Marvel's Loki - 9 June

JohnC

5 hours ago, Scruff said:

Ummm, no. He was quite clearly a specific version of a specific character that explains for the non-comic people what he does but for the people who know it's a very big deal.

Who you see in Ant Man 4 isn't going to be the same person you saw in Loki ep6.

He seemed to be a mix of 

Spoiler

Reed Richards, Moira and a one man Illuminati. 

1 hour ago, Delargey said:

Things I didn't understand...Sylvie 

Hide contents

Sylvie said she was pruned long before Loki even existed - if they are variants of the same being that just branch from one time line wouldn't they come from the same time?

When did Sylvie get magic fire powers - I thought that she could only enchant?

Loki couldn't enchant either, remember. Then he could.

5 hours ago, Scruff said:

Ummm, no. He was quite clearly a specific version of a specific character that explains for the non-comic people what he does but for the people who know it's a very big deal.

Who you see in Ant Man 4 isn't going to be the same person you saw in Loki ep6.

We're not even at Ant-Man 3 yet!

8 minutes ago, deKay said:

We're not even at Ant-Man 3 yet!

Hah, good spot! :D

For some reason I thought Quantumania was number 4.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.ee130b654db183b5b012a879017ee060.png

You can clearly see he's Immortus and not Kang. I'm not sure why people keep on saying he's Kang.

19 minutes ago, deKay said:

Hide contents

Apart from convincing everyone at the TVA that they were variants.

Spoiler

Didn't that get reset at the very end anyway - so it's just renslayer who still knows the truth?

3 minutes ago, Scruff said:

You can clearly see he's Immortus and not Kang. I'm not sure why people keep on saying he's Kang.

Spoiler

Because Kang became Immortus?

9 minutes ago, Delargey said:

Hide contents

Didn't that get reset at the very end anyway - so it's just renslayer who still knows the truth?

We don’t know that.

21 minutes ago, deKay said:

We don’t know that.

Spoiler

Don't we? I thought the implication was there- Morbius had no memory of Loki, and was still organising the TVA - when in the previous scene with him he was all about letting free will and the branching reign.

It was late and I was fairly drunk when I watched it so I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

Hide contents

image.thumb.png.ee130b654db183b5b012a879017ee060.png

What he described seemed to be

Spoiler

The Council of Reeds, the Illuminatis plan to destroy parralell Worlds, but wrapped up in the arc of a super-baddie like Immortus.

If Infinty War showed us anything it’s that the MCU version of events in the comics is no more than a loosely based echo.

2 hours ago, Delargey said:

Hide contents

Don't we? I thought the implication was there- Morbius had no memory of Loki, and was still organising the TVA - when in the previous scene with him he was all about letting free will and the branching reign.

It was late and I was fairly drunk when I watched it so I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

Spoiler

I assumed that what was previously the main branch was still the same, so the Owen Wilson there would still remember the events of the series but Loki got sent to another branch where there’s an alternative Owen Wilson who doesn’t know him.

21 minutes ago, Broker said:
  Hide contents

I assumed that what was previously the main branch was still the same, so the Owen Wilson there would still remember the events of the series but Loki got sent to another branch where there’s an alternative Owen Wilson who doesn’t know him.

Spoiler

There's only one TVA though.

12 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Hide contents

There's only one TVA though.

Spoiler

I assumed that was the whole point of the reveal, that there’s not anymore. Before there was one timeline and hence one TVA maintaining it. Not there’s alternate versions of the TVA to go along with the multiple timelines.

So was that 

Spoiler

Kang? He sure says “conqueror” a lot for someone that isn’t Kang the conqueror ?

Or just a variant, so yeah but no?

8 minutes ago, And said:

So was that 

Hide contents

Kang? He sure says “conqueror” a lot for someone that isn’t Kang the conqueror ?

Or just a variant, so yeah but no?

Isn't everyone?

I didn't think this was complicated.

Spoiler

This dude says, I keep things under control and, if you kill me, an awful version of me will wage war on this multiverse.

Is that not it?

Yeah that's how I interpreted it, having never read the comics.

Spoiler

He's not the villain, but that actor will be playing his variant(s) who will be the main villain(s) in the next set of films.

He specifically says "You think I'm bad, wait til you meet my variants" doesn't he?

Spoiler

Yes, there’s more than one of everything.

I don’t follow comics and you know I don’t think highly of trying to use the comic lore to predict the MCU plot lines, but it seems an especially futile task given what the last episode told us about causality itself in this franchise.

Spoiler

He explained that he and his myriad variants were fighting each other in a multiversal war until he discovered the smoke monster (Aloth? I forget the name), used it to get the upper hand and prune all other realities out of existence, leaving only his reality; he then built the TVA to maintain that supremacy by pruning any variation at the source, so he clearly was and is a bad bastard, just one who’s been on the merry go round for too long, wanted off and tried to use Loki for that purpose. 

Two things I don’t understand:

Spoiler

Once it was revealed to the TVA agents that they were all variants and their existence was a lie, they stopped doing their job and branches in the timeline started appearing rapidly - at this point, T1WR stopped being able to predict (control?) the future and so crossed a threshold beyond which he no longer knew what was going to happen. So how the hell does giving the Lokis the keys to the kingdom get things back on track? The TVA have downed tools, Loki can’t control Aloth and new version of the TVA have come into existence. It’s too late. So how was that ever an option?

And secondly:

Spoiler

How did Sylvie manage to send Loki into an alternate reality TVA? We know the pads can only send you somewhere if you have the coordinates programmed in, she could only have sent him back to the same TVA from whence he came. 

I enjoyed the finale, and that’s proven by how much fun chat I’ve had thinking about it. There’s a lot of cool stuff going on, and it’s clear, even if (like me) you didn’t know who that person was while watching - they were clearly going to figure more widely in the upcoming MCU, just like the end of Wandavision, and that’s fun and exciting. Very good stuff. 

Spoiler

I wonder if they genuinely forgot the characters didn’t have a tempad any more until they were nearly done, and filmed that insert to try to cover for it.

Nah

Spoiler

King Kang was using it all over the show to stop being offed. It was clearly planned from the off to be the way Loki is moved out. 

I read the last scene as alternate TVAs rather than some Back to the Future rewrite, mainly as the emphasis was on not taking over starts the multiverse again ultimately leading to another Kang Bang. 

11 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Some thoughts / questions...

Reveal hidden contents

• Did Sylvie push Loki back into a branching timeline before she killed He Who Remains (HWR)? The master timeline was shown to be branching as soon as the threshold was passed so I'm assuming this must be the case, but it's still a bit unclear.
  • If Loki had been pushed through the portal after HWR was killed then I would understand how he would keep his knowledge of events and see that Moebius and the rest had lost theirs, but as he was pushed through it first, why wasn't he similarly affected (unless he was pushed into an already emerging branch)?
  • What was the threshold?
  • Were the post-threshold and pre-HWR death branches caused by HWR variants (Kang etc.) emerging or something else?
  • After HWR's death the master timeline went apeshit, which I presume is the result of an infinate number of HWR variants appearing and changing things.
  • Did Sylvie's portal-timeline-reset- bomb things from earlier in the series do anything?

However, after seeing some of the comments I re-watched it (after a bit of research) and got a lot more out of it now I understand more of what was taking place. I'm not sure that others in my situation would do the same and I can see how it might be seen as a bit of a flat ending without knowing other stuff, but I'm now really interested in seeing where things will go next.

Yup, I did this today and to some extent agree with what you have said.  It's definitely better having a bit more knowledge of the situation.

11 hours ago, Popo said:

Oh yes, that’s right - although that leaves me with even more questions, like - how does she even know how that thing works? :lol: 

I don't she does fully,

Spoiler

hense sending him to a different TVA. Remember she send him through that before killing He Who Remains, so he didn't need up there as a result of the killing, he was already there.