Jump to content
IGNORED

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread


NEG
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

Depends if they're written for the system I guess, like the recent demake of Sonic or just a PC game made to look less "smart".

 

The ones I am looking at talk about running on original hardware, so guessing they'll work

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Broadly at least, some stuff that really thrashes hardware might not, you need FPGA or higher for some mega drive demos.  I believe C64 Sonic also works on a Mister because the REU is implemented but I don't know about emulators.

 

The Mister stuff scares me. I might have a look next year into that though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Retroid Pocket 2 + sounds like it's blowing the lid off all expectations. Renewed OS which sounds like an absolute cake walk to use, bumped specs which convincingly supports everything up to Gamecube and it even gives us a taste of PS2 support. The hardware sounds great too, featuring rumble, HDMI out, touch screen, bigger battery with faster charging, headphone jack, 1TB SD card support, stereo speakers, low-power consumption, re-done buttons and d-pad with more travel and less click (based on feedback) and analogue sticks.

 

All that is delivered for $99.99, which absolutely dog walks many of the recent entries from Ambernic and GPD in terms of value.

 

I've been looking to update my original GPD for a while now and in truth, I've been holding out for the Odin by Ayn, which looks to offer a very solid performance profile for the cost, but this little device really has turned my head and for the price, it does seem unbeatable.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd love to see reviewers try more Android games for the RP2+ - one of the minor pitfalls of the Steam Deck is that it doesn't have a comprehensive way of playing Genshin Impact or Android games as a whole while you're in SteamOS/Linux, so something like the Retroid still has some appeal to me if a solution isn't around by then.

 

For a hundred bucks though, it's still an absolute bargain regardless of that small desire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

The Retroid Pocket 2 + sounds like it's blowing the lid off all expectations. Renewed OS which sounds like an absolute cake walk to use, bumped specs which convincingly supports everything up to Gamecube

I'd be wary of buying it for GameCube, that's quite a step up from N64 and PSP. It looks like really good value for money though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

I'd be wary of buying it for GameCube, that's quite a step up from N64 and PSP. It looks like really good value for money though

 

For sure and I don't think anybody should be expecting full speed emulation but "most titles are playable" is what I'm hearing. This is a good look at the system handling Luigi's Mansion & Wind Waker:

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Robo_1 said:

 

For sure and I don't think anybody should be expecting full speed emulation but "most titles are playable" is what I'm hearing. This is a good look at the system handling Luigi's Mansion & Wind Waker:

 

 

 

Those are pretty light weight. I believe Retro Game Corps tried Need For Speed and it ran at a mighty 1 frame per second

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

Those are pretty light weight. I believe Retro Game Corps tried Need For Speed and it ran at a mighty 1 frame per second

 

It's certainly going to be a mixed bag plus you'll probably need to do some per game tinkering to get the best results. It's not had a general release yet so I guess there will be a lot reviews and performance tests to come.

 

I'll probably hold out until then before deciding which boat to jump on as the Odin will probably have had a similar amount of play testing by then too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Nifta said:

GameCube seems to need to be run at 70% resolution to get playable speeds, according to retrogamecorps. 

 

Still a bargain though.

Yeah, completely. At the price it's a ridiculous steal.

 

Even without talking the price into account, it's still a brilliant device, come to think about it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You'd need to have a very high tolerance for glitches and framerate issues to actually go through anything above ps1 on one of these things(as opposed to just playing for 5 minutes).

Can't imagine suffering through a PSP game on one of these things all the time knowing that the PSP/Vita exist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, partious said:

You'd need to have a very high tolerance for glitches and framerate issues to actually go through anything above ps1 on one of these things(as opposed to just playing for 5 minutes).

Can't imagine suffering through a PSP game on one of these things all the time knowing that the PSP/Vita exist.

We're getting to the point when that isn't true anymore. The X18S (and I think the Retroid Pocket 2+) can play at double resolution for most things, and PSP and Vita may exist but they aren't getting any more affordable.

 

Don't get me wrong, original hardware is almost always superior. If that specific hardware isn't your only focus, however, the metric shifts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Phantoon said:

We're getting to the point when that isn't true anymore. The X18S (and I think the Retroid Pocket 2+) can play at double resolution for most things, and PSP and Vita may exist but they aren't getting any more affordable.

 

Don't get me wrong, original hardware is almost always superior. If that specific hardware isn't your only focus, however, the metric shifts.

 

That's true enough. I'm happy to have a bunch of handhelds for different systems but I know some people are looking for the one that does everything.

 

I should add I recently got a rg351v, mainly for pico 8, and I think it's an excellent device. I'm really pleasantly surprised by the build quality, the shell and buttons etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi. Does anyone have an Anbernic RG552 yet?

 

Interested in how well it does CPS, MAME and Neogeo. N64 would be useful as mine has become glitchy. I know it will do GBx just fine which also fills a system gap for me.


I have several 8 and 16 bit consoles so happy playing directly on those but the above few systems would make it worthwhile if they play reasonably well. 

Thanks

Paul

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't (yet) but I will say that the RK3326 chips that powered the previous generation of handhelds ran all of those just fine, with MAME being good for most 2D stuff. So the RG552 should also be fine. That said, don't expect the likes of arcade Tekken or Killer Instinct to work well. Killer Instinct 2 sits at around 40 fps at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My daughter keeps trying to play my 351m so looking at a 351v for her. Can I simply clone my microsd and put it straight in? 

 

Not for a while yet so just planning ahead 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, bradigor said:

My daughter keeps trying to play my 351m so looking at a 351v for her. Can I simply clone my microsd and put it straight in? 

 

Not for a while yet so just planning ahead 

The game SD card, yes. You'll need a different image for SD card 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, new666uk said:

Thanks @Phantoon that sounds like I could just get a 351mp then. I'm not a massive fan of 3d on consoles as I just can't get used to the thumbsticks (give me a mouse and keyboard anyday) hence the bias to older 2d based systems.

 

Yeah, any of the 351 family will play what you're looking to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Where is best to buy an Anbernic RG351mp or RG552? Droidx or somewhere like Banggood or Anbernic direct? I assume the latter two are cheaper because there is no tax applied but that it will probably get intercepted by the ever helpful post office/courier team and I'll be charged VAT?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.