24 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Whoops. My mistake, sorry. Will edit now.

Which sites are reporting it as a 5 @Rudderless? Not based on this thread, surely?

Yep! Either that or the Resetera post which used this thread as a source. :)

It doesn't bother me in the slightest if a forum poster makes a tiny mistake (and a 5 instead of a 6 is nothing, really). But you could probably get away with posting every score wrong next month and a few places would just report them anyway.   

I'm going to assume that Hitman 3's score was a typo also, because it's an obvious 10 ;)

Looking forward to reading this month's issue, both as there's a good few reviews of games I'm on the fence about, and because I'm very interested in the Paradise Killer making of.

59 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Whoops. My mistake, sorry. Will edit now.

Which sites are reporting it as a 5 @Rudderless? Not based on this thread, surely?

there are no doubt other examples

Scores indicate why I no longer read the Edge to be honest. If I'd have looked at those scores years ago The Medium wouldn't have got a look in. However played and enjoyed it. All opinion I guess and really just shows how irrelevant and outdated scores are these days for me.

It would be interesting to read what was said about the games though. But not paying to read that. :)

Think Edge lost me a bit with the mokier "The Future Of Interactive Entertainment" then shuttered the forum and website down. :D

Still at least they are still around I guess for those that still enjoy reading it. Bought a few issues digitally over the past couple of years just to see if there is anything of interest. But no. Odd really as I used to buy it religiously for years.

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Scores indicate why I no longer read the Edge to be honest. If I'd have looked at those scores years ago The Medium wouldn't have got a look in. However played and enjoyed it. All opinion I guess and really just shows how irrelevant and outdated scores are these days for me.

It would be interesting to read what was said about the games though. But not paying to read that. :)

I bought every issue from 1997 till probably 10 years later...stoping around 2007/8 ...and in those days I used it basically as a buying guide, when you have little cash because you’re a poor student you want the most bang for your buck. I just ended up playing a lot of games that weren’t for me and missing out on some absolute classics. The for mentioned 3rd Strike was one of them! 

Maybe investing everything in one review publication isn’t wise and it’s good to get opinion from lots of sources and follow the ones that best suit your taste, but that’s not really been possible till the more wide spread Internet.

More and more I feel Edge just stands out as a pariah that I can’t help be bamboozled by, but that’s their thing really. 

I honestly wouldn’t  be surprised if in future something like this issue’s hyped Balan Wonderworld lands an 8 or something. 

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I bought every issue from 1997 till probably 10 years later...stoping around 2007/8 ...and in those days I used it basically as a buying guide, when you have little cash because you’re a poor student you want the most bang for your buck. I just ended up playing a lot of games that weren’t for me and missing out on some absolute classics. The for mentioned 3rd Strike was one of them! 

Maybe investing everything in one review publication isn’t wise and it’s good to get opinion from lots of sources and follow the ones that best suit your taste, but that’s not really been possible till the more wide spread Internet.

More and more I feel Edge just stands out as a pariah that I can’t help be bamboozled by, but that’s their thing really. 

I honestly wouldn’t  be surprised if in future something like this issue’s hyped Balan Wonderworld lands an 8 or something. 

Indeed. For me I bought Edge pretty much from issue 3 onwards think it was the first publication to have a more mature feel to it and had genuinely interesting articles about the technology itself as well as the games. And yes it was the days before the internet became a thing which also made it much more relevent.

My guess we to why they ditched the whole digital presence (web / forum etc) was that it would disappear an a sea of digital noise. At least having something physical and tangible differentiates it from the rest. Unfortunately many kids these days are watching YouTube for their reviews etc. Hell even I do most of the time. Read the odd review. 

Still has a market I guess for those that enjoy reading.

I don't like arbitrary scores on the end of any media reviews - I think it veers too close to treating games or films or whatever as products rather than collaborative art works.

Anyway, just off to do another top 100 games of all time thread...