Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

Just now, Lorfarius said:

Looking at their Negative feedback I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

Was just about to post that.

It's such a shame.

On 14/04/2021 at 08:10, Lorfarius said:

Not sure if anyone has picked up an RG351V but there's a huge flaw with a number of the SD cards. They bought in a faulty batch and if you get any screen flicker when you turn it on its a sign the cards will fail.

Crap. Just bought one yesterday based on this thread.

Still is it just the SD card? Not the unit itself?

9 hours ago, LaveDisco said:

Crap. Just bought one yesterday based on this thread.

Still is it just the SD card? Not the unit itself?

Yeah it's just the SD cards. It's not all of them and when you turn it on if the text/screen flickers at first it's one of the dodgy cards. The units are fine. To be honest they are just pretty generic SD cards anyway so I'd always recommend swapping stuff like that out. I have a few spare official Toshiba ones knocking about so just used those.

So I took a punt with the RG351p, my first emulation handheld, and it arrived this week. The thing really is superb, with one major caveat: the D Pad.

Lots of travel, feels 'unbalanced' and not nice to use. Is this just what to expect with emulation devices such as these? It's a real shame and surprised to see no reviews mentioning it.

Yeah they aren't the best. Not bad but not great either. It's why I'm still using a RG300 as a Sega style d-pad or NGP style clicky stick is a far more significant upgrade than playing N64 games with a dodgy frame rate for me 

12 hours ago, iloverage said:

So I took a punt with the RG351p, my first emulation handheld, and it arrived this week. The thing really is superb, with one major caveat: the D Pad.

Lots of travel, feels 'unbalanced' and not nice to use. Is this just what to expect with emulation devices such as these? It's a real shame and surprised to see no reviews mentioning it.

On 03/03/2021 at 11:12, Dudley said:

- The D-Pad is good but not super great, it's better than modern consoles but it's not as good as my 8BitDo controllers and probably not as good as my Gameboy Rpi case. It's a little spongy and occasionally I've not held it well enough and characters have stopped moving when I didn't want them to.

I mentioned it!

i haven't had a problem with the dpad on my 351. Mine is basically used as a ngpc machine. Battered the hell out of it with match of the millenium. Only thing i have noticed is that surrounding the pad its going shiny.

Yeah I think it's better than iloverage's impression although obviously individual unit quality control is often not perfect on these things but I certainly see even with mine where he's coming from. I do think the kind of semi-amateur reviewers who get these early on youtube and make the high views videos do have a tendency to gloss over problems in order to keep getting them early.

The d-pad is fine, and definitely upper tier as far as d-pads go. If anything, the surface and corners are a little ‘harsh’, and they are more rounded and softer on the GBA/GB Micro. You can set the left stick to double up as the d-pad for GBA games though, and I find myself switching between them depending on the situation.

I do reckon the d-pad on the GBA SP is one of the worst of the lot - super-clicky and shallow, and not much fun to use :P

I've spent some more time with the rg351p and I was definitely too harsh before. I was playing Kuru Kuru Kururin (badly). For stuff that requires twitchy 360 movement it's not perfect, but its fine for everything else. I've learnt to love the damn thing!

• 4 weeks later...

Lads. I'm about to buy an Anbernic RG351V as I like the idea of having all these retro libraries accessible in a nice little handheld. I also want to have it loaded with games out of the box as I'm a deeply lazy man with no interest in finding and downloading giant rom sets. 

Is that still by best option? I saw earlier in the thread that these things move pretty quickly and don't want to order to then find out there's a fancier new one somewhere on AliExpress that emulates the newer machines much better. 

Define newer machines because the V only has 1 stick.

It does though have a better screen than the P and M but they've got the 2nd stick for PS1 goodness.

I imagine in 6 months there will be one that combines the two but there's always something new every 6 months.  Your bigger problem will be finding somewhere remotely legit that will entirely load it for you.  What came with my P wasn't legal but it was also badly sorted and chosen and was in no way a full set of anything.

I read that these things can manage some Dreamcast games, so nothing newer than that. Nothing I’d need two analogues for anyway (though Ape Escape would be nice). 

From what I can see, ordering from Anbernic directly seems to include a bunch of old rom sets on the bigger SD card, which I’m sure would keep be busy enough, even if it isn’t a full set. 

It plays some N64 and Dreamcast pretty well but certainly not all. The new Powkiddy RGB-10 Max has the same chipset but in a horizontal form and with dual stick if you prefer that.

Or Anbernic RG351P is mostly the same but with a lower resolution screen.

They all come with ROMs these days.

5 hours ago, Pungee said:

I read that these things can manage some Dreamcast games, so nothing newer than that. Nothing I’d need two analogues for anyway (though Ape Escape would be nice). 

From what I can see, ordering from Anbernic directly seems to include a bunch of old rom sets on the bigger SD card, which I’m sure would keep be busy enough, even if it isn’t a full set. 

It's a pretty horrible set to tell you the truth.  Worse several of the folders on mine were named by release number so actually finding something was a cow.

It'd get you started though.