Ninty Fresh magazine - Issue 8 (Star Fox special) is now on Kickstarter!

Pixelated Ben

Hi everyone, the Kickstarter for issue 3 of Ninty Fresh is currently live at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nintymedia/ninty-fresh-issue-3 (ending Saturday 6th March), a publication created for everyone who would like to read a mag that fills the void left behind when the official Nintendo magazine closed. Issue 3 has lots of Pokémon content, as well as an interview with Peer Schneider (IGN), coverage on the new LEGO x Super Mario sets, a SNES Retrospective and a huge look at Wii Sports Resort (the latter has been written by me!).

The first 4 stretch targets have been reached, adding 6 A6 collectible postcards and increasing the page count to 100.

The magazine has been put together by a team of Nintendo enthusiasts who want to deliver a real quality product for readers who value print media. Please do take a look. I'd love some of the Rllmuk readers to get their hands on the magazine.

NF03.jpg

I'm going to sound like such a prick here but the writing in issues 1 and 2 is very up and down. There's some really striking art, the topics covered are very well selected and the design is good overall but the writing (or editing/commissioning) itself needs tightening up IMO. Hopefully that will come.

On 21/02/2021 at 11:15, Pixelated Ben said:

Hi everyone, the Kickstarter for issue 3 of Ninty Fresh is currently live at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nintymedia/ninty-fresh-issue-3 (ending Saturday 6th March), a publication created for everyone who would like to read a mag that fills the void left behind when the official Nintendo magazine closed. Issue 3 has lots of Pokémon content, as well as an interview with Peer Schneider (IGN), coverage on the new LEGO x Super Mario sets, a SNES Retrospective and a huge look at Wii Sports Resort (the latter has been written by me!).

The first 4 stretch targets have been reached, adding 6 A6 collectible postcards and increasing the page count to 100.

The magazine has been put together by a team of Nintendo enthusiasts who want to deliver a real quality product for readers who value print media. Please do take a look. I'd love some of the Rllmuk readers to get their hands on the magazine.

NF03.jpg

Looking forward to this, enjoyed the first two magazines. 

Hopefully the model can move to an annual type subscription rather than the individual kick-starters each time. 

Really enjoyed the interviews with the former editors of the Nintendo magazines in the first two issue - a really interested look at producing Nintendo written content back in the day. Hopefully you can track down someone from N64/NGC Magazine for a chat soon. 

22 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I'm going to sound like such a prick here but the writing in issues 1 and 2 is very up and down. There's some really striking art, the topics covered are very well selected and the design is good overall but the writing (or editing/commissioning) itself needs tightening up IMO. Hopefully that will come.

The feedback is appreciated - positive or negative. Our intention is to evolve the magazine each issue, and hopefully you will be pleased with the result in issue 3. The team that put the magazine have a real passion for Nintendo and for print media, but we do of course want that passion to result in a high quality too.

22 hours ago, McCoy said:

Looking forward to this, enjoyed the first two magazines. 

Hopefully the model can move to an annual type subscription rather than the individual kick-starters each time. 

Really enjoyed the interviews with the former editors of the Nintendo magazines in the first two issue - a really interested look at producing Nintendo written content back in the day. Hopefully you can track down someone from N64/NGC Magazine for a chat soon. 

More exciting interviews are planned in the coming issues, definitely! Thank you for your support. And a subscription model is being planned. I will look into this to confirm, but I believe a subscription option will be available from issue 4.

• 3 months later...

Issue 4 of Ninty Fresh magazine (a Legend of Zelda special!) is now live on Indiegogo... please do take a look, because we've got some incredible writing talent and artwork in the issue. (It's also my first issue as Reviews Editor, so OBVIOUSLY that's a big pull too :)) Full colour, 84 pages with no adverts. PDF and print options available!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ninty-fresh-magazine-issue-4#/

If you missed the first 3 issues, can I cheekily direct you to a link for all 3 for £14.99:

https://nintyfresh.net/product/ninty-fresh-triple-pack/

lcdeexrffygdv5l0ttzq.jpg

I’ve backed the new issue and have the others.

As pleased as I am to see a new print product doing well there are some things that drive me a bit crazy. There are widows everywhere and too many paragraphs start or end one line from the top or bottom of a column which looks really messy and rushed to me.

I also don’t know what to make of some of the longer features. The SNES one in the most recent issue was just odd. I expected it to be about the SNES scene in Brazil (which I know nothing about) but it basically boiled down to someone saying they got a SNES as a kid but only really got games on birthdays and Christmas. Which I would guess is the experience 90% of all kids who had 16-bit consoles in the early 90s. I’m not sure what I gained from reading someone say they really liked Mario World. We all did. 

The reviews are perhaps the best written (or perhaps it’s the editing) part of the mag but I don’t really need these myself. It’s not what the mag needs to be about because we can get reviews of these games earlier and more in-depth elsewhere.

Overall the editing could still be really tightened I think. I kept mentally editing things as I read them and that just feels like work.

What I’d like to see is more of a focus features about Nintendo’s cultural influence, how the brand has developed in other parts of the world etc. At the moment it’s a bit too surface level for me. I didn’t get very far in the Pokémon special in part because the first couple of paragraphs kept repeating the words resonate and resonance. I might be in a minority but I’m just not that interested in fans’ personal relationships with games unless those fans are a very big deal and have something really interesting to say. I’m much more interested in the games than the gamers I guess.

Thank you for supporting the magazine @Rex Grossman and I'm sorry to hear that not all the content is to your liking. We certainly want to have an element of personal stories/connection to Nintendo and its heritage amongst the features, while also ensuring it's broad enough for anyone to enjoy. We'll keep your feedback in mind though (I'll keep an eye out for too much "resonance"!).

4 hours ago, Pixelated Ben said:

Thank you for supporting the magazine @Rex Grossman and I'm sorry to hear that not all the content is to your liking. We certainly want to have an element of personal stories/connection to Nintendo and its heritage amongst the features, while also ensuring it's broad enough for anyone to enjoy. We'll keep your feedback in mind though (I'll keep an eye out for too much "resonance"!).

Thanks. I don’t want to be a dick here but there’s also a lot of apostrophes the wrong way round! 😬

I’ll stop now. 

On 06/06/2021 at 17:20, Rex Grossman said:

There are widows everywhere and too many paragraphs start or end one line from the top or bottom of a column which looks really messy and rushed to me.

So what you're saying is, it's got both widows and orphans? ;)

Does it also do the thing of ending a paragraph with a single word? Because that also bugs me. Using a WYSIWYG page editor, these should be super easy to avoid these days.

56 minutes ago, Sketch said:

So what you're saying is, it's got both widows and orphans? ;)

Does it also do the thing of ending a paragraph with a single word? Because that also bugs me. Using a WYSIWYG page editor, these should be super easy to avoid these days.

Wherever I’ve worked we’ve never used the word orphan, only widow. I don’t know if orphan is more American.

Just wanted to post this again because there's now less than 12 hours before the campaign ends for Ninty Fresh magazine issue 4. There's a massive feature celebrating 35 years of Zelda, retrospectives on some classic Nintendo games, reviews of the latest Switch releases, exclusive art, and lots more. 100 full colour A4 pages with no ads.

Prices for the print copy begin from £5.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ninty-fresh-magazine-issue-4#/

cl4zomqv4sgeipz0lsos.png

• 3 months later...

It's that time again! Issue 5 of Ninty Fresh magazine is now on Kickstarter:

So far, it's been our most successful issue to-date, and we hope as many Nintendo fans as possible can find space for it on their bookcase. Ninty Fresh is an A4 full-colour magazine featuring news, retrospectives and reviews (Metroid Dread obviously headlines this issue). Pledge option prices for the issue start from £5 for a physical copy.

7d77c8fd4b682163c58915d9c55bb93c_original.png

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi everyone, there are just a few days remaining for the Kickstarter of issue 6 of Ninty Fresh magazine. 100 full colour pages including a massive retrospective on the Donkey Kong series (including the DK Game & Watches and Kong's appearances in TV and Manga), an interview with Kev Bayliss, and further retrospectives on the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance, and SNES release Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals. More articles and retros are yet to be revealed.

Plus the biggest Switch reviews section Ninty Fresh has ever had, Nintendo news, and lots of commissioned bespoke art from some incredible artists.

PLEASE support Ninty Fresh if you can. Pledges for the physical copy start at £6 plus p&p. 

On 22/03/2022 at 16:46, Butters said:

Thank you for the reminder - been meaning to pledge but work and kids kept distracting me at the last minute!

Done. Looking forward to reading the latest issue.

Thank you so much, it is really appreciated!

It's the last few hours to back issue 6 of Ninty Fresh magazine. I'd really love more rllmukforum members to have a read, and support the magazine if you can. Print media is a tough market, and while we try our best to raise awareness of the magazine, it's not easy. (We're trying to get a spot in newsagents...)

Here's a FREE PDF of our previous issue (a Metroid special) to tempt you:

https://t.co/RZRo8bTk8z

NF5.jpg

Fisr time I've seen this but will back in a bit for the digital copy. I have some issues with my eyes that means reading the print version would be almost impossible. I notice on the site you don't sell PDF versions of the older copies, is there any reason for this or will you in the future?

6 hours ago, Vorgot said:

Fisr time I've seen this but will back in a bit for the digital copy. I have some issues with my eyes that means reading the print version would be almost impossible. I notice on the site you don't sell PDF versions of the older copies, is there any reason for this or will you in the future?

An update: the digital copies being available when the Kickstarters are running is basically the process that we ended up doing (and got into the habit of), but we are looking into options for having back issues available digitally. Particularly in scenarios such as yours, in which the print version is less accessible. By the way, don't forget to have a read of the digital PDF of issue 5 (our previous issue) a few posts back :)

15 minutes ago, Pixelated Ben said:

An update: the digital copies being available when the Kickstarters are running is basically the process that we ended up doing (and got into the habit of), but we are looking into options for having back issues available digitally. Particularly in scenarios such as yours, in which the print version is less accessible. By the way, don't forget to have a read of the digital PDF of issue 5 (our previous issue) a few posts back :)

Cheers Ben. Grabbed that issue 5, thats what made me hope you had the others available, especially the Zelda one which I am gutted I missed. I pledged for 6 anyway so will be getting that. Hopefully I'll be able to grab the back issues in the future. Thanks for getting back to me!

Thanks for that - will have a read. That said is Switch Player yours as well? Like the look of Kirby on the latest issue :)

If its not too late I'll back issue 6. I had a SNES (Starfox edition which cost me 15 weeks of Saturday jobs!), Gamecube and then GBA,DS and a 3DS & happy to support you as I'm guessing your covering all of that up to switch.

Sounds like @Rex Grossmanknows his onions and free advice is free.

Hi @Kirby if you missed the Kickstarter for issue 6, it will be available on the Ninty Fresh store a little later at https://nintyfresh.net/

You have a rich Nintendo history! That Starfox edition of SNES must have been an exciting moment, after all those weeks of saving up. The SNES era passed my by; it was the Goldeneye N64 bundle that lured me in.

Kirby is indeed the main focus of issue 61 of Switch Player, I think the cover is one of our best yet.

FOYYwa-WUAE836i.jpg

• Pixelated Ben changed the title to Ninty Fresh magazine - Issue 8 (Star Fox special) is now on Kickstarter!