MiniUI though - what a revelation.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

E3946EEF-96F2-4329-A755-5BB8C67A9875.thumb.jpeg.1cabc709c73f8635e5c86d1dad2078a1.jpeg

E7001C24-BA01-462E-A9D1-A069DDD6F840.thumb.jpeg.d366955e07f03e72ff2fff4232978493.jpeg

My Miyoo Mini arrived! Took 11 days from AliExpress. First thing I did was install MiniUI (not pictured - but it’s super simple, fast, and gorgeous), and a few games.

It’s mega cute but it’s even smaller than I was expecting :lol: You can see why Nintendo went horizontal for the GB Micro.

The d-pad is very close to the buttons, so I found Super Mario World pretty difficult to play. SNES scaled natively was quite small too. However - PS1 games look incredible, and it’s mainly to catch up on some JRPGs on the platform that I’ve never played before. Alundra looks wonderful and plays well, and I tried a couple of Mega Drive games and they look great!

MiniUI though - what a revelation.

I'm hugely tempted... What seller did you buy it from?

9 hours ago, Vimster said:

Love the look of it but like the GBA Micro it's just too diddy to be practical by the looks.

It’s not quite that level of diddiness:

41AC0EC5-E632-485A-A6B9-8671F66586E6.thumb.jpeg.ade19719f99f962bdf8a37cd00793c5b.jpeg

The controls do feel a little more cramped than the GB Micro, but I was playing a few games last night and I’ve got used to the size already. Mega Drive games look stunning on this thing. It’s impossible to convey how clear and colourful they look without seeing it irl.

I've been very tempted by the Miyoo Mini for the 640x480 screen, but the Anbernic RG280v looks like a heftier thing that looks nicer to hold with the same throw in your pocket size. Weird 320x480 screen but all of the reviews have said it looks amazing anyway. Can anyone confirm that? 

But I'll probably try to be good and not get another handheld (this year). 

It's not retro but I got Steam Link mostly working on the Odin yesterday. I wasn't going to bother as my PC is old and crappy (770 GTX) but at 720-1080 a lot of recent games are holding up really well. That's all you need on that little screen. For games and emulators too, the screen still looks good even if it's not 1:1 with the physical 1920x1080 res. 

It's given my PC a real shot in the arm knowing this. I ran the Dragon Quest XI demo and it looked stupendous. Ys IX I had to drop to 720 more to get the streaming quality up ... I reckon I can stick a wee bit more memory for next to nowt and sort that. It looks like a lot of min specs are for 1080p so worth a crack running anyway at 720 (like Final Fantasy 7 Remake). 

To bring it back to retro, Just having a bit of bother with older games. My main goal has been to get Jade Empire running as it's the only way to play handheld now. Had to do some shenanigans to just get it to load, and I still can't get controller mapping to keyboard working on the Odin. Virtual Mouse and Keyboard doesn't seem to work on older games, which I would have thought would have been the whole point. 

Really want to get it sorted out as it might save me a fortune buying retro and indie stuff on Switch that I already have. Looking at you, every Star Wars game. 

The important thing is that I've lost all urge to buy a Steam Deck now. I struggle to take the Odin out and about with me, never mind that expensive beast, so streaming over wifi is good enough for me. 

5 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I've been very tempted by the Miyoo Mini for the 640x480 screen, but the Anbernic RG280v looks like a heftier thing that looks nicer to hold with the same throw in your pocket size. Weird 320x480 screen but all of the reviews have said it looks amazing anyway. Can anyone confirm that? 

I have the RG351P which has the same res screen. It’s the best thing ever made for GBA imo, as the res scales perfectly. Other handhelds look great too.

For 16-bit/PS1 stuff it’s fine with RGA scaling. It’s a bit soft so not super satisfying to look at. But they look super clean on a 640x480 display.

The only issues I have with the RG351P is the d-pad, when you push down you can rock it left and right, it's not even a diagonal. If I press on the tip it even does it. The number of times the pieces has skipped to the left or right when pushing down in Tetris has got me annoyed. Not sure if it's my unit or just the way it is.

40 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I have the RG351P which has the same res screen. It’s the best thing ever made for GBA imo, as the res scales perfectly. Other handhelds look great too.

For 16-bit/PS1 stuff it’s fine with RGA scaling. It’s a bit soft so not super satisfying to look at. But they look super clean on a 640x480 display.

I guess I'll wait for something else to come along. My v90, the 16-bits look awesome 1:1 with some borders but GBA looks like trash with text. Sounds like I'd just be swapping problems. 

RG353P has been tempting at 640x320 but it's too big and plastic-y. Shame as it sounds like the controls are quality. 

Anbernic is all over the place with quality. I'd say I'd wait for the next mini handheld but they'll fuck something up. Apart from the screen, everything about the RG280v screams top quality and if they made another one you can guarantee it'll cheap out elsewhere. 

Also interested in what they do next for a Windows handheld, a rumoured 6800u machine for around when Ayn and Aya *might* release theirs. But they mucked up the Win600 with a stupid high price, bad stick placement and it looking cheap as fuck. But at least they release stuff you can get your hands on. 

7 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

RG353P has been tempting at 640x320 but it's too big and plastic-y. Shame as it sounds like the controls are quality. 

Yeah, this is an odd one. It’s super capable too, but I just can’t get along with the shape.

I’ve been very happy with my RG351P, which I’ve had for a year and a half now. An absolute revelation for retro gaming, and my d-pad seems fine.

20 hours ago, Fallows said:

You might as well give Onion OS a blast as well. I tried both and settled on that one.

What was it that swayed you?

I’m honestly just taken aback by how simple and fast MiniUI is. I’ve had 25 years of fucking around getting emulators to work properly, and then with artwork and save states and all that. Finally, something that just works with no faff whatsoever.

Tried Moonlight to stream from PC to see if it would sort out my Steam Link controller issues. The stream is fantastic and looks way better (even on my crappy 770 GTX where I've had to use "sunshine" rather than Geforce Experience as it's EOL)

... but it doesn't seem to be passing through the Odin Controller to be used. Which is frustrating as I've seen plenty of other people using it just fine. I'm not sure why I'm personally being put through controller pain as everyone else seems to be using both methods fine. 

I just want to stream Jade Empire. It's all I want. 

14 hours ago, ontwofronts said:

I went to buy a Miyoo from the official store and they don’t appear to be selling anything.

Droix are out of stock too

Yeah, very odd. Droix have been OOS for a couple of weeks, but when I ordered from AliExpress all of the colours were available iirc.

Complete fail. Was all fine, installed AmberElec with no issues. Inserted a blank SanDisk 125gb SD card into the Anbernic as per installation guides, ejected and attempted to install files on my Mac but the SD card couldn't be read. The Anker adaptor that worked fine two minutes earlier, isn't recognised, nor is the SD card. The adaptor and SD card just got red hot but did nothing.

No idea what went wrong there. Tried again and the SD card couldn't be found, so I couldn't even reformat it to start again. Restarted my Mac, to no avail. Then tried to insert the SD card into the reader and the SD card actually broke; don't know if it just got too hot, but the end 3mm or so just snapped off.

I fear my adventure with retro handhelds may be short lived. 'sake.

10 minutes ago, glb said:

Then tried to insert the SD card into the reader and the SD card actually broke; don't know if it just got too hot, but the end 3mm or so just snapped off.

wtf :blink:

I don’t think I’d use the adapter you get with the system, it’s probably junk like the memory card. I had a dodgy card reader from Maplins years ago and it killed two memory cards.

Did you turn off the system before you ejected the memory card?

That's the thing, I didn't. Actually bought a new Anker adaptor that is recommended by RetroCorps as part of their installation guide. And was SUPER gentle, it just crumbled as soon as I applied the tiniest bit of pressure to push it into the Anker's mircoSD slot. Baffling.

I'm attempting to install a selection of games on the same SD card that has AmberElec; if that works then I might just have to pare down the library (it's a 32gb card) and look to order a new SD card for the second slot. Or just not use that at all.

It is spectacular how bad I am at using devices that aren't made of wood. And even those give me splinters.

Sorry if I’ve missed it, but are any Anbernics able to emulate Dreamcast, I’ve been looking for a while and only found the RG552 but by all accounts it’s not good. Has anyone got it working on any other handheld?

Hmmm. Made some progress, as managed to get a file working, but think I've made a mistake in terms of what I've copied over. There's a load of files with ._ at the start in my folders. I did unzip before copying over, but seems I didn't do that properly. Scraped some, but have duplicates for every title, with the second file of the same name not working.

I think what I'll have to do is start again, but this time only adding a few files for each system to then do the scraping etc as think I've figured out how to just get, for example, .sfc files. This is probably for the best as I can properly curate my library, and add as and when needed.

The adventure is back on!

1 hour ago, glb said:

Hmmm. Made some progress, as managed to get a file working, but think I've made a mistake in terms of what I've copied over. There's a load of files with ._ at the start in my folders.

It’s a Mac thing. Get CleanMyDrive to get rid of them every time you copy games over, or there’s a tool in AmberElec to clear them too.

31 minutes ago, Paulando said:

It’s a Mac thing. Get CleanMyDrive to get rid of them every time you copy games over, or there’s a tool in AmberElec to clear them too.

Oh cool, I’ll try that. Spent the last couple of hours filtering files. Moment of truth in an hour or so…

And success! A bit of perseverance and patience did the trick. Used the Anbernic's own clean-up option to get rid of the .- files, and managed to scrape the 300+ or so files I copied across. Spent the last hour or so going on a whistle stop tour down memory lane. Mostly SNES, with a sprinkling of GBA and Megadrive fun.

Bit mystified as to why the second SD card slot caused a complete meltdown, but content to leave the AmberElec OS and games on the same card for now. Curating the collection is definitely the way forward for me, was actually quite nice to cherrypick and build a bit more confidence should I need to do similar again (I appreciate setting these up is probably child's play for most, but I feel so out of my depth with this kind of thing)

As for the Anbernic itself, it feels really nice to use. The screen is lovely, and the device is pretty comfortable to hold. Will be perfect for playing at home and to stick in my workbag and have a quick blast during my commute, which is exactly what I was after.

@glb Nice work! I do enjoy working my way through a bunch of games in a single session, especially on a new piece of hardware, but in the long run it’s definitely better to cherry pick some favourites and stick to them. You can use the ‘favourite’ function in AmberElec too, and there’s a separate section to display them on the menu.

I’m continuing to love the Miyoo Mini, and I’m surprised at how great GBA stuff looks on the 640x480 screen. I’m sure it would look fabulous on the 351MP too. The shoulder buttons are pretty useless, but it’s easy to remap L and R to the X and Y face buttons.

It also plays 32X stuff perfectly :wub::

D3372C50-B571-4FF4-929F-9ED05A397162.thumb.jpeg.455f92fa8b7a3463511e09e6a33bd1a4.jpeg