Outriders - Square Enix co-op shooter

I keep smashing into walls and dropping the World Tier down. The difficulty is entirely predicated on how many bullets something can absorb and I think that's going to get really tedious pretty soon. Also Snipers are a one trick pony that are constantly annoying. It always plays out the same: go into arena, start mopping up, big dudes spawn, sniper knocks you out of cover, deal with big dude, move forward, get key, next arena. 

I'm enjoying it currently and am about 15 hours deep but I really think I'll be done fairly soon.

The more I play this, the more I genuinely think it's sensational at what it sets out to do. The basics are there from the minute you get past the admittedly overlong opening, but every hour spent and every new skill unlocked just builds this incredibly compelling and addictive experience. It's a banger.

That's sort of any game of this type though @moosegrinder surely? The snipers are a massive pain (not helped by really bad aiming on controller - seems to take ages to get to a target only to speed up while you're trying to aim a headshot) but as a Trickster I can just port to them and shotgun in the back of the head.

I think it's like the devs have said in that they see the game as more of a Diablo clone than a GoW/Destiny shooter.

I really hope they make some DLC.

11 minutes ago, Scruff said:

That's sort of any game of this type though @moosegrinder surely? The snipers are a massive pain (not helped by really bad aiming on controller - seems to take ages to get to a target only to speed up while you're trying to aim a headshot) but as a Trickster I can just port to them and shotgun in the back of the head.

I think it's like the devs have said in that they see the game as more of a Diablo clone than a GoW/Destiny shooter.

I really hope they make some DLC.

Diablo comparison makes more sense than Destiny but Diablo has variety in the bounties and enemies and the open nature of the environmenta. The core gameplay loop is what saves both games, but the arena nature of the conflict in this is very, very repetitive.

7 minutes ago, max renn said:

I don’t know whether I should say this... but there’s combat moments (only a few so far) that feel like a Platinum game. 

Don’t judge me!

YES! I thought I was losing my mind playing this last night, but the weirdly tuned but seemingly deliberate aim acceleration and the loose running kept reminding me of Vanquish.

Diablo doesn't have any variety whatsoever!  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely adore it and still go back most seasons. I can totally see them implementing a similar seasonal thing in this.

It's extremely good, technical issues aside.  Super arcadey shooting, loot, crafting, upgrading, dismantling, modding - it's 100% Diablo in a third person shooter skin.  I can see that if you expected a more  traditional shooter like the Division or Gears, or something with weightier gunplay like Desto you might be a bit disappointed, but for the type of game this is I think they've done a bang up job.

Edit - I mean, even the hitting a brick wall and dropping the difficulty is pure Torment tinkering D3.  You ramp it up to that point where it gets too much, drop it back, farm a little, upgrade your gear a little then try again.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Online is absymal. Iv just been kicked three games in a row. Iv failed to join a party at least ten times. 

Yeah online matchmaking is completely dysfunctional and broken. I thought that it was supposed to match you with someone at the same story point as you but I’ve been dumped in with people near the start of the game when I’m near the end. It’s hideously laggy to the point of being unplayable too.

I’m not too bothered right now as I’ve played 99% solo and been absolutely loving it but the expeditions seem completely geared towards co-op so I hope they fix that aspect soon or else the endgame will be essentially inaccessible for most people.

Shame that in all the core aspects of the gameplay and loot they’ve totally nailed it but it’s been somewhat undermined by the terrible online implementation and server issues.

Yeah solo is fun. But the endgame is literally undoable solo. The bosses are way too hard. But if it join another game it just cannot keep up. Special powers either don't work or don't hit things, ammo doesn't reload, your health instantly dissapears, it's a real mess.

There's no point in trying to kill the bosses on your highest unlocked world tier in my opinion. I always gave it a shot at first but ended up dialing it back a few notches to get through them. Just finished the story, at level 30 and world tier 13.  Love it.:wub:

7 minutes ago, Mr.Crowley said:

There's no point in trying to kill the bosses on your highest unlocked world tier in my opinion. I always gave it a shot at first but ended up dialing it back a few notches to get through them. Just finished the story, at level 30 and world tier 13.  Love it.:wub:

Did you do anything specific to get to World Tier 13? That's well above what me and my OH have managed. Also what class are you?

Also is 30 max?

To increase world tier you have to keep killing without dying. Every time you die it takes a chunk of your progress away from the next tier.

Anything above 7 is just bullet sponge territory. We did an exhibition last night which had seven last bosses all of which could heal themselves at an insane rate. It was literally impossible. I feel this is done to enhance the endgame so people can complain its like Avengers. But there is a fine line between a fun challenge and making things impossible for the sake of it. For example ninja gaiden is hard as fuck, but possible by mastering skills. This just seems impossible, although it's not clear if that is because of the lag making things much harder.

One thing that is cool is on coop when your skills combine. Eg one of you has slow down bullets, one freezes and one lightning's.

I finished the story solo at WT 8 on my Trickster. Got a gold medal in the one expedition I tried (was tier 2). I also have a Devastator at 16 I'm co-op-ing wiht @mikeyl and I think we're WT 9 so far.

I've also rolled a Technomancer and at level 9, I'm halfway through WT6 solo. I thought it was going to be a nightmare but I'm having the easiest time with it.

*edit* I have discovered a small 'feature' I guess but more of a warning for others. It seems that since I've completed the game, it now thinks it is open season and made it available for my little baby Technomancer to be able to do the Wanted bounties (and I assume the Monster Hunts but I'm not even far enough to have met one yet). This wouldn't be a problem other than the fact that the first two spawn in areas you need to go through to progress the story :lol:.

Had some absolute arse handings but I shall endevour!

yeah tbh I haven’t and don’t think I’m inclined to do any of this single player, had a quick peek, and maybe it was the World Tier, but it was a bit of a squishy drag. Literally have no idea what’s going on but can see it gets better and better the more numbers go up and the more purples you own.

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Did you do anything specific to get to World Tier 13? That's well above what me and my OH have managed. Also what class are you?

Also is 30 max?

I froze the world tier at 4/5 when I got there, if you just let it roll you will eventually hit a difficulty wall that is totally unnecessary.Then I just played the story for a while and found a few missions that are easily repeatable and started modding my gear at around level 20.

When you find some easy missions you can begin to up the difficulty which will award better loot which in turn lets you keep world tier rolling.

The Technomancer has a crazy powerful build specced around blight rounds and blight turrets which helps greatly.

The bosses though, seem to require more players at higher difficulty so turn it down when you meet them.

30 is max character level, but I now have level 40 gear.

Been very surprised at this, I never realised just how much of a shotgun rusher I could be with my Trickster and it's gloooooorious.  I love it.  Not sure what the other classes are like compared to Trickster but if they are half as fun I need to give them a go.  I've just kept the world tier naturally going up and whilst I've hit a wall at times I just keep going/retrying until I level up a bit and get better gear.  Remember with gear you need to do 3 things basically, crafting wise - make sure they are as high a level you can go, raise their attributes and synergise their mods to go with your abilities.  You can buy some good weapons as well though I've enjoyed finding them/crafting them.

A few things I really appreciate as well - you can respec at anytime, free of cost and it really encourages experimentation with what works best with what mods, what you prefer to use weapon wise etc.  Experimentation is key.  As well as that an amazing quality of life setting you can set in the options is to autopick up dropped loot when you leave an area.  I set this to the lowest as even the common items you find are worth breaking down or selling.

Did a quick video of some shotgun rushing, I honestly don't think I'll ever get fed up with things bursting into blood :lol:

On 04/04/2021 at 18:27, Harsin said:

The fact it took them 5 years to make this reeks of troubled development. I suspect there were a lot of false starts and they started off down various roads that petered out. I mean there's a whole mechanic for upgrading your truck with cosmetics that from what I can tell nobody but you will ever see. 

Definitely agree with that.

There's obviously been a driving element that has been cut from the final game quite late in the day - not just the customisation but

Spoiler

there's a truck cutscene that goes straight into another truck cutscene that goes into a barely set-up boss fight, where a driving level has obviously been cut.

There's lots of elements that you could nit-pick at but it's fun and surprisingly compelling as a whole.

7 hours ago, mr_woo said:

Been very surprised at this, I never realised just how much of a shotgun rusher I could be with my Trickster and it's gloooooorious.  I love it.  Not sure what the other classes are like compared to Trickster but if they are half as fun I need to give them a go.  I've just kept the world tier naturally going up and whilst I've hit a wall at times I just keep going/retrying until I level up a bit and get better gear.  Remember with gear you need to do 3 things basically, crafting wise - make sure they are as high a level you can go, raise their attributes and synergise their mods to go with your abilities.  You can buy some good weapons as well though I've enjoyed finding them/crafting them.

A few things I really appreciate as well - you can respec at anytime, free of cost and it really encourages experimentation with what works best with what mods, what you prefer to use weapon wise etc.  Experimentation is key.  As well as that an amazing quality of life setting you can set in the options is to autopick up dropped loot when you leave an area.  I set this to the lowest as even the common items you find are worth breaking down or selling.

Did a quick video of some shotgun rushing, I honestly don't think I'll ever get fed up with things bursting into blood :lol:

Nice woo :) 

Trickster is definitely the most 'rushy' class but Devastator is good too as you need to be up in their face to et healed like Trickster.

Is that Golem's Arm (I think that's the name?) I see? Lovely perk that goes with your playstyle very well! :D  

Starting to get a bit tougher for me now. Level 24 and World tier 10. 

If I didn't have 300 volcanic rounds against bosses it would be impossible. The fact that the pyromancer is the weakest character health wise can be trouble unless you know what you are doing. 

Wee tip. Turn the auto loot on and press down when you clear an area, the radius is massive and it will collect everything. 

4 minutes ago, Ry said:

Turn the auto loot on and press down when you clear an area, the radius is massive and it will collect everything.

Or -

7 hours ago, mr_woo said:

As well as that an amazing quality of life setting you can set in the options is to autopick up dropped loot when you leave an area.

I've started this morning and i have played through and completed the warehouse mission.

It feels very similar to a lot of sci-fi games beforehand and seems to play like Gears Of War, but it's been an ok fun ride to pass some time when i'm not on one of my more enjoyable games. 

I'm looking forward to getting some co-op online at some point if some forumites are up for it, looking at Twitter people seem to think that's where it can shine. 

10 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

I've started this morning and i have played through and completed the warehouse mission.

It feels very similar to a lot of sci-fi games beforehand and seems to play like Gears Of War, but it's been an ok fun ride to pass some time when i'm not on one of my more enjoyable games. 

I'm looking forward to getting some co-op online at some point if some forumites are up for it, looking at Twitter people seem to think that's where it can shine. 

Try not to play it like GoW. Cover is only useful if you're either a Technomancer, the enemy or taking a pasting and need a breather. You need to be ultra aggressive, especially as a Trickster or Devastator as your healing only happens (unless your have an external perk for it) from close range murderising. 

The opening section is pretty rubbish and the game doesn't really start opening up until you start getting regular blue and then purple drops, around the 3rd zone. It's the mods on these that really breath life into the game as you can tailor your playstyle and there is no reason not to do it as the crafting is virtually free (only thing that is quite dear is the currency needed to upgrade from blue-purple).

11 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Try not to play it like GoW. Cover is only useful if you're either a Technomancer, the enemy or taking a pasting and need a breather. You need to be ultra aggressive, especially as a Trickster or Devastator as your healing only happens (unless your have an external perk for it) from close range murderising. 

The opening section is pretty rubbish and the game doesn't really start opening up until you start getting regular blue and then purple drops, around the 3rd zone. It's the mods on these that really breath life into the game as you can tailor your playstyle and there is no reason not to do it as the crafting is virtually free (only thing that is quite dear is the currency needed to upgrade from blue-purple).

Nice one. I went trickster and it's going well but I'm finding my powers regenerate a bit too slow to be rushing in and murdering everyone. Any tips there?

2 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Nice one. I went trickster and it's going well but I'm finding my powers regenerate a bit too slow to be rushing in and murdering everyone. Any tips there?

Skills and mods.  I haven't played Trickster but certainly with Pyro there are skills which reduce cooldown times, mods that allow double use of certain skills before cooldown, so on and so forth.  There are some really clever synergies at play between them.  This is the meat of the game.