I've never watched Titanic

I didn't watch it till 2006. Didn't really know what all the fuss was about till it was on BBC.

I loved it. I've watched it several times over the years, own dvd special editions, watched the 3d one.

I love disaster movies but the characters in this ... I like them a lot.

Who cares if they added a romantic edge ? Kept me interested!

4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

You do kind of get the feeling that with Titanic and Avatar, Cameron was just so excited by the filmmaking process (building a real Titanic, doing the deep sea dives to the wreckage, filming in 3D for Avatar etc), he found sitting down and writing a script the difficult part. Their scripts aren’t dreadful - far from it - but they’re nowhere near the standard of his earlier stuff.

I think he can only get excited if he's almost drowning lots of crew and extras :lol: 

I think the effects are still passable and definitely not bad, but they're not helped by the fact the spectacle of it was a big part of the allure at the time, so there's loads of triumphant shots of the boat when it's revealed and long lingering sections of it pootling around the ocean for us to admire. The sets are incredible though. I can only imagine the logistical headache of having them all fill up with water.

EDIT: I don't need to imagine as that video explains it.

I have a soft spot for Titanic, although I haven't seen it for over a decade. As others have said, the romance story isn't exactly brilliant but the disaster movie elements are really well done. Cameron in action/suspense mode is amazing.

One thing that hasn’t aged well, which we only noticed on when we last tuned in at a random point, are the CGI people walking about the boat during the flyover. They are hilariously bad, and odd that we’ve never seen before.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

I didn't watch it till 2006. Didn't really know what all the fuss was about till it was on BBC.

I loved it. I've watched it several times over the years, own dvd special editions, watched the 3d one.

I love disaster movies but the characters in this ... I like them a lot.

Who cares if they added a romantic edge ? Kept me interested!

I saw the cinema 3D release and, as a person who doesn't tend to be a fan of 3D, I thought it was a really impressive conversion. 

In some ways it's sad that 3D died a death because done well it does add an interesting element but, yeah, it doesn't need to be on every bloody film. 

Do any new movies even come out in 3D now or is that fad well and truly done? 

Wouldn't mind a 4K conversion of Titanic at some point. 

I also think the soundtrack to the movie is brilliant, some great music compositions. 

2 hours ago, Paulando said:

One thing that hasn’t aged well, which we only noticed on when we last tuned in at a random point, are the CGI people walking about the boat during the flyover. They are hilariously bad, and odd that we’ve never seen before.

I remember them trying to make the term “synthespian” a thing at the time, in relation to those. 

On 18/02/2021 at 21:27, Capwn said:

There was an 'alternate ending' clip I came across yesterday. It was the longest clip I've ever seen from the film (or not in the film I guess, in this instant). I was convinced this was like a SNL sketch or something, had to watch the proper ending to make sure it was real.

It looks so bad. Like something out of a Garth Merengi's Dark Place episode .

Titanic, to those that have seen it, has it really aged badly or was it always bad?

I only watched it a couple of weeks ago, but can’t remember at all now that differs from the actual ending 

5 minutes ago, MrPogo said:

I only watched it a couple of weeks ago, but can’t remember at all now that differs from the actual ending 

She drops the necklace in the water but is alone at the time.

The very end where she returns to the ship and all the other victims are there is one of the best moments in cinema.  

although we still wonder what her poor husband who is hanging around in the afterlife is thinking.  

Ok, just watched the original and it turns out I watched a version with the alternative ending edited in. That’s why it seemed the same :lol: Thought seemed a bit cheesy at the time!

It's an extremely well-made and entertaining movie that gets far more hate than it warrants because it made so much money, won so many awards and was incredibly popular amongst women. Never underestimate how much men on the internet love to vent their spleen at something both successful and popular with women.

The craft in the second half of the movie is undeniable but despite the first half being cheesy and broad as fuck, with a cartoon baddy, it works. There's enough there to make your root for Jack and Rose and the situation they're in.

As a piece of cinema history it's one of those movies everyone should see once just to see how they feel about it.

22 hours ago, Thor said:

Never seen it; never will. I'll never forgive it for stealing Oscars from LA Confidential. 

It's been 23 years....

(Again, this does reek of 'how dare that disaster/romance movie be so popular?' if you haven't even bothered seeing it. Of course the Academy Awards were going to recognise a movie so insanely popular and which represented such a historic achievement.)

It's definitely a movie that is worth a watch. 

That being said, I get if you don't have the time or inclination. There's loads of movies like that for me which I'm sure are actually excellent but I've never seen. 

But there's no point boycotting it just... because it's famous or was a hit back in the day or because women like it. Loads of people enjoy, some people don't. There's no point to be proven by refusing to see it just because a load of 'casuals' really enjoyed it. It's a fun, crowd pleasing blockbuster that's actually a lot better than other 'crowd pleasing blockbusters'. 

I’ve always had a natural aversion to anything super popular, but over the years I’ve learnt that more often than not there’s at least some justification behind so many people liking it.

On 20/02/2021 at 11:22, Majora said:

It's an extremely well-made and entertaining movie that gets far more hate than it warrants because it made so much money, won so many awards and was incredibly popular amongst women. Never underestimate how much men on the internet love to vent their spleen at something both successful and popular with women.

It is possible to dislike a film, find it tedious in the extreme, even hate it - and recognise it had some great techincal aspects.. without being a man hating something women like :D

The craft in the second half of the movie is undeniable but despite the first half being cheesy and broad as fuck, with a cartoon baddy, it works. There's enough there to make your root for Jack and Rose and the situation they're in.

As a piece of cinema history it's one of those movies everyone should see once just to see how they feel about it.

The 2nd half of the film is a technical tour de force punctuated with exactly the same utterly awful cartoonish , cheesy broad as fuck rubbish as the first half.

James Cameron does not understand human beings or how they interact in actual reality. He is at his best when directing robots or aliens, when it comes to humans he ONLY knows cheesy broad as fuck cartoony stuff.

I kind of liked Billy Zane's silly cartoon bad guy.

I was about to say it was this that made him known to me, thinking I saw him in The Phantom before this, but turns out that was only the year before Titanic, which seems surprising. So I probably did see him in this first as it was a while before I saw The Phantom.

2 hours ago, Clipper said:

It is possible to dislike a film, find it tedious in the extreme, even hate it - and recognise it had some great techincal aspects.. without being a man hating something women like :D

That's true, but I do think that a lot of the vitriol that's been aimed at the film over the years can be characterised as boys saying: "Ewww, romance! That's for girls and they have cooties!" 

The same goes for Twilight. No matter how many legitimate reasons to criticise the books and films there are (and I've heard there are a lot), part of the reason it disproportionately received complaints online was because it became symbolic of everything teenage girls are looked down on for liking. Lindsay Ellis did a video about this (it's been a while since I watched it so I can't remember if she mentions Titanic in there too):