Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

mgsp__fully_working_handheld_game_system

Look at this thing six face buttons, neogeo pocket clicky stick, and game gear motif

The dream handheld

(Made to order only and runs on pi) 

fucks sake :lol:

Come on Anbernic. Make this the next knock off

38 minutes ago, Dudley said:

It shouldn't but I would actually leave it on a charger for a day rather than keep moving it. 

The light I wouldn't worry too much, if it's completely drained it won't be able to power the light.  You're also making the asumption that the thing broken isn't "the light".

Thanks, its been on charge now for at least an hour. I assumed surely that would be enough to bring it back to life, even if the battery was fully drained? I just checked, I bought it in June, so would still be under warranty at least.

22 hours ago, MatOfTheDead said:

the dc games ive been playing have been mostly fine giant gram 2000 3 has an issue where you cant see the main menu though

Notice with 1.5 Arkos Giant Gram 2000 works smoothly and with any variations of 1.6 including the new DC methods it stutters on - for example, a third punch in a row or a move that involves hurting at a percentage.

Have you found that?

1 hour ago, Kramer said:

Notice with 1.5 Arkos Giant Gram 2000 works smoothly and with any variations of 1.6 including the new DC methods it stutters on - for example, a third punch in a row or a move that involves hurting at a percentage.

Have you found that?

im using 351ELEC atm not really noticed a stutter on 3rd punches

1 hour ago, MatOfTheDead said:

im using 351ELEC atm not really noticed a stutter on 3rd punches

I've just done my second reinstall of ArkOS and it's back to working smoothly. Strange.

1 hour ago, MatOfTheDead said:

does giant gram 2000 3 work properly for you can you see the main menu text etc

Nope. I'm so used to it, I forget about it. I don't find it an issue as all the other sub menus are fine - history mode etc. Only thing missing for me.

Favour if possible people.  I have have made an absolute bollocks of putting an ARK OS image on my machine, then I thought I would be clever and download an arcade punks image (128GB) , and that crashed to fuck as well. And obviously being an IT professional I didn't back anything up to revert to. 

Looks like the original image on droidX doesn't work either. 

If anyone has an image handy, would it be possible to reflash an SD card for me in return for few beers via paypal ? Obviously I would supply the SD card.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2021 at 07:55, mrben09 said:

Favour if possible people.  I have have made an absolute bollocks of putting an ARK OS image on my machine, then I thought I would be clever and download an arcade punks image (128GB) , and that crashed to fuck as well. And obviously being an IT professional I didn't back anything up to revert to. 

Looks like the original image on droidX doesn't work either. 

If anyone has an image handy, would it be possible to reflash an SD card for me in return for few beers via paypal ? Obviously I would supply the SD card.

looks like you ca. Download the original stick image here. 

https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/10/09/rg351p-firmware-guide/

Do any of these handheld devices do actual perfect Dreamcast emulation yet? I keep seeing people claiming the Retroid Pocket 2 does but I have one and it's unplayable in my opinion. Are these people just deluded or is there some amazing method that I am missing out on? 

5 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Some and some but the answer to your question is no.

Good. To be honest my RP2 is basically a Pac-Land/Rainbow Islands machine now. 

I did try flycast again just to check and Crazy Taxi runs at about 20fps with crackly sound. Some of these people must never have played it on real hardware. 

Just received a new RG351V, this woodgrain stuff is something else. Actually feels like wood! Yes I know its just a fancy printed texture but I had to give it a sniiff to make sure :lol: I loved the last GBA style Ambernic I had but the metal case was too heavy for its own good. I was playing RPGs for hours and it just became too heavy to hold so ended up getting rid. This new one is light with a really big screen so very easy to play. Haven't done much with it beyond a quick blast on R-Type but its packed to the rafters with games/systems. On charge at the mo so will give it a proper rundown tomorrow and see what it can do. There's a fair few PS1 games on it from the quick flick through the menu.

0.jpg

This is my first post so go easy on me! I’ve been a long time lurker so firstly, thank you for all of the interesting posts on retro gaming!

Can I ask what you might regard as a noob question - I’d like to buy a portable device to play SNES, mega drive and game boy advance games. Maybe PS One but am less fussed by that.

I keep reading conflicting things about which device would work best. I’d like to spend around £100. Would a modded Ps Vita best? Or one of those Chinese devices.

I don’t have a laptop so would be looking for one with a simple setup if that exists!

A Vita is best if you're prepared to put in a small amount of work. (And that would require a computer if not already jailbroke and loaded)

An RG351 will do all 3 of those, but you'd want to do an SD card with one of the better OS, you'd only need a computer once for this but you would need one (or someone to send you the SD).

RG351 without a doubt. I bought mine for £80 from Amazon.

It’s the best way to play GBA games full stop. The screen res is exactly double in each direction so games look gorgeous, and the RGA scaling works great for other consoles (including PS1). Installing 351ELEC takes care of the default scaling options for each platform, and once it’s on there’s very little faff required.

I don’t rate the Vita too much for emulation - it only has two shoulder buttons, no L3 or R3, and the screen is too wide for most retro games. It’s a great little console in its own right though.

@Ftsthe The RG351 is pretty good out of the box. The alternative firmwares/OSs are definitely better than the stock one but it's perfectly usable when you receive it. Obviously if you're not happy with the games that are on there you'll need some way of transferring new ones to the SD Card.

Edit: Oh and welcome to the forum!

The problem with the stock OS really is how stupidly they've chosen and named the games on there, I'd want to at least fix that.

And if you're plugging it into a computer to fix that, you might as well do it properly.

The OS is getting constantly updated but for the 3 systems mentioned you could absolutely get away with doing it once and forgetting it.

Paulando's point about L3 R3 is well made too, but of course again not an issue for SNES/MD/GBA and presumably Master System because I'm sure Ftsthe wouldn't leave out history's greatest machine.

Thank you for such a helpful response and the welcome!

on a related but separate subject, do we think we’ll ever good machines like this that can docN64 and Dreamcast?

5 hours ago, Ftsthe said:

Thank you for such a helpful response and the welcome!

on a related but separate subject, do we think we’ll ever good machines like this that can docN64 and Dreamcast?

If you have yourself a decent android phone I'd consider using that for emulation, get a decent pad (can highly recommend the Kishi) and a clip and you'll find an emulator for almost everything. I have a load of systems running on mine near flawlessly. Can actually run up to GC but haven't delved too much into it yet as I have that running insanely well on my PC. Mame is good, can run stuff like Rave Racer great and I'm even playing games from the Jaguar excellently too.

Quick and dirty video I made to show it running the formats you mentioned, plus Saturn for a known awkward format. DC is basically perfect with Redream, N64 almost as good with M64+, just the odd minor glitch in a few games and Saturn is working very smartly with Yaba Sanshiro 2. 

It's been awesome chilling in bed playing some pretty obscure Saturn stuff, although tbh the system I've been enjoying the most has probably been GBA. So many awesome games on that little machine. I used mine as basically a Wario Ware player back then, oh and for the Doom port. It had so much more going on though.

Very impressed with Android emulation.

Not sure if anyone has picked up an RG351V but there's a huge flaw with a number of the SD cards. They bought in a faulty batch and if you get any screen flicker when you turn it on its a sign the cards will fail.

20 hours ago, amc said:

If you have yourself a decent android phone I'd consider using that for emulation, get a decent pad (can highly recommend the Kishi) and a clip and you'll find an emulator for almost everything. I have a load of systems running on mine near flawlessly. Can actually run up to GC but haven't delved too much into it yet as I have that running insanely well on my PC. Mame is good, can run stuff like Rave Racer great and I'm even playing games from the Jaguar excellently too.

Quick and dirty video I made to show it running the formats you mentioned, plus Saturn for a known awkward format. DC is basically perfect with Redream, N64 almost as good with M64+, just the odd minor glitch in a few games and Saturn is working very smartly with Yaba Sanshiro 2. 

It's been awesome chilling in bed playing some pretty obscure Saturn stuff, although tbh the system I've been enjoying the most has probably been GBA. So many awesome games on that little machine. I used mine as basically a Wario Ware player back then, oh and for the Doom port. It had so much more going on though.

Very impressed with Android emulation.

thank you. That looks really cool! Sadly I have an phone but am thinking of switching when my contract runs out to something a bit slimmer/lighter so will consider this when I’m choosing

On 20/03/2021 at 12:17, Down by Law said:

mgsp__fully_working_handheld_game_system

Look at this thing six face buttons, neogeo pocket clicky stick, and game gear motif

The dream handheld

(Made to order only and runs on pi) 

fucks sake :lol:

Come on Anbernic. Make this the next knock off

Although I've always had gripes with software emulation you'd have to have something up with you to pass on one of those. It looks easily as good as a proper Sega piece of kit.

I love that button layout, too.

What resolution is the screen?

Found it. 4:3 3.2" TFT LCD // 320*240.