It Takes Two

On 25/03/2021 at 02:26, Made of Ghosts said:

From the link above:

Hide contents

At one point, Cody and May decide that the only way to reverse the spell that’s been cast upon them is to get their daughter to cry on them. (To be fair, this is almost entirely Cody’s idea.) To pull this off, the couple conclude that they need to kill their daughter’s favorite toy, a stuffed elephant named Cutie.

Like the dolls that Cody and May now inhabit, Cutie has been brought to life by the spell, and upon learning of the assassination plot, the elephant begs for her life. “Where are you taking me? Please stop!” she screams, as the couple drags her to an untimely death at a nearby cliff. While being dragged, one of Cutie’s ears gets caught on a nearby seam ripper, and it’s torn off with a tug from Cody and May. “You don’t have to do this! I love Rose!” Cutie cries, just before she’s kicked to her death.

er what the fuck

This is actually quite a way into the game. We just it last night and will be interested what others think. That quote made it sound way more bleak than it was, and it lasted all of 30 seconds. I actually found it a little funny in its absurdity.

Yeah the usual overreaction to what is essentially a small piece of the game and kinda shows the parents as so concerned with their own problem that they don’t think about how it’s going to upset their daughter.  

Spoiler

oh and the “cliff” is a bookcase in the kids room and the end result is a torn toy that yes does upset the daughter but no doubt in real life could be sewn back together.  Despite not finishing the game I assume this will happen at the end. 

Played this with a friend for two nights and it's crazy how much variety Hazelight has packed into this and what's even better is that all of it plays well. Whether it's platforming, shooting, flying, grinding rails or something else; it all controls really well. Just lots of clever design, the whole 

Spoiler

space section with the shrinking and growing mechanic and the gravity boots is awesome. Loved the pinball section too.

Minigames are fun too, at least most of them, the bosses are mostly excellent and it looks and runs superb on my PS5.

I don't really care about the story much, but the co-op gameplay is wonderful.

On 27/03/2021 at 13:41, Nosejam said:

Having an absolutely wonderful time playing this with my son. Some really great mechanics and looks stunning. Most importantly it’s so much fun!  

You guys were right, I don’t think a non gamer would do well, lots of accuracy and button knowledge needed. 

How good is the boss at the end of level 2?! We were both punching the air after, incredible.

@elmo Would love to see some of TCGS stream this, make it happen!

Working on it!

The other brilliant thing about this game, that I don't see being brought up much, are the moments where you genuinely try to help your partner but it ends up killing them in a funny way. Been quite a few of those, proper LOL moments.

4 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

You can't use Xbox One pads on the Series X, can you? I wouldn't mind playing this in local co-op with my wife but I've only got one Series controller.

You can. Me and my other half are playing it this way. 

The game’s big strength is how well it manages to do every gaming genre it mimics - yes there’s nothing original but the way it puts it all together and makes every new thing seem fun is brilliant. It’s certainly going to be one to beat this year for sure. 

It's really, really good. Me and a mate played for an hour and a half or so last night and it flew by. Some properly hilarious moments emerged from trying to coordinate with each other. We loved A Way Out too though, so maybe we're just easy to please!

I get some of the concerns about the subject matter but so far it's been handled reasonably alright.

I hope this studio just keeps making co-op games like this, in the same way that Remedy have essentially just been making better and better iterations of the same game.

The 

Spoiler

castle

section is just incredible, you need to do one small puzzle to progress but the area is absolutely filled with detail and neat little interactions, I spent a good while there with my co-op partner just messing about.

The end of that section though, fucking hell :lol:

One of the best co-op (and just gaming) experiences I've had in a good while and a definite early GOTY contender.

2 hours ago, Eighthours said:

it's an early GOTY contender.

2 hours ago, PK said:

It's really, really good.

1 hour ago, Takizawa said:

One of the best co-op (and just gaming) experiences I've had in a good while and a definite early GOTY contender.

It will partially depend on who you play it with but I don't think it's over the top to say this. Certainly the best original game I've played this year. There's Nintendo levels of introducing a great mechanic to just throw it out a few minutes later. It's also pretty substantial, way longer than I expected it to be - and I feel like I should have paid more than £15 for this. You can tell so much thought and care went into making it. Only thing I'd criticise, and this will make me sound prudish, is the swearing such as 'relationshit' which for a game that's otherwise universal just seemed trying too hard.

26 minutes ago, pledge said:

Only thing I'd criticise, and this will make me sound prudish, is the swearing such as 'relationshit' which for a game that's otherwise universal just seemed trying too hard.

Agree with you on that, the only bad aspects of the game so far are when they momentarily stray outside the kids' animated movie tone.

It's a tricky thing to write an engaging children's story with laughs for the adults, and they slip up every now again. It's not too frequent nor too egregious though (so far, at least!)

33 minutes ago, pledge said:

It's also pretty substantial, way longer than I expected it to be - and I feel like I should have paid more than £15 for this.

Yes for sure, I paid £22 for the Origin version and I can play with as many people as I like without them needing to spend a penny. Incredible value, really.

Now I just need some of those friend things.

Up to chapter 5 at n this now and it just gets better. It’s also a lot longer than I was expecting and so many of the areas now have little incidental things to play with and explore. 
 Honestly this deserves to be the hottest game on the forum just now, if you have someone to co-op with in person or online you really need to pick this one up. 

I played a couple of hours of this with a friend last night, and it oozes quality. They've absolutely ironed out every frustration point, without making themselves into a Lego game that you just stroll through.

So far, it's a great Toy Story game, a great Star Wars game and a great Indiana Jones game. Can't wait to see what kind of great game it is next.

We do skip most cut scenes, admittedly. It's a beautiful game that deserved less clunky writing.

I'm really deep into this now and nearing the end, regarding the length I'm about

Spoiler

15 hours into it. There was a bit around the 6 hour mark (castle) that I genuinely thought was wrapping up the game. I can't believe how much content is in this 'budget' game.

and yes I am still weirded out by how this is STILL constantly surprising us section after section. I can't wait to find out more about the development of this game afterwards, as well as watching streams of it.

This is brilliant. My wife has played about three games in her life (Overcooked, Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley). I convinced her to give this a try and we’ve just finished a mammoth session of nearly three hours. We had a great time and haven’t laughed that much in ages.

Nintendo-tier polish and inventiveness, great controls, sharply smart puzzles and absolutely splendid visuals make for a really potent formula. Over and over again it gives you some toys to play with, extracts maximum value from them and then moves onto the next thing before the mechanic becomes stale. So far at least I’ve been left wanting more of each section when it ends while delighted at the next mad set of tools and ideas it introduces.

The complete commitment to co-op is the key to success though. Virtually everything has been designed to require two players to navigate and most sequences are asymmetrical enough that a second playthrough as the other character would be a different enough to be worth playing. 

I like the characters and the voice acting, the bickering between the two puts them on fairly level pegging with no clear right or wrong, but I’m not really rooting for them to get back together. More than anything else they’re vehicles for arguments you’ve probably had a million times with your partner, maybe only in jest. I really like how the game recognises the importance of everyday objects becoming totemic sticking points in a relationship where the power of the unwashed plate or the neglected lawn can hold a weird mythical power over you both. For all the on-the-nose unsubtle storytelling there are a few quieter moments often relating to objects in the scenery which show rather than tell, if you look for them.

All in all, excellent first impressions. Josef Fares tricked my wife into enjoying a third person shooter, and if he can do that he can probably do anything. 

There have been a few moments where I’ve messed up and my wife has saved my bacon, and she’s started to poke and prod at the world and have some fun hitting buttons to see what happens. It’s really breaking down some barriers in that respect. She’s struggling a bit with third person controls but if ever there was a game to start with this is probably it. 

Worth saying it’s not easy either, we’ve died a couple of times but found the difficulty about right. An early boss was quite frustrating for her (the first time you can really “lose”) but she put her concentrating hat on and got through it and I could tell she was pretty proud of herself which was great to watch. 

When Brad Shoemaker on the Bombcast said that the game was ‘kind of’ inventive in places, I wanted to throw my phone out of the window. Dunno what he was playing, but it certainly wasn’t this.

Finished this last night, have not enjoyed a 2 player local co-op experience in so long. Luigi's Mansion 3 came the closest in what feels like 10+ years at least? Even with Luigi's Mansion there are stretches were you don't really need to communicate but ItTakesTwo constantly encourages conversation, at least it did with us. Not just with puzzles but with discoveries as well as general support for getting across tricky platform sections.

I had this gut feeling that Fares was heavily involved with Hakim and have since discovered that although not his voice he did the motion capture for the book as well as the writing, I can totally imagine him coaching the voice actor like he was Hakim himself. "Come on man! Reach deep into your soul, yeeeeah!!"

I initially didn't think this game would be a strong stream because of the cinematics but I'm really eager to start watching other people play this now, even though the game was way longer than it needed to be,  I miss it already. 

It's not a perfect game by any means but it's 100% the first GOTY contender for me, there are some dips which I'll mention below. Heavy spoilers below!

Spoiler

So my favorite moment of the entire game was the death of the elephant, I loved that it was tied to this mad idea of making your child cry. The darkness in the humor for that moment was pitch perfect for us. I think that scene will be marmite (just one reason I really want to watch streams) but we really didn't care for the story and just enjoyed the absurdity of it. 

That's where I thought it was wrapping up the game, little did I know there would be more including four HUGE 2ish hour levels! So the first of those areas (time) was incredible but the others (for us) never quite matched what was before. They were still fun and constantly throwing out new ideas and they all had amazing MOMENTS but those last three areas didn't feel as 'tight' as what came before.

As mentioned, the game was longer than it had any right to be BUT I felt that the music level being the closing level was short sighted. We felt like it needed one more level that focused on the daughter, I would have gone with finding the letter from the daughter and then going after her to the bus stop as dolls still. So flying across streets, avoiding cars and street hazards etc. Then turning into humans right at the end. This OR even have you turn back as humans in the house but you actually control the human forms for the last level as you go after your daughter

SOMETHING like that, a level that really turns the volume up to 11 and feels epic and a major part of the story. The music level didn't feel like the right one to end it on. 

Something has totally gone wrong with this game right? It's easily GOTY so far yet nobody is talking about it? I've seen no marketing, no twitter buzz and there are some major reviewers who are yet to review it (Easy Allies etc). It's really bizarre.

I can’t say this enough - if you have a gaming buddy and you enjoy a game that encourages cooperation and also happens to be fun and inventive then treat yourself to a copy of this. 
 I know lots of Xbox owners will be looking at it being on gamepass in 6-12 months but honestly it’s the most fun I’ve had in a game in ages and is well worth the cash outlay. 

Itching to play it but don't have anyone to play with. It's a real shame they don't have matchmaking for this and their previous game. 

Add me to the list of probably most fun I had in a game for a while, had so much fun playing this with my niece and sister. Proper great variety of puzzles and action, and yeah proper funny moments.

Finished this yesterday with my son. He’s already asking to play through again as the other character! 

We were both totally blown away by this unexpected beauty of a game. 

Loving the TCGS stream too, although don’t watch if you intend to play it yourself!