IGNORED

PSVR2 - out now!

Pob

5 minutes ago, El Geet said:

I am a total wuss for horror games. It’s actually quite annoying as I’d love to experience the production quality on RE Village but I noped out of the demo in the first bloody room of the tutorial! Looked at the big rusty door and just thought, “Fuck that.”

Totally silly question but anyone found a way to overcome the fear?! Or “how to get one’s non-wuss legs?”

I seem to have overcome this last year in my mid thirties. I had RE7 as a pack in with PSVR1 knowing there was no chance in hell I’d actually play it, but figured there’d be good value in using it to show off the new toy. And there was.

I started watching blind playthroughs of the first hour or two on YouTube, which were entertaining in their own right seeing people crap their pants each time, all the while becoming more and more accustomed to each beat as it happens to the point where you start to see the strings. Then started watching people on a second or third playthrough make it all look so easy before watching a speed run to make it all look so broken.

I beat Alien Isolation last month and it was a tedious slog to the end, I was Neo seeing the code and being bored by the lack of threat.

I haven’t conditioned myself to RE8, but I think I might be at the point of having fun with scares rather than being unable to face them. I’ve only ran through the tutorial so far and certainly wasn’t bothered by the atmosphere of the environment. Though I was half braced for a classic door gag at some point. I’ll see!

5 minutes ago, makkuwata said:

I beat Alien Isolation last month and it was a tedious slog to the end, I was Neo seeing the code and being bored by the lack of threat.

Get out. ;)

2 hours ago, Len said:

Get out. ;)

If you spend 20 minutes playing a clinically depressed Jane Goodall with the Alien you’ve seen all its tricks. Then the only real threat are the [late game] face huggers which have proximity triggers to prepare for when you’re thrown back 20 seconds to the checkpoint.

And then there’s a lot of slow scrambling about and standing still to the end. A lot a lot.

I’m an absolute scaredy cat with horror games, I got through the flat version of RE8 when it came out and didn’t think it was too bad except for one particularly scary sequence involving

Spoiler

Dolls

I started in VR this morning on casual mode and turned on easy reloads as couldn’t get on with the different loading techniques for each weapon in the tutorial. Played up to the first save location. It looks incredible, as with all these VR games the sense of scale is so impressive.  Looking forward to getting stuck in properly later, though not sure how I’m going to manage the section I spoilered..

1 minute ago, superfunk said:

So Resi 8 isn’t playable with the Sense controllers? Is that right? I keep getting a message to use a DualSense. 

The VR controllers? It’s only playable with those. No pad option in VR I don’t think (well, the demo anyway)

8 minutes ago, El Geet said:

Never played Pistol Whip before. Fuck me that was fun!

Edit: felt quite a bit of auto aim involved. Is that just on easy mode?

There is subtle auto aim, which is an essential part of the game and its scoring system. There is an option to turn it off, but it makes the game a billion times harder and not as satisfying.

I can't imagine buying the headset and not playing Village on it - that's the whole reason I pre-ordered the thing. After VII, I couldn't go back to the flat screen versions of them as you now what you're missing out on. Seriously, it's so well done in VR - get yourselves in.

15 minutes ago, Eighthours said:

There is subtle auto aim, which is an essential part of the game and its scoring system. There is an option to turn it off, but it makes the game a billion times harder and not as satisfying.

Yep see what you mean. Someone earlier said it’s more on rails shooter than rhythm action. Not sure that’s right. 

Got the wheel out and spend some time properly immersed in gt7. It’s magnificent. Did a 24hour lemans condensed into 30 mins with sun, rain , night .. in a Toyota gr1 cockpit. Just incredible. Then did some sport races. It’s just so good 

Right, I've had a good go at GT7 in VR with my wheel, and well...

Visually it's just not as good as I was expecting. There is some texture pop-in on the cars, and it's clearly rendering at a significantly lower resolution to allow a perfectly stable framerate, so the image is quite soft, especially in the mid-far distance which is where you're often looking. This is highlighted quite clearly when you watch a replay of your race in cinematic mode and everything is super crisp and crystal clear. The headset can clearly display at high resolutions, but it appears the PS5 is the bottleneck here. edit - I reckon I've been spoiled by PCVR racers here.

When I was driving on an oval track with a heavily banked corner, I noticed my view wasn't tilting with the car, my view was always level. I looked for an option to turn that off - there fucking isn't one! 😕 Take a look at this from sixthaxis:

If there’s one fundamental weakness here, it’s in the frankly baffling lack of options for VR users. You can’t adjust your seat position, you can’t adjust your height offset, you can’t adjust your viewing angle, you can’t choose whether your viewpoint is kept level to the circuit or the car, you can’t adjust vignettes which can aide those who are prone to motion sickness. It’s bizarre when VR game developers have spent such a long time putting in deep levels of customisation for people to find the settings that are just right for them. Worse, I had the exact same complaints about GT Sport’s lack of options!

Given they never patched GT Sport, I doubt they'll patch this. So it's either put up or shut up. I have to be honest, at this point I felt 'I've wasted my money, this is a fucking deal breaker'. But I figured I'd persevere, and so I revisited the Music Rally mode which has more diverse tracks readily available (I've just started the main game and so have unlocked fuck all). The issue with the constantly level view is only really noticeable on heavily banked corners; for mostly level tracks, even ones with a lot of undulation, it's not as noticeable, and mostly acceptable. However I wasn't really convinced until I did the Music Rally at Laguna Seca. Now, LS is a track I'm not only familiar with in racing games, I'm incredibly familiar with it in VR, so this was the perfect test, and I loved it! Got my first Gold in the Music Rallies too. :)

You can't do this:
head-out-the-window-fresh-air.gif ace-ventura-jim-carey.gif joker-police-car.gif
One of the fun things to do in VR racing games is to poke you're head out the window, and have a good look around.  You can't even lean over to get a good look at the passenger side of the car, which I noticed  in the really old Mercedes, where one of the counters is waaaay over the by passenger side, so I leant over to have a look and ... you just get black with a green wireframe box of where the car is until you move back into the correct position. 😐

However, it's not all bad. The lighting in VR is the best I have ever seen, the use of HDR is really well done. For anyone else who suffers from SAD (don't we all to certain degree?), this game elicits the same response when the sun comes out, or the clouds block the sun. It's amazing. The lighting model really is fucking first class here. While I wonder how the game would look with a simpler lighting model and higher render resolution, there's no denying the feeling you are driving outdoors on a track in this game, and that's really fucking special.

Again, I had to stop after an hour or so because of eye strain, I hope that calms down soon. But if there is racing on Monday evening I hope to join. :)

It's a bummer reading that the res isn't that high on GT, but I suppose the hardware is good enough that it could scale up even better on a 5 Pro or PS6, if Sony goes that way with it

Or, even better, Sony just port over GT7 to the fecking PC

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It looks amazing to me. 

I've been spoiled by PCVR racers, so there's little to no leap* over what I've played two or more years ago. Saying that, maybe I should dig out the Rift S and have another go just to compare.

*Other than the lighting, which is fantastic.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Has anyone played Zombie Land? 

Is that the scrolling beat 'em up?

If so, yeah, I bought it on sale a while back, but bounced off it - played it once and never went back.

3 hours ago, El Geet said:

I am a total wuss for horror games. It’s actually quite annoying as I’d love to experience the production quality on RE Village but I noped out of the demo in the first bloody room of the tutorial! Looked at the big rusty door and just thought, “Fuck that.”

Totally silly question but anyone found a way to overcome the fear?! Or “how to get one’s non-wuss legs?”

Horror in Vr games is unmatched.  All I could say is play in small bursts?  Says the person who is yet to try the Alien Isolation mod in VR 

11 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Is that the scrolling beat 'em up?

If so, yeah, I bought it on sale a while back, but bounced off it - played it once and never went back.

It’s kind of like a score attack FPS zombie game, I like the look of it l but it does seem quite one note. 

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s kind of like a score attack FPS zombie game, I like the look of it l but it does seem quite one note. 

Ah, I was completely off.

This is what I was thinking of:

My disappointment with GT is the main reason mine's on it's way back to Sony.

I dare say you get used to it but I wanted better for my money in the game I would have played the most.

3 hours ago, makkuwata said:

If you spend 20 minutes playing a clinically depressed Jane Goodall with the Alien you’ve seen all its tricks. Then the only real threat are the [late game] face huggers which have proximity triggers to prepare for when you’re thrown back 20 seconds to the checkpoint.

And then there’s a lot of slow scrambling about and standing still to the end. A lot a lot.

I'll get your coat. ;)

I bloody loved it, atmosphere in spades, those creepy joes and just brilliant but each to their own.