IGNORED

The 3DS appreciation thread aka it’s a great system!

Ketchup

7 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I quite like the 3DS but I don't think its library even comes close to the breadth and quality of the DS.

I have to agree. Both systems have more than their fair share of shovelware, but going through the library of 3DS games recently it's sadly obvious there aren't as many interesting games as on the DS. That's not to say there are none, of course. Things like Bravely Default and Animal Crossing New Leaf are amazing and really sell the console. 

After modding my New 3DS last week I dumped a few carts onto the SD card and am looking forward to getting stuck into Etrian Odyssey IV and Fire Emblem Awakening. 

9 hours ago, Tomcat said:

I quite like the 3DS but I don't think its library even comes close to the breadth and quality of the DS.

I think you are correct on the breadth of software, but the quality im not so sure. I think the 3DS in some ways is a bit like the N64, the great games are the best, where as the DS is more comparable to the PSone where it's range is larger but its highs are not quite as high.

2 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Come again.

Blame ios auto correct :D

I liked the 3DS as a system but I find all of the hinged "square" portables from Nintendo really uncomfortable to hold and get thumb cramp within minutes, this seems to get worse the larger they get. I sold my Pikachu 3DS XL during Pokemon Go mania but my wife still has a Pokemon Y version and I have some sealed games that I never got around to playing which I will keep hold of.

There are very few DS games I want to go back to, but loads of 3DS games I’d love to play again. Touching things with the pen was cool and inventive and all that in 2004, but it’s a bit old hat now. Most of the big hitters were either better on GBA, or have been bettered since.

I was late to the 3DS - always used to be a Sony guy, but ended up getting a system recently - well after getting a  switch. 

I remember switching on my first 3DS game in 3d, bravely default, expecting it to look like crap due to lack of graphical capability and poor 3d and instead spending about five minutes saying (entirely to myself - but out loud) how beautiful it looked.

The 3DS to me feels like a kind of modern retro. In that the games aren’t graphical powerhouses with big open worlds - but they often punch well above their weight in terms of art and gameplay. There’s a lot of heart and soul in there.

I got copies of all the well rated games as stocks were cleared so as to have them in the cupboard ready to play when the backlog allows. Otherwise the risk in a couple of years is of expensive original games that work best in 3d on a 3DS than on an emulator meaning some of them become hard to find or out of reach.

And the system has one of the best ridge racers ever IMO even though it didn’t review so well!

The 3DS was a saint and I think the last of the great collectible handhelds. I see too many switch games that require content to be downloaded or day 1 patches etc but the 3DS has everything ready to go, all in one place. I like collecting games and the 3DS just feels so right, I didn’t get the same feeling with the DS which had a lot of guff, and shovel ware. The 3DS catalogue feels higher calibre and smaller, and more collectible. You can already see this with the prices.

• 10 months later...

Figured I might as well resurrect this one rather than make a new one...

In getting carried away with overly detailed replies on AFT here:

I started thinking and googling for 'New' 3DS exclusivity, in particular physical releases, and I wonder, if I've inadvertently (along with many others I'm sure) have a complete set 🤣

(crazy boundaries, niche etc. I don't really care about this aspect, really i'm just interested to know if there are others)

So, my question is...

Physical UK 'New' 3DS Exclusive games.

Are Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D the only ones?

It looks like Runbow Pocket and Minecraft were also released in the US, but not over here.

I know you could say this about every backwards compatible console but people saying it wasn’t as good as the DS, I’ve always thought of the 3DS as essentially an upgraded big brother of the original DS as opposed to a full on different console thus being able to play all DS & 3DS games which is one hell of a games library,

I would have to say the Switch is my favourite handheld of all time but the 3DS comes really, really bloody close. I actually miss things like Streetpass, it was always an excuse to have my 3DS in my back whilst going to a Games Con or even out shopping, and I love collecting the pieces of the gaming pictures, good times.

I recently re-bought a 3DS XL and as yet haven’t had much of a play around, the Shin Megami games that are on sale, never played one of the Series but the Switch game interests me, still worth a play today? 

Also a Rune Factory / Harvest Moon type of game, which is better Ever Oasis or Fantasy Life?

You’re right in that how can it be worse when it can do all the stuff that the DS does. But at the same time the released titles were a step down. Mainly because the 3ds was more of a traditional handheld with games where as the DS had werid stuff on it like the cooking app or eye training or electroplancton. I guess mobile phones filled that gap but it was missed even if they were not titles you’d buy a system for, they were interesting. It also felt like the stylus got far more use on the DS than the 3DS.

17 hours ago, Corranga said:

Figured I might as well resurrect this one rather than make a new one...

In getting carried away with overly detailed replies on AFT here:

I started thinking and googling for 'New' 3DS exclusivity, in particular physical releases, and I wonder, if I've inadvertently (along with many others I'm sure) have a complete set 🤣

(crazy boundaries, niche etc. I don't really care about this aspect, really i'm just interested to know if there are others)

So, my question is...

Physical UK 'New' 3DS Exclusive games.

Are Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 3D the only ones?

It looks like Runbow Pocket and Minecraft were also released in the US, but not over here.

I think that is the full “set” in PAL territories. I also was trying to find out a couple of months back and couldn’t find any evidence of any other physical releases. I’m sure I read somewhere there was a third, but when I tried to find it I couldn’t. I think it was on a Reddit page or something so likely someone confused or talking bollocks.