IGNORED

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

12 hours ago, Vimster said:

It'll be worth it for the updated Retroarch and cores at the very least.

Found a WiFi dongle in the RG351P box and used that to update! Very easy. They’ve turned off the annoying vibration when you switch it on and changed the brightness to go up in 1% increments, so that’s enough for me :lol:

5 hours ago, ianinthefuture said:

Yeah there's a PS2 version too, and I really want both of them. But they're, what, £600 or so each?

the HH DC is £450. Which is £350 too expensive.

I've got an Anbernic RG351P and RG351V that I have hardly used and not touched in months.  I've decided to get at least the V set up properly and start using it.  Is 351ELEC still the best firmware to go with?

I'm told it's called AmberELEC now, but all the videos I've watched recently suggest it's still the best option. 

I'm still unsure if I should buy an RG351MP, a Retroid Pocket 2+ or wait and see if someone puts out something better in a similar size. Sadly it seems like most of the manufacturers are now moving on to larger, wider devices that are going for that Switch (or worse, Steam Deck) form factor. I think it's a dead end for most of them, honestly.

4 hours ago, Quest said:

I’m still unsure if I should buy an RG351MP, a Retroid Pocket 2+ or wait and see if someone puts out something better in a similar size.

What platforms do you want to play on them (or which are your preferred platforms)?

Are there any issues with AmberElec?  I've just used the update version, not fresh install, on my RG351V but now when it boots up with shows an AmberElec splash screen for a second, then goes blank, and then repeats.RG351V.thumb.jpg.5ffa4fff7ec53ca8db8fa6932637d736.jpg

On 28/06/2022 at 15:14, Paulando said:

@AK Bell Caved and ordered an Ayn Odin Lite, which is due August-ish. Seems to be perfect for what I want it for, and slightly better than the Base/Pro for some emulation, slightly worse for others, oddly.

I've literally made a list of reasons why I shouldn't buy one to stop myself! I am travelling next month, so if I had any confidence in the mention of "August" meaning anything (I assume that basically they will start working through the queue of orders starting then) I would probably have bought one all the same. It definitely seems to have way less compromises than anything else out there. And it actually appeals to me a bit more than a Steam Deck, which seems to be basically trying to let you take a high-end PC out and about with you... but I'm not sure that I actually want to do that? I'd rather have something that complements my PC, rather than trying to compete with it. I guess I might feel differently if I didn't already have a non-portable gaming setup that I was happy with though.

It's interesting how the "lite" doesn't really seem any less capable than the other models, specs wise. I think I'd still go with the other one though, seems like there are already efforts well underway to get Windows / Linux working on it because it just uses a Snapdragon processor, whereas the MediaTek chip apparently doesn't have drivers available for those platforms and that's unlikely to change.

Erm, I’ve just jumped on the Miyoo Mini bandwagon and ordered one from AliExpress. Only found out about them a few days ago, but this photo on Reddit did funny things to me and tipped me over the edge:

093E8A00-CA24-46F3-830E-9E45B0CE9696.thumb.jpeg.463d5280f7aada8bc2e1c1495fc2805c.jpeg

I actually ordered the white one with the SNES buttons, as it’ll mainly be used for 16-bit stuff.

I’ll still keep my RG351P as it’s the perfect handheld for GBA and other handhelds due to the screen ratio/resolution, and the dual sticks for anything that works better with them.

But the screen on the Miyoo is 640x480, so will be ideal for 16-bit and a bit of PS1 (for anything that works OK with the d-pad). OnionOS and the themes look beautiful too, and the hardware is just delightful.

EDIT: I mean, this front end is gorgeous:

0D0E62A1-4CA8-473D-8006-AF8AF1AA2726.thumb.jpeg.aed4fcdb04fb39cf0e5f696ef4a46481.jpeg

I really want one too after I looked at them after hearing @elmo talk so positively about his on TCGS. Do I need this as well as my RG351P and RG351V though? Kind of hard to justify however sexy it looks.

36 minutes ago, Stejay said:

I really want one too after I looked at them after hearing @elmo talk so positively about his on TCGS. Do I need this as well as my RG351P and RG351V though? Kind of hard to justify however sexy it looks.

If I already had an RG351V it would be a much tougher decision tbh, as that has a 640x480 screen too I believe? That’s the main thing for me really, because while home console stuff looks decent on the 351P with RGA scaling, it’s not quite as gorgeous as GBA stuff does thanks to the resolution.

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

Found this!:

26844735-0C5D-433E-93DE-D42FD66717AF.thumb.jpeg.3d21c903decab67f6dd8bcfc89f5b740.jpeg

Woah! Quite a difference. As nice as the OnionOS looks, I think I’ll stick with my 351P and 351V for now, unless someone has a compelling reason otherwise?

Honestly, we truly live in a golden age of gaming. I’ve dreamed about handhelds like this ever since I bought a Dingoo A320 ten years ago (which was shite). The fact that there are so many quality, inexpensive options is just magical.

Also crazy that Nintendo haven’t made their own GB/GBA Classic!

16 hours ago, Stejay said:

Woah! Quite a difference. As nice as the OnionOS looks, I think I’ll stick with my 351P and 351V for now, unless someone has a compelling reason otherwise?

You can get stickers to make them look like a SNES controller:

DA0C11DB-5260-4CEE-89E2-CE145301019F.jpeg.e8429c22a8ebdae587256aed6b6564ec.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Honestly, we truly live in a golden age of gaming. I’ve dreamed about handhelds like this ever since I bought a Dingoo A320 ten years ago (which was shite). The fact that there are so many quality, inexpensive options is just magical.

Also crazy that Nintendo haven’t made their own GB/GBA Classic!

Yes, I used to have a GP32 back in the day. It was pretty rubbish even then as it had no battery indicator whatsoever so you'd be playing something and it would just turn off, but not in a PSP sleep mode kind of way. Plus it was very plasticy, the screen was plastic, it just felt awful. 

I love my 351P, it does everything I want it to and, with a bit of messing with settings, looks and feels great. I have a good selection of pick-up-and-play games in my Favourites. It's just so convenient, but also capable. It doesn't feel like a compromise. 

On 02/07/2022 at 10:35, Stejay said:

Are there any issues with AmberElec?  I've just used the update version, not fresh install, on my RG351V but now when it boots up with shows an AmberElec splash screen for a second, then goes blank, and then repeats.RG351V.thumb.jpg.5ffa4fff7ec53ca8db8fa6932637d736.jpg

Not that I'm aware of. I did an update last night and having only played a couple of games it seems fine.

I just need to figure out setting up Spectrum controls which constantly baffles me. 

11 minutes ago, new666uk said:

Not that I'm aware of. I did an update last night and having only played a couple of games it seems fine.

I just need to figure out setting up Spectrum controls which constantly baffles me. 

Sorry, I meant to amend my post. I ended up doing a fresh install instead and it works perfectly now.

56 minutes ago, new666uk said:

I had some joy with that last night. I'm at work so will update this later but I found that you can assign Spectrum keys to d-pad and buttons on the unit, then in game just Redefine Keys (if it has that option) and press the corresponding physical buttons, select Keyboard as the control option in game. Q A O P Space are a good catch-all for games that don't let you define keys. Alternatively set the cursor keys 6, 7, 8, 9 and 0 as directions and use Cursor joystick option in games. I've yet to find a way to tell Retroarch to assign Kempston to the console controls. 

Once in game press both sticks in, choose Options then scroll down to the Joypad Left Mapping etc and choose a key. When you've done this for all keys you will want to save the Retroarch config by coming out of the Quick menu, scrolling down to Configuration File and saving. You may have to use the keyboard overlay in game (Select) to define the keys. 

It's handy as well because if a game uses Up to jump you can assign one of the face buttons instead of Up on the d-pad. You wouldn't be able to do that if it was simulating a Kempston joystick. 

I'm using a RG351M with the latest version of Amberelec. They made some changes to Laserdisc games and they now use a different core. Does anyone know what format and folder they need to be in and where I could download a selection? I have quite a lot in a format that Windows Daphne can handle but I don't think they're suitable for retroarch.

*Edit*. I think I have it now. Would love a download source for the singe specific stuff though.

2 hours ago, Flub said:

I'm using a RG351M with the latest version of Amberelec. They made some changes to Laserdisc games and they now use a different core. Does anyone know what format and folder they need to be in and where I could download a selection? I have quite a lot in a format that Windows Daphne can handle but I don't think they're suitable for retroarch.

*Edit*. I think I have it now. Would love a download source for the singe specific stuff though.

https://amberelec.org/systems/

That's a handy page to bookmark as it gives details of supported formats, what BIOS files to use etc.

On 01/07/2022 at 17:29, Quest said:

I'm told it's called AmberELEC now, but all the videos I've watched recently suggest it's still the best option. 

I'm still unsure if I should buy an RG351MP, a Retroid Pocket 2+ or wait and see if someone puts out something better in a similar size. Sadly it seems like most of the manufacturers are now moving on to larger, wider devices that are going for that Switch (or worse, Steam Deck) form factor. I think it's a dead end for most of them, honestly.

On 01/07/2022 at 21:30, Paulando said:

What platforms do you want to play on them (or which are your preferred platforms)?

Having gone down a bit of a rabbit hole the past few days, in the same position. Really just after a way to play SNES/Megadrive era games during my commute and can’t make the choice between the handhelds. Was leaning towards the Retroid 2+ because the set-up sounded more straightforward but open to persuasion.

The Odin looks lovely, but might be a bit rich for my first foray into the market.

Just now, glb said:

Having gone down a bit of a rabbit hole the past few days, in the same position. Really just after a way to play SNES/Megadrive era games during my commute and can’t make the choice between the handhelds. Was leaning towards the Retroid 2+ because the set-up sounded more straightforward but open to persuasion.

The Odin looks lovely, but might be a bit rich for my first foray into the market.

I’d probably forget about the Odin for now purely because of the insane order times. I’ve asked them to cancel my order for now, I’ll pick one up if/when they become readily available, or pick up an alternative in the meantime. Other people have been waiting nearly a year apparently, and they keep announcing more delays.

For SNES/Mega Drive I’d probably go for one of the Anbernics with a 640x480 screen.

10 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I’d probably forget about the Odin for now purely because of the insane order times. I’ve asked them to cancel my order for now, I’ll pick one up if/when they become readily available, or pick up an alternative in the meantime. Other people have been waiting nearly a year apparently, and they keep announcing more delays.

For SNES/Mega Drive I’d probably go for one of the Anbernics with a 640x480 screen.

Thank you for the quick reply; yeah the Odin, while appealing, just isn’t for me at the minute. Similarly, love the sound of a Steam Deck but given my lack of PC expertise would be like buying a sports car just to drive to Aldi once a week.

As long as the Anbernics is reasonably straightforward to set-up looks like it’ll do the job nicely. Assuming I also need to factor in a half-decent SD card?

36 minutes ago, glb said:

As long as the Anbernics is reasonably straightforward to set-up looks like it’ll do the job nicely. Assuming I also need to factor in a half-decent SD card?

In my experience with the RG351P, installing 351ELEC/AmberElec was super easy, but crucially really easy to maintain too (e.g. add ROMs, scrape artwork, handle saves, update). The controls are excellent and it feels great to hold. I would get a 640x480 model that’s compatible with AmberElec though if it’s for SNES/MD stuff.

And yep, I wouldn’t use the memory card you get with it!

Alternatively there’s the Miyoo Mini, but it’s quite a bit smaller, and the general consensus is that it’s less comfortable. I have ordered one recently though because they’re cute af (see the white one with a SNES-style sticker above).

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

In my experience with the RG351P, installing 351ELEC/AmberElec was super easy, but crucially really easy to maintain too (e.g. add ROMs, scrape artwork, handle saves, update). The controls are excellent and it feels great to hold. I would get a 640x480 model that’s compatible with AmberElec though if it’s for SNES/MD stuff.

And yep, I wouldn’t use the memory card you get with it!

Alternatively there’s the Miyoo Mini, but it’s quite a bit smaller, and the general consensus is that it’s less comfortable. I have ordered one recently though because they’re cute af (see the white one with a SNES-style sticker above).

Ordered the matte black RG351MP :)

Think I've got an SD card lying around somewhere but otherwise will order one. Order says next-day delivery, so hopefully that is the case. Off tomorrow and probably WFH Tuesday, so if so will get everything up-and-running for Wednesday's commute aka play A Link to the Past for the dozenth time.

That Miyoo Mini is SO damn cute. If I get on well with the Anbernic then maybe that'll be the start of a collection... one can never have too many awesome handheld consoles. I think Abraham Lincoln or Oscar Wilde tweeted that.

My liking of AmberElec has diminished somewhat after the June update; I thought I'd let it do an OTA update today before embarking on a playthrough of Final Fantasy VI, only for it to run through the install, then error at this point, leaving me with a non-functioning install (boots to 351Elec logo and then hangs).

20220710_213057_copy_1600x1200.thumb.jpg.d1bb4b19c2b3325f483019211a74b077.jpg

Haven't had the heart to reformat and start again. Just a bit irksome; seems a bit daft for it to go through an MD5 check process after installing, and have no fallback if it fails.