IGNORED

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

NEG

On 22/04/2022 at 10:52, Luseth said:

Thank you Robo :) 

I have actually ordered one, they must have had an xd plus in yesterday as it came up on their website this morning so have ordered that as it has better specs and was only released, 4 years ago I think? So should have a bit of life in it yet, have you ever tried putting Cleanrom on the device? I'm contemplating that, there's only a handful of games that I want to use it for (all titles I own, I just find it cumbersome to keep taking out and putting away old consoles when I have little time, and space for that matter).

The more I was looking the original GPD Win looked a bad shout and everyone was suggesting moving onto the 2nd version as soon as possible due to battery issues and the such ^_^

So my impressions of this have been pretty positive :) It has already been updated to the black seraph android OS (surprised CEX allowed it to come in seeing as it's not the stock OS?). There are a couple of niggles which I am yet to work out with it (possibly because I haven't spent enough time with it yet) the first is the audio, it defaults to headphones despite there not being one connected or plugged in (apparently a common issue with the firmware when moving to the Black Seraph android update and should be solveable), the second I suspect is my unfamiliarity with android in that I put games on my SD card and can't find them through retroarch. I can find them through the file browser so have just copied over games I want to play onto the internal memory for now :)

That aside, it's great, it's lovely and quick and it plays everything I wanted it for (mostly fire emblem games and GBA stuff, but it's really smooth and the screen is pretty good, it's a good size and the console is substantially more comfortable than the RG350 I had (I imagine mostly because it's just larger). Closed, it looks almost exactly like a large 3DS / DS. I might try DS games on it at some point but not in a rush for that at the moment ^_^ I'm quite looking forward to taking it away on holiday later in the year when I will really get to spend some time gaming on it ^_^ 

My Anbernic 351P arrived today, I haven't had a chance to turn it on yet but it seems a nicely sized device. I can't imagine wanting to go for anything smaller. I hope it'll keep my lust for an Ayn Odin at bay.. 😆

I attempted to setup amberelec on the 351P yesterday, it seemed to work fine but I can't open any games through the main interface - it always crashes and returns to the game list.

Opening Retroarch and loading a game from there is fine, runs without issue, which means my roms and bios files are OK.

Unsure what to next other than re-flash..

AmberELEC community to the rescue - the Mac creates lots of ._ files and there's a tool built in the OS to tidy those up - ran the tool, problem solved!

39 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Nice! How long did it take to arrive in the end?

Well, it's not in my hands yet but I ordered Feb 18th so two months. A mate of mine ordered one a couple of weeks later and sounds like it's on the same boat because he ordered a different colour. 

I'd be interested to see what turns up too. I ordered a Super Dock as well. I suspect that might come later but might turn up at the same time.

Not too fussed as it sounds like it's a still a few controller lag updates away from not being shite.  (edit: I might just be being pessimistic. looks like others are getting theirs now)

22 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

I ordered Feb 18th so two months.

D2F0DCC9-2556-467E-8996-E4C042CCCC98.gif.b99207fe6677c872b8f25ede1771ad75.gif

Really looking forward to your detailed analysis, particularly in DC/PS2/GC-era emulation. And also super jealous, of course.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

D2F0DCC9-2556-467E-8996-E4C042CCCC98.gif.b99207fe6677c872b8f25ede1771ad75.gif

Really looking forward to your detailed analysis, particularly in DC/PS2/GC-era emulation. And also super jealous, of course.

when did it become MAY?!?!

Yeah, got it from indiegogo 

@AK Bell Have you had no confirmation of customs charges etc then? Or do they deliver and then bill you afterwards? Not sure how it works these days.

I’m so close to ordering one, but those potential charges push it into ‘I can’t quite justify that’ territory.

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

@AK Bell Have you had no confirmation of customs charges etc then? Or do they deliver and then bill you afterwards? Not sure how it works these days.

I’m so close to ordering one, but those potential charges push it into ‘I can’t quite justify that’ territory.

I'm getting very detailed information from DHL every step of the way but I'm not sure if I'm going to be stung right at the end. Doesn't look like it so far though as I have a release status from customs and it's travelling over to the UK, but does have a warning in that:  "Unless there is an adhoc physical examination or a stop by another regulatory authority the shipment will proceed to DHL delivery facility."

There was about a £35 shipping charge (-ish, it's all in Hong Kong dollars) and that seems the only extra so far. 

The Odin Pro turned up early. Arrived yesterday and still setting it up rather than playing on it. Not an issue with the system, just getting all the software set up, files copied over, converting some formats, renaming files. It's frustrating as all the reviews all say "took me 15 mins to set up" but that's because they have practice faffing about Retroarch every other week for a new device and video. 

It's a nice wee thing though. Got some GameCube stuff running well on Dolphin MMJR. Just played some Mashed on PS2, so even if most games don't work that's game night sorted. 

A bit of a sketchy moment with my left stick having a bit of a judder but it's gone now after a restart. A friend got his the same day too and his dpad didn't work until after a couple of restarts. But all's been well since.

Picked up a Rg351V from here to supplement my Rg351P. After a good fiddle I much prefer the form factor and screen. I think I’ll just keep the V as the 4:3 screen fits my usage better. 

it’s also prompted me to cancel my analogue pocket order. Given I don’t use real carts I don’t think pocket is really give me much other than unwanted complications. 

Ooh, right stick juddering bother has come back with a vengeance on the Odin Pro. I've had to email them about a replacement.

Sounds like it's just me and it's bad luck. Looks like I'm opening this baby up because I don't really want to wait on a new machine. It's otherwise ticking over okay unless there is a menu that uses right stick (and I can turn the sticks on and off). 

Anyone got any recommendations for Switch thumbpads in the meantime?

also, since I forgot to mention. I didn't get stung with any custom charges but I've heard of it happening and Ayn don't accept any liability for it. If you don't accept the charges and it goes back to them, no refund. 

You can buy them from their proper store now (as of yesterday, I think) but I don't think it makes a difference. 

My Odin Pro is frustrating playable despite it's right stick being knackered. It's only really noticeable on button config pages and a couple of app menu's the insanely force the right stick to be used for navigation as well. Why can't I turn it off Launchbox? Why do you need it? WHY?!?!

I got most things ticking over nicely. So far I've got GC games at 2x native res. I can get there or there abouts the target fps just changing settings, but sticking the fan on makes it solid (probably a good tip that, leave the fan for last). What works on one game doesn't on another. F-Zero GX needed the CPU speed overridden to 300%, Wind Waker just need a few graphic hacks. 

EDIT: Rogue Leader is running terribly. Just giving it a test while writing this. It's notoriously shit on emulators though. 

PS2 works surprisingly well on the games I've tried. I've not tried anything too intensive yet. I've been too distracted playing Mashed rather than anything good, and some kid's licence I worked on that I've not played for 10 years. Got them running at 2x native but I reckon that'll be the end of that performance. 

Having bother with PS1 performance despite everyone saying it runs well even from Retroarch. Hopefully I just need to play around with that more. 

I wouldn't mind but I started getting some decent PS1 performance out of my v90 last weekend with only the odd skipped frame to make a very playable Final Fantasy 9 and Ridge Racer. 

Okay, so Ayn are sending me a replacement stick. From the sounds of it, when they do replace stuff they do a pretty good job of sending you all the tools you need too. 

But since I got to open it up anyway, I've stuck in a Switch thumbstick for now.

It's been a bit of a faff. I think I was using the right size Philips head as it got the case off and the screws are the same throughout but the screws on the stick itself weren't moving. In the end I had run of to B&M to get a new one with a bigger handle and a twisty end so I could really press down on it and get it moving. Good job the stick is already knackered as I was worried about it getting squished. Used the size PH00, btw

Getting the case off was a pain too. It's really clicked together tight. If you go watch the teardown videos, about half of it are trying to get in with a plectrum. I worked smarter rather than harder. I'd get in with one plectrum and then leave it in working on it with another. And then another. I had 5 of them in the top of it to crack it open (3 fat, 2 thin for the more awkward bits).

Going to have to do it all again when the replacement turns up. Hopefully the case will be easier this time. The switch ones are a bit fatter and I had to take the rubber cap off to get it in. And then worse still get the little sod back on again (lined up right). I didn't fancy doing that again on the other stick just for symmetry, so I'll just do it again in the future for the replacement. 

In other news, PS1 seems to be working well after all. I was trying GTA and it just couldn't get past 20fps no matter what I did. I think it's just a bit of a dud. Just about everything else runs smooth even in Retroarch. 

Everyone else has had bother with Rogue Leader on GC too. Pretty good video at the end of my post of someone getting everything singing easier enough except that one. 

Generally all worth a watch through if you're trying to get stuff to work ...until someone comes up with something better. For the most part GC and PS2 involves setting native resolution down to see if it helps, if so put back up and try hacks instead, if not put back up and set the CPU speed to be 75% or 300%. 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have experience with GPD WIN 3?. Some one is offering one as part of a trade for a synth. While Ideally I want a Steam deck maybe take it up if I trade for something else later on.

Ugh, got the replacement parts for my broken thumbstick and it's actually for the triggers. Glad I stuck in switch sticks into the Odin Pro now or it would be useless. 

Got Rogue Leader almost playable using the standard Dolphin and not the MMRJ version. Still crap though. It's worth having a few emulators rather than trusting in one. I'm probably seeing the worst possible end of it trying to get stuff to run that doesn't. When I should just be enjoying most things working great.

3DS is working better than seems to be reported elsewhere. It's a toss of the coin what works on Citra, and it doesn't give you much to tweak (and a pain in the bum to use too despite being light on features). But I've got loads working on it fine. Again, it's more for the challenge since I've just done up my physical 3DS collection, but it's nice to see the games at 2x resolution. 

The big success is PS1 (despite my earlier reports), just on Retroarch using Swanstation. You can normally that up to 1080 no bother. On all the games with polys on pre-rendered backgrounds look pretty good despite the resolution disparity. They blend together surprisingly well and I'm not sure if it's doing something clever under the hood. But Final Fantasy 9 looks way better on it than it does on the Switch copy I just bought. 

My only real issue is that it's on Android so it can be a pain to get stuff working. It's an application problem really as these emulators rarely work out of the box. There tends to be a song and dance to get them working right and it's a lot easier to crack open config files in Windows than use the terrible menus and limited options they offer. It's not impossible to do some via your PC but the back and forth is cumbersome. 

I miss just being able to throw roms at my v90 and I'm a bit annoyed Ayn have announced the Odin Loki for Windows 11 where you can really get in there and muck around with it. 

Retro Game Corps has it's guide up now. Mostly a copy-paste of Android and pointing to Retroarch guide but some useful specific bits and bobs in it.  

https://retrogamecorps.com/2022/05/28/ayn-odin-starter-guide/

• 4 weeks later...

@AK Bell Caved and ordered an Ayn Odin Lite, which is due August-ish. Seems to be perfect for what I want it for, and slightly better than the Base/Pro for some emulation, slightly worse for others, oddly.

I want something I can pick up and play to run PS Remote Play and XCloud, which can also emulate some games from hardware out of reach for my RG351P (a bit of DC/PSP, might have a go of some GC - not too bothered about Rogue Leader, thankfully!). If it can play Virtua Tennis and Hot Shots Golf I’ll be happy :lol:

This seems to be the best thing out there at the moment which isn’t £400/500+

After a good six months AmberELEC (formerly 351ELEC) got a big update on 27/06. They've updated Retroarch, support for updated cores, some new systems supported (mainly very obscure ones). Plug your wifi adapter in and update. 

On 28/06/2022 at 16:51, Vimster said:

After a good six months AmberELEC (formerly 351ELEC) got a big update on 27/06. They've updated Retroarch, support for updated cores, some new systems supported (mainly very obscure ones). Plug your wifi adapter in and update. 

Is it worth upgrading if you’re not interested in the new platforms?

21 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Is it worth upgrading if you’re not interested in the new platforms?

It'll be worth it for the updated Retroarch and cores at the very least.