Jump to content
IGNORED

Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread


NEG
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Everything was saying November for the RG352 < looks at watch and taps foot in frustration >

Now I'm hearing more about RG353 next year now. 

It's like they don't want my money!!! 

RG552 is allegedly the 11th of November, and is landscape style. RG353 is portrait and is due at some point in the future. Rest assured Anbernic really want your money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yakumo said:

Need to get a friend something that can play N64 stuff OK as a present, any suggestions please?

You might have to go X18S for that, and that has quality issues. Possibly the Retroid Pocket 2+, although not many people outside of Taki Udon have seen it running anything.

 

N64 is outside of handhelds like the RG351's capabilities. People may say it can run N64, but it's really bad at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

And that whole channel in general is always right over the latest developments in all this stuff and manages to tell you without at any point gurning at the camera or spending 45 minutes to show one thing.

 

Yeah gave the video a watch ahead of time. Easy to follow.

 

Can you get an image for the second card for roms? MAME is usually the biggest headache.

 

Obviously not after direct links, more whether I need to do a lot of legwork.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bradigor said:

 

Yeah gave the video a watch ahead of time. Easy to follow.

 

Can you get an image for the second card for roms? MAME is usually the biggest headache.

 

Obviously not after direct links, more whether I need to do a lot of legwork.

If you use the right romset it's relatively painless. MAME 2003+ is generally recommended. Here's a guide to setting it up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, yakumo said:

Need to get a friend something that can play N64 stuff OK as a present, any suggestions please?

 

I'm actively waiting for the next generation of these machines to see what can do it. If they can't do N64 then there isnt much point as they've nailed everything below it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, AK Bell said:

 

I'm actively waiting for the next generation of these machines to see what can do it. If they can't do N64 then there isnt much point as they've nailed everything below it. 

Its bonkers as he has a decent mobile phone but he wants a handheld just to play retro stuff on.  But the N64 is still enigma to emulate on, I admit playing and finishing Perfect Dark would be something that would be attractive. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sounds fantastic from that link, should be able to run most things with any luck:

 

A new generation of retro gaming is here! ANBERNIC take the stage with their newest retro gaming handheld, the ANBERNIC RG552.

The RG552 is powered by a RockChip RK3399 SoC. This SoC boasts a hexa-core processor that runs at up to speeds of 1.8GHz, and a Mali-T860 GPU. The RG552 also features 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM. Play more retro games at higher resolutions and stabler framerates than ever before!

Storage is also no longer an issue with the RG552! With built-in 64GB eMMC 5.1, and the option to use not one, but TWO microSD cards, you can effortlessly manage your game collections.

New to the RG line is the inclusion of a 10-point touch screen with a whopping 1920×1152 IPS display. This goes perfectly with the new Android 7.1 operating system, which grants you access to tons of free community developed emulators and apps. For those who do not like Android, it is also possible to boot into alternative operating systems via microSD card as well.

For the first time in ANBERNIC’s history, the RG552 is a retro gaming handheld with active cooling. The inclusion of a fan and heatsink means this gaming handheld will stay ultra-cool when emulating the most demanding games out there.

Even the battery life has been extended! Two 3200mAh batteries allow for hours of gaming on the go without a need to recharge.

All of this is wrapped up in ANBERNIC’s signature lightweight plastic shell with dual analogue sticks and a full suite of face and shoulder buttons, for ergonomic comfort and ease of use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Sounds fantastic from that link, should be able to run most things with any luck:

 

A new generation of retro gaming is here! ANBERNIC take the stage with their newest retro gaming handheld, the ANBERNIC RG552.

The RG552 is powered by a RockChip RK3399 SoC. This SoC boasts a hexa-core processor that runs at up to speeds of 1.8GHz, and a Mali-T860 GPU. The RG552 also features 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM. Play more retro games at higher resolutions and stabler framerates than ever before!

Storage is also no longer an issue with the RG552! With built-in 64GB eMMC 5.1, and the option to use not one, but TWO microSD cards, you can effortlessly manage your game collections.

New to the RG line is the inclusion of a 10-point touch screen with a whopping 1920×1152 IPS display. This goes perfectly with the new Android 7.1 operating system, which grants you access to tons of free community developed emulators and apps. For those who do not like Android, it is also possible to boot into alternative operating systems via microSD card as well.

For the first time in ANBERNIC’s history, the RG552 is a retro gaming handheld with active cooling. The inclusion of a fan and heatsink means this gaming handheld will stay ultra-cool when emulating the most demanding games out there.

Even the battery life has been extended! Two 3200mAh batteries allow for hours of gaming on the go without a need to recharge.

All of this is wrapped up in ANBERNIC’s signature lightweight plastic shell with dual analogue sticks and a full suite of face and shoulder buttons, for ergonomic comfort and ease of use.

 

1.8GHz - doesn’t sound like a massive speed increase over the previous chip to me. Still, we will probably see multiple machines based around it in the next year...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have an Anbernic RG351V and I still have the default OS setup that came pre-installed on the unit.

 

It bugs me that there are essentially two OS-level-esque programs running on this thing. When I boot it up, it shows EmuELEC (is it?) and then when I go to exit a game, I press the middle and analog down, and it brings up RetroArch - which has a totally different UI to navigate.

 

And then I have to "Close content" in RetroArch and then "Quit RetroArch" to get back to EmuELEC and pick a new game.

 

Is there a better way to do this? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, BlackHoodedCrow said:

I have an Anbernic RG351V and I still have the default OS setup that came pre-installed on the unit.

 

It bugs me that there are essentially two OS-level-esque programs running on this thing. When I boot it up, it shows EmuELEC (is it?) and then when I go to exit a game, I press the middle and analog down, and it brings up RetroArch - which has a totally different UI to navigate.

 

And then I have to "Close content" in RetroArch and then "Quit RetroArch" to get back to EmuELEC and pick a new game.

 

Is there a better way to do this? 

I've been on 351Elec too long to be certain, but try double pressing Start and Select.

 

I can't recommend getting off the basic firmware enough though; the are large performance increases to be had if nothing else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.