Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

4 hours ago, squirtle said:

Thought this was excellent.

I'm hoping that...

image.png.1333de140750d8478a133b9bc55296e2.png

...will turn up as this seems similar to the best Van Damme film to me...

Loki's showrunner Michael Waldron previously worked on Rick & Morty - but unfortunately not on the episode that introduced Key and Peele's testicular Time Cops.

2 hours ago, GwiDan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I’m not going to think too hard about it, but how is some time travel ok, and some illegal? And how are you supposed to know?

The time keeper guys decide.

I assume whoever runs the TVA (the space lizards or whoever) has their own agenda so is willing to let some timetravel/variants go if it doesn't interfere with whatever they're actually up to. 

22 hours ago, Retroid said:

The first episode was better than half the MCU films, let's hope they can keep it up!

Can you really name eleven MCU films it is better than?

1 minute ago, drmick said:

Can you really name eleven MCU films it is better than?

Thor, Ironman 3, Ironman 2, Avengers 1, The Incredible Hulk, GotG2, Spiderman 2, Captain Marvel and I'd say there's a few where it's real close.

4 minutes ago, Retroid said:

Thor, Ironman 3, Ironman 2, Avengers 1, The Incredible Hulk, GotG2, Spiderman 2, Captain Marvel and I'd say there's a few where it's real close.

So Age of Ultron is better than Avengers Assemble? And Homecoming better than Far from Home? And The Dark World better than Thor?

19 minutes ago, Retroid said:

Mmm No.

But I'm certainly interested to see where this goes.

15 minutes ago, drmick said:

So Age of Ultron is better than Avengers Assemble? And Homecoming better than Far from Home? And The Dark World better than Thor?

I think I enjoyed Ultron more but tbf I may need to rewatch The Avengers - but it was definitely overated at the time.

As for the other 2.

image.png.c00e119e8de57968f84ea97514d61dcf.png

3 hours ago, drmick said:

Homecoming is certainly better than Far from Home.

6 hours ago, cavalcade said:

This was something of a dull, charmless Rick and Morty episode. I think Hiddlestone needs someone to riff off, and Owen Wilson is no bird person. 

It was an exposition dump, no more and no less. It's got potential, I think. The previews said the second episode was where it really started to shine.

1 hour ago, Garwoofoo said:

It was an exposition dump, no more and no less. It's got potential, I think. The previews said the second episode was where it really started to shine.

I've not written it off. I think Hiddlestone has the charm to carry a time romp and perhaps the fatigue from the opener came from it feeling like the start of a AA videogame rather than an entertainment series. I'll be interested to see what tone they settle on.

5 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

it feeling like the start of a AA videogame rather than an entertainment series. 

Frighteningly accurate. Even the colour palette was relentlessly brown.

5 hours ago, Benny said:

Have you considered maybe the colour palette was intentional to evoke soulless bureaucracy?

Have we considered it was intentionally underwhelming?

I hadn't. The sequence from the four-armed robot onwards either has to be consciously or unconsciously designed to be heavily reminiscent of videogame openings. I actually groaned out loud at the animated 50s style exposition dump (a trope so overdone since Fallout I remember switching off another game that tried to do it recently in disgust). The snaking queue system with a baton-armed guard was also a strongly 1997 PC game vibe (along with the protagonist literally consuming exposition at a computer terminal later on). I might accept that the entire section was deliberately and cleverly done if other aspects of the show so far suggested that, but I'm sceptical.

I suspect the success of the show will largely rest on Loki's character being given more interesting situations to bounce off. We shall see.   

20 hours ago, Retroid said:

The first episode of Loki was better than Avengers: Assemble?

Ok….

I didn't even realise this has started. 

Are all episodes available? Is it better than the abysmal Falcon and Winter Soldier?