Blizzard Arcade Collection

It seems a bit grand to call three very disparate SNES games an ‘arcade collection’. It feels a bit like like Blizzard have seen all the other arcade collections doing the rounds and decided they want to join in, but don’t quite have the back catalogue to justify it.

Of all the 16-bit developers who are still going today, you would have thought that, say, Rockstar North or DICE would be able to put together a more coherent collection than this one. At least the DICE one would have a consistent theme (ie pinball). 

It looks like they've got the SNES and Mega Drive versions on there, as well as the new "definitive editions". I used to love Lost Vikings on the Amiga and I have a soft spot for Blackthorne as it was one of a few PC Gamer cover CD demos that got under my skin but I never actually got round to the full game (although I think maybe I played the SNES version on emulator at some point...).

It's nice that they're giving these three games a spit and polish and doing an all singing, all dancing Diablo 2 remake, but are they going to go back and un-fuck Warcraft 3?

13 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

If they'd have given me RNRR as a fiver standalone I'd have ripped their arms off for it.

I nearly crumbled just to get RNRR again. But a big part of it for me, was hearing that music coming out of the SNES. It blew my wig off back then.

I don’t think they need to use the whole “arcade” thing are they aren’t arcade games  at all but SNES console titles. It just makes it more look like intentional misleading when it doesn’t need to be. It’s not a big issue though obviously. Ironically I was quick to click on here because I was scratching my head trying to work out what “arcade” games Blizzard could have made when I saw the thread title. 

Ive played all three of these and they aren’t too bad but not sure i’d Want to go back again. Maybe Rock n Roll Racing as I loved the music and it played great and is a good co-op game. The other two I’ve finished in the past and don’t have any desire to replay them again. Wasn’t there a Lost Vikings 2 game? 

I remember renting Blackthorne a couple times and for various reasons wasn't able to play it as much as I wanted. 

And since the kids have been playing and enjoying Huntdown, I think there's a good chance they'll like Blackthorne, too. I'm extra grateful for all the Huntdown recommendations. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
On 22/02/2021 at 10:05, K said:

It seems a bit grand to call three very disparate SNES games an ‘arcade collection’. It feels a bit like like Blizzard have seen all the other arcade collections doing the rounds and decided they want to join in, but don’t quite have the back catalogue to justify it.

Of all the 16-bit developers who are still going today, you would have thought that, say, Rockstar North or DICE would be able to put together a more coherent collection than this one. At least the DICE one would have a consistent theme (ie pinball). 

I think what's interesting is that all three games have multiple versions, many of which double the number of tracks and add new stages. I actually quite like compilations that take this approach, although it was bizarre they didn't add things like Diablo. 

2 hours ago, strider said:

I think what's interesting is that all three games have multiple versions, many of which double the number of tracks and add new stages. I actually quite like compilations that take this approach, although it was bizarre they didn't add things like Diablo. 

That is pretty cool. I like it when retro compilations include stuff like that - it's annoying when you get something like the Turrican collection, where they don't include the NES, C64 or PC versions, which are significantly different to the Amiga/SNES/Megadrive versions they do include. Although it's admittedly easier to go for that kind of deep approach when you've got the resources that Blizzard have and the collection only includes three games.

2 hours ago, K said:

That is pretty cool. I like it when retro compilations include stuff like that - it's annoying when you get something like the Turrican collection, where they don't include the NES, C64 or PC versions, which are significantly different to the Amiga/SNES/Megadrive versions they do include. Although it's admittedly easier to go for that kind of deep approach when you've got the resources that Blizzard have and the collection only includes three games.

Yeah it's an interesting approach. I've love a compilation like this from Capcom with both the NES and arcade versions available, as things like Strider are completely different games. It's good that more stuff is added and maybe they can dig up a few extras. Ultimately stuff like this always comes down to budget and most companies don't like spending out the money.

Glad to see the SNES versions of Lost Vikings 2 and RPM Racing have been added it was a real oversight they were missing, but that's the new Digital Eclipse for you who made this port. I will say the Rock N Roll Racing Definitive Edition is great and worth the price of admission on it's own. Calling it an arcade collection was a really odd naming choice, console collection would have been better.

I suspect the Lost Vikings 2, PS1/Saturn versions won't appear due to Blizzard not doing them and the voice cast used. It's would have been nice if the original Diablo had made it into this one Electronic Arts did the PS1 ports of that also with the PS1/Saturn port of Warcraft II. PS1 Diablo has split screen co-op as well, but with EA owning part of the ports they will be a no, no. Seeing a re-release of Starcraft64 would be nice, it's a solid port for the N64, but Blizzard didn't like it themselves.