Capcom Arcade Stadium - Come for the free games, stay for the music

Eshop link: https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Capcom-Arcade-Stadium-1923847.html

Shooters, fighting, action—all your favourite genres in this exciting collection! Capcom Arcade Stadium brings back all the nostalgia of the arcade, while adding in new and exciting features you'll wish you had back then!

Just Like the Good Old Days

From 3D-rendered arcade cabinets to scanline filters, there's everything you need to recreate that arcade atmosphere. Fully customizable display settings let you craft your own personal experience and truly relive the glory days of arcade gaming.

Brand New Ways to Play

With gameplay rewind, speed adjustment, and the ability to save and load your game at any time, your old favorites will feel new all over again!

Every game has online leaderboard rankings, so you can see where you stack up against players all over the world!

Capcom Arcade Stadium, where retro appeal meets cutting-edge features for a fresh take on Capcom's classics!

The client is free to download and you get 1943 included; download before Feb 25th and you also get a free copy of Ghosts 'n Goblins. Games can be bought in packs that cost £11.99 each or you can get the three launch packs in a bundle for £29.99. The game has been confirmed for PlayStation, Xbox and Steam later this year. So if you're struggling with ways to play retro games on PC, Capcom has your back.

The packs

cap1.png.3b820aaba546602fd3637a4595dab65b.png

cap2.png.2eeea3c23cfb020d22a699690ddd3eba.png

cap3.png.979901f3debf526c12180756da065f44.png

As soon as I heard the title screen song, A Brand New Day by Zac Zinger and Buku (available now on all streaming services), I knew that Capcom were taking this seriously. I hit the A button too quickly on first boot, not ready for the genius. You can hear it in the trailer posted, it is peak video games.

The whole collection seems like it has been handled with love. The presentation is absolutely gorgeous and you've got all the different screen sizes and filter options to play with. There's also some online leaderboard action with Capcom highlighting specific games each week. Decent quality of life improvements include save states and the ability to rewind.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or my own incompetence but it looks like you should be able to set video options per game as there's a separate Y button prompt to 'Apply to all games'. However once I set 1943 to Tate mode, it set all of the games to that, including the game select screen. Which was annoying. Although if that's the only problem I've encountered so far then I'll take it for such a well put together collection.

I do wish there was more museum style features on the games though. I always think they're a good touch.

Does anyone have links to the actual packs on the eshop? It seems impossible to find them. From within the game it doesn't seem to take you to them either.

Edit: under DLC apparently.

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

Does anyone have links to the actual packs on the eshop? It seems impossible to find them. From within the game it doesn't seem to take you to them either.

Yeah, that also seems to be another weird quirk. If you go to the eshop on your Switch, new releases, then click on the game and scroll down they are all listed there. You're right. If you just click on download from within the game it currently takes you to the free Ghost 'n Goblins download, no matter what game you click on.

Is there no way to rotate the controls when the screen is rotated? I know it’s an ergonomic nightmare trying to play in tate mode but it would’ve been good for those of us without the flip grip thing or with a Switch Lite.

Numerous reports of lag and judder and other framey business but it's been largely good enough for me. I've only tried Pack 3 for the brilliant Progear, remarkably never released on console before. It's a legit Cave bullet hell with a kind of chunky Metal Slug/steam punk aesthetic. Amazing game with some of the greatest boss names in history. 

Giga Wing is another superb shmup on the same pack. Defo laggier but very playable.

I put a bit of time in on 1943 last night, managed to break through the 140,000 minimum requirement for the global leaderboard. The top player scores are insane.

Generally the frame rate is fine. Had a couple of moments of judder but not at consistent points so wonder if something else going on behind the scenes was causing it. 

Anyway very tempted by the whole package. Supporting this might just make others take note and put something similar out. 

Playing Ghosts and Goblins, 1943 and more importantly Ghouls n Ghosts on a Switch Lite and I haven't experienced anything that felt laggy, but I'm using the analogue stick so might not be the right crowd to ask :).

This is proper brilliant. All that Capcom on the go!

EDIT : I'm playing offline so maybe that could contribute to any reports of judder?

There definitely is lag and judder within the whole package but how much varies from game to game.

Progear has a fair bit of slowdown because that's a deliberate functional element of bullet hell games so that probably masks or mitigates some judder, if it's even there. Giga Wing and 19XX don't seem to have any judder but they're quite input laggy. You can feel a split second of delay before your ship moves. Perfectly playable though 'for fun', although not arcade perfect, of course.

I might pick up the other couple of packs down the line just to support the release. Wonder if they'll update it and bring more games to the client. 

I remember spending about £40 odd on the Virgin Interactive-published GigaWing on the Dreamcast way back in the mists of time, which by all accounts today was supposed to be a laggy, frame-stuttering mess. Young me didn't care and had a whale of a time, going mad collecting gold medallions. 

£30 for the lot of these is a steal, no matter the occasional missed frame or what have you. I think the comments from actual PCB/mame/arcade players are important, and I don't think lag or frame issues should be dismissed out of hand, but casuals like me who just won't notice it shouldn't let themselves be put off.

I just love the virtual arcade front end of this, and the ability to select different types of cabs.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

It seems weird to obfuscate the parts they actually want people to buy.

weird. They appeared in the eshop as distinct titles to buy when I bought it. (So like the free download was one, then the 3 in 1 for £29.99 etc etc). 

edit: just checked, they still are there, under recent releases. 

Anyway, the whole thing is worth it if only for the pixel art neon candy cabinets. 

2 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Is there no way to rotate the controls when the screen is rotated? I know it’s an ergonomic nightmare trying to play in tate mode but it would’ve been good for those of us without the flip grip thing or with a Switch Lite.

This seems like quite an oversight, I simple removed my joycons and propped the system up on its side. Would it even be comfortable to use a Switch Lite in tate mode?

7 minutes ago, geldra said:

There’s Screen Orientation and Display orientation. Do they not do what you need?

One of them re-orients the arcade cab that appears on screen, the other re-orients the image on the cab. But up, down, left, right is still in relation to the Switch screen’s normal up down left right.

It is not very ergonomic and will probably snap the joycon off eventually but I had fun with it on the Vita:

37 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

One of them re-orients the arcade cab that appears on screen, the other re-orients the image on the cab. But up, down, left, right is still in relation to the Switch screen’s normal up down left right.

It is not very ergonomic and will probably snap the joycon off eventually but I had fun with it on the Vita:

Just tried it with the Lite.  You can orient it so that it plays Tate with the correct u/d/l/r inputs on the stick if it’s oriented left (or right).  It still uses standard buttons though. 

Agreed it could do with a bit more thought. You’d want it orienting to the right AND using the right stick.  

Edit: it’s a shame, the option to change movement to the right stick is there but greyed out. (Presumably because it appears to map the stick and buttons to movement)