IGNORED

Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

@Benny

r/theydidthemath :D

Spoiler

The estimate I had in mind was that you might struggle to print out every one of my SeanR's posts on this forum and fit them into a stack of paper that short. Even though ":seanr:" does not take up much paper.

Headcanon: the text looked like printed ink on paper, but it was actually some form of smart sci-fi ink that shrinks the text down to microfiche scale for storage, then flows across the paper to normal text size when someone looks at it.

Or the TVA used their time manipulation tech to simultaneously store multiple different bits of text on each sheet of paper. 🤓

Going back to the paper thing again, here's the DEFINITIVE ANSWER:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/loki-avengers-endgame-marvel-disney-1234965274/

Spoiler

Was there a lot of debate over how big to make the “everything you’ve ever said” stack of papers?

There actually was. (Laughs.) That stack of papers is everything Loki has ever said in the MCU, and then we added extra, obviously, because it’s Loki’s whole life. So, yes, there was a lot of thorough debate about the size of that paper. I think our props department was very thorough about it, and I’d say that they were mathematical in the sense that we wanted to present it in the most realistic way we could. But obviously, Loki has been around for a long time and he loves to talk. So it’s really just an estimation, but I’m sure there will be much-heated debate on Reddit about the size of that paper. (Laughs.)

There you have it.

20 minutes ago, JPL said:

How do you know what size font they were using on those printouts?

They showed you, when he said "What?" and got a new sheet to sign.

Anyway. I loved it. I liked WandaVision a lot, all the way through, even if I think the ending was too run of the mill. FATWS I bounced off of pretty hard. I didn't really like any of it! I hated the new suit at the end and I wanted more flirty Bucky. 

But this? Loved it from the off. Good to see Hiddleston playing in a new space with Loki and cutting back on the "someone says something so he pulls a smirk, pauses and says something witty" standard. A humbled Loki (for now) is more interesting to me.

4 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Going back to the paper thing again, here's the DEFINITIVE ANSWER:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/loki-avengers-endgame-marvel-disney-1234965274/

Hide contents

Was there a lot of debate over how big to make the “everything you’ve ever said” stack of papers?

There actually was. (Laughs.) That stack of papers is everything Loki has ever said in the MCU, and then we added extra, obviously, because it’s Loki’s whole life. So, yes, there was a lot of thorough debate about the size of that paper. I think our props department was very thorough about it, and I’d say that they were mathematical in the sense that we wanted to present it in the most realistic way we could. But obviously, Loki has been around for a long time and he loves to talk. So it’s really just an estimation, but I’m sure there will be much-heated debate on Reddit about the size of that paper. (Laughs.)

There you have it.

Low effort prop department clearly. Where is the SCIENCE

2 hours ago, Popo said:
  Hide contents

Well yes, but they made a conspicuous choice in not actually showing you the face of the variant (maybe that’s not a great word to use right now 😂). 

I could be wrong! Maybe it is him, but I don’t think so. It would be too boring for them to set up a mysterious, cloaked villain, tell the audience who it is in the first episode, only for there to be no twist along the way. 

I also think the twist of how the variant will be different is pretty obvious, but it is based on comic knowledge:

Spoiler

It’s going to be the female version of Loki.

1 hour ago, Stigweard said:

Cap kissing his niece is well creepy but mainly from her side. If there is only one timeline then the Cap of Civil War wouldn't have known he was Sharon's Uncle....she however surely would have known. I think we're just meant to forget that kiss ever happened at this point now.

Re him just letting bad stuff happen, this episode already established that if a varient fucks around with what was meant to happen then the TVA can reset it. So even if Steve tried to stop Hydra or 9/11 or any number of horrific event, the TVA could just stop him doing it.

It's very hand wavey but I guess at this point when they start introducing all these other dimensions/worlds/discussions of timelines etc after the fact you just have to hand wave away some stuff. 

Yeah that’s fair. Actually a really good way to explain it all away quickly would be to show Steve trying to change something and the TVA showing up and telling him he can’t, though you’d need Evans for that.

54 minutes ago, JPL said:

How do you know what size font they were using on those printouts?

And further to Glasgow Chivas’ reply, the pages also had date and time stamps! So half the estimated word count per page right away. 😂 

It might be one of those things I'm meant to not think about, but regarding timelines?

Spoiler

Are timelines and alternate realities different things? Otherwise, if the TVA are enforcing that there is only one timeline I'm confused by what's happened in Endgame or why the Ancient one bothers talking about "dooming her reality to save our own". If the TVA don't allow other realities, then there are none. 

11 minutes ago, Alask said:

It might be one of those things I'm meant to not think about, but regarding timelines?

Reveal hidden contents

Are timelines and alternate realities different things? Otherwise, if the TVA are enforcing that there is only one timeline I'm confused by what's happened in Endgame or why the Ancient one bothers talking about "dooming her reality to save our own". If the TVA don't allow other realities, then there are none. 

Spoiler

They specifically used 'reality' to refer what you'd usually think of as a 'timeline' in Endgame. I suppose this series was already in the pipeline and they wanted to establish "the timeline" as something more all-encompassing than what they're discussing here:

image.png.b4e136efd96d6cabed063ac2d7f493bd.png

OK I'm throwing one of those OTT theories into the mix.

Spoiler

The TVA said the other varient is another Loki but how and where does he comes from? What if its another person who can fuck around with reality and the nexus and wears horns and would look devil like to people in the 16th Century......

Spoiler

scarlet-witch-cosplay.thumb.png.ee30935f32f59fb000ca9f5dc357c421.png

But they are going to 

Spoiler

fuck things up  - at least partially - in their quest to find their "kids". I think they're going to knowingly blow open the multiverse so they can go get them. And part of dealing with that will be dealt with in Dr Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3. Whether or not Loki's interactions with the TVA enable that I do not know.

1 hour ago, Glasgowchivas said:

But they are going to 

Hide contents

fuck things up  - at least partially - in their quest to find their "kids". I think they're going to knowingly blow open the multiverse so they can go get them. And part of dealing with that will be dealt with in Dr Strange 2 and Spider-Man 3. Whether or not Loki's interactions with the TVA enable that I do not know.

They literally said 

Spoiler

multiverse and madness

in the same sentence in Loki yesterday.

5 hours ago, Popo said:

And further to Glasgow Chivas’ reply, the pages also had date and time stamps! So half the estimated word count per page right away. 😂 

Did they? Show me.

5 hours ago, Glasgowchivas said:

They showed you, when he said "What?" and got a new sheet to sign.

Anyway. I loved it. I liked WandaVision a lot, all the way through, even if I think the ending was too run of the mill. FATWS I bounced off of pretty hard. I didn't really like any of it! I hated the new suit at the end and I wanted more flirty Bucky. 

But this? Loved it from the off. Good to see Hiddleston playing in a new space with Loki and cutting back on the "someone says something so he pulls a smirk, pauses and says something witty" standard. A humbled Loki (for now) is more interesting to me.

You could say he’s playing it more “low key” 😛

Is the casting known in this thread? Is casting considered spoiler?

Here is a casting spoiler. Don't look if casting is considered spoilers.

Spoiler

Richard E Grant is a bit how I imagine Hiddleston looking in his old age. 

Could Grant be the horny one?

4 hours ago, squirtle said:

Thought this was excellent.

I'm hoping that...

image.png.1333de140750d8478a133b9bc55296e2.png

...will turn up as this seems similar to the best Van Damme film to me...

Loki's showrunner Michael Waldron previously worked on Rick & Morty - but unfortunately not on the episode that introduced Key and Peele's testicular Time Cops.