Modern Retro Handheld Game Players thread

On 03/03/2021 at 11:12, Dudley said:

- It does not, in any meaningful way "Play Dreamcast games". I never expected it to of course because reality but the adverts are misleading to the general public here.

- Same is true of PSP

- It DOES though have a not perfect but bloody impressive crack at N64

Don't really agree with this.

Dreamcast - a number of games work fine - Fire Pro D, Toukon Retsuden 4, Cosmic Smash, NFL Blitz, to name a few.

Some games, don't. Usually the Sega games/bigger games.

PSP - again, some games work fine. A number of games work at 100% FPS. Some work well with 1 frameskip. Many don't run well.

It depends what OS you use - for example Arkos has updated versions of DC/PSP emulators over 351Elec and the other options. Stock emulator choices can be poor when there is a variety.

7 hours ago, Wonderm said:

Don't suppose you've tried cosmic smash on dc, or psp everybody's golf have you? 

I’ve tried Hot Shots Golf and it actually runs 30fps without any frameskip, but has this odd problem when the shot bar is activated where the rest of the screen goes black. Feels like a few setting tweaks away from being perfect, but I haven’t found what it is yet.

14 hours ago, Kramer said:

Dreamcast - a number of games work fine - Fire Pro D, Toukon Retsuden 4, Cosmic Smash, NFL Blitz, to name a few.

PSP - again, some games work fine. A number of games work at 100% FPS. Some work well with 1 frameskip. Many don't run well.

It depends what OS you use - for example Arkos has updated versions of DC/PSP emulators over 351Elec and the other options. Stock emulator choices can be poor when there is a variety.

To be fair, I do have both a PSP and Vita so as soon as you need frameskip I'm out.  The problem with DC is you've just said "The games you want to play? No" :)

That a handheld can even attempt that emulation is still impressive.

On 06/03/2021 at 15:02, Wonderm said:

I have been wondering if this was too good to be true, there's just been something holding me back on this. 

Don't suppose you've tried cosmic smash on dc, or psp everybody's golf have you? 

Probably the only two I'd actually play anyway. 

Looks like we covered the golf but I can probably give Cosmic a punt if Kramer doesn't.

Yobo makes the very reasonable point though that the DC's screen res is simply higher than the RG351's.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Looks like we covered the golf but I can probably give Cosmic a punt if Kramer doesn't.

Yobo makes the very reasonable point though that the DC's screen res is simply higher than the RG351's.

Cosmic Smash works well. Rez worked well too, until I changed something. Dunno what.

DC games have to be set to 640 x 480 though. They look crazy bad at the default. There's a number of other settings that create considerable jumps in performance.

Ark OS Retroarch 32 Flycast/Flycast Extreme has the best default settings.

PSP games need to be changed to PPSSPP GO.

The other OS' have poor defaults that make games run terribly. DSP off is quite a jump.

Hot Shots Golf 2 on PS, is the best option. As said, the other golf games - Mario Golf 64 included, the screen goes black when taking a shot.

I know. I’m new to these machine, but there seems to be a new machine every week at the moment. Agree about the chip too, I need to be sensible and wait a while longer for a true upgrade.

On 06/03/2021 at 20:12, Kramer said:

have you tried the giant gram games?

2 hours ago, MatOfTheDead said:

have you tried the giant gram games?

Yep, not sure why I left it off my list - it's my fave DC wrestler!

Giant Gram 2000 works great on ArkOS default settings.

Bloody great game - the DC covered all bases of wrestling game styles with Fire Pro D, Giant Gram 2000 and Toukon Retsuden 4.

8 hours ago, Kramer said:

Yep, not sure why I left it off my list - it's my fave DC wrestler!

Giant Gram 2000 works great on ArkOS default settings.

Bloody great game - the DC covered all bases of wrestling game styles with Fire Pro D, Giant Gram 2000 and Toukon Retsuden 4.

just ordered a RG351P and 128GB micro sd off amazon can i get the sd all set up ready to go for when the handheld arrives

5 hours ago, MatOfTheDead said:

just ordered a RG351P and 128GB micro sd off amazon can i get the sd all set up ready to go for when the handheld arrives

I use ArkOS - which after flashing, will expand the drive when you place it in the RG351, then put back in PC to add roms.

I imagine you can, but not sure - you may be able to expand it manually with windrive.

Or find a 128gb image, remove roms you don't want etc.

2 minutes ago, Kramer said:

I use ArkOS - which after flashing, will expand the drive when you place it in the RG351, then put back in PC to add roms.

I imagine you can, but not sure - you may be able to expand it manually with windrive.

Or find a 128gb image, remove roms you don't want etc.

think ill see how i get on with the stock then look into arkOS in terms of dreamcast its the wrestling games i wanna play really

13 hours ago, MatOfTheDead said:

which one would you think is best to try mate

Watch this. I wish i had this video available when i bought mine

I took this screenshot from another retrogamecorps video a few weeks back, thought it was a good summary. 

Screenshot_2021-02-25-07-43-45-880_com.google.android.youtube.thumb.jpg.d0a5efb27c3c22fccc1f2ed7eda74910.jpg

Personally I use ArkOS, happy with it so far. Miles better than stock.

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

Some potentially decent improvements to DC on the RG351P

Although quite how much it's difficult to know without an FPS counter.

the dc games ive been playing have been mostly fine giant gram 2000 3 has an issue where you cant see the main menu though

My RG350M seems kaput. I've hardly used it since I got it last year, played some MAME a couple of days ago and after about 10 mins it just shut off. Thought it might have run out of charge but left it plugged overnight and nothing. Then all of a sudden it was back, played some Tetris on NES and after 5 mins it shut off again. Rinse and repeat and it won't turn on at all now. 

Anyone on here able to help? Gutted because it's a lovely machine, still mint and I'd really like to use it more. It's too good to just bin :(

Would someone try Rage Racer on RG351 please?

I just can't get it to work properly - as soon as you go through the the glass arch after the start, the frame rate and controls turn to treacle. I've tried various settings (but clearly not the right one!).

it's the one game out of thousands, I just can't get to run well on RG351. Maddening.

Works fine on RG350M though.

I have got an RG350M that has just been sat in a drawer for at least a year. Is this likely to completely kill the battery do you think? Ive got it plugged into a charger, and none of the lights are coming on. Ive tried a few different chargers, including plugging it into a mac, which is where it is now.

It shouldn't but I would actually leave it on a charger for a day rather than keep moving it. 

The light I wouldn't worry too much, if it's completely drained it won't be able to power the light.  You're also making the asumption that the thing broken isn't "the light".