I've never watched Titanic

It's weird, I'm really into films, especially award winning ones. I tend to try and watch at least 5 oscar nominations every year. Yet I've never watched Titanic. I even live next to a graveyard full of real Titanic people here in Halifax, Canada.

I remember being mildly interested before it came out, with how accurate all the ship detail was. When it came out though it was this big mainstream thing, especially with the Celine Dion song. That put me off, I think the more people banged on about how amazing it was the more I wanted to avoid it.

There was an 'alternate ending' clip I came across yesterday. It was the longest clip I've ever seen from the film (or not in the film I guess, in this instant). I was convinced this was like a SNL sketch or something, had to watch the proper ending to make sure it was real.

It looks so bad. Like something out of a Garth Merengi's Dark Place episode .

Titanic, to those that have seen it, has it really aged badly or was it always bad?

I've never seen it either. I've just never felt like going out of my way to watch it and it's never been placed in front of me. It starts to feel like maybe subconscious avoidance at some stage though when you haven't seen some mega blockbuster and years have passed since it came out. 

You should watch it because even though the romance story isn't that remarkable, the second half is an excellent disaster movie.

My favourite bit is when we follow a character going deeper into the sinking ship... the atmosphere is really tense, as the lights flicker and the ship creaks. I don't know if anyone's ever said this, but that James Cameron guy is pretty good at directing action scenes.

... And then go and seek out the 1998 French and Saunders Christmas special to see a pre-Spaced Edgar Wright recreating it all on a BBC budget!

I think it’s pretty good. The script is quite basic, but the performances really breathe some life into it. I’m always impressed by how much drama they manage to get out of a boat sinking when a lot of movies have the entire world getting destroyed and there’s no tension.

14 minutes ago, ravnaz said:

What about titanic 2?

Or alternatively, watch one of the multiple direct-to-video animated movies that were made in the wake (ho ho) of Titanic's success:

https://jehanimation.tumblr.com/post/151745456668/godawful-animated-titanic-movies

There’s not much I can say about this that hasn’t already been said elsewhere on the internet, other than that a rap number performed by a boombox-toting, vest and cap-wearing dog throwing gang signs into a fisheye lens in a film set in 1912 on the Titanic was, on balance, probably a bad idea.

For Italy to have produced one inept and ill-advised animated romance about the Titanic featuring talking mice is hard enough to believe; for them to have produced two within the space of a year is more than most people are willing to accept. Still, it’s important not confuse the two: The Legend of the Titanic may bear a startling number of similarities to The Legend Goes On, but it’s very much its own beast, with monstrous characteristics all its own.

My dad was a Titanic enthusiast so he was thrilled to see a recreation of the ship on the big screen. I was dragged to see it at the cinema three times after it was released and I don't think I've seen it since. Do the effects hold up today?

It seems to be on all the time on Sky, so it feels like we’ve constantly tuned in at random points for the last few years. The main romance story is corny af, but there are are lots of great lines throughout.

As @Nick R says, the second half makes for a great disaster movie, and the recreation of the ship and the sinking makes it an interesting watch if anything. It was an astonishing achievement in 1997 and still holds up today, and the excellent performances make the main story bearable (plus it has Bill Paxton in it)

7 hours ago, DeciderVT said:

My dad was a Titanic enthusiast so he was thrilled to see a recreation of the ship on the big screen. I was dragged to see it at the cinema three times after it was released and I don't think I've seen it since. Do the effects hold up today?

I think they do for the most part. Since it was a lot of practical stunt and effects work it's held up much better than the equivalent CGI attempts of the time.

I had to endure it again when one of my nippers was learning about The Titanic. Di Caprio and Winslet are really charismatic and there are some decent performances from tied supporting cast. But it’s too long and overblown with a laughable script. 

We got most enjoyment from replaying the part where the boat capsizes and you see people plummet to death as The Titanic becomes vertical. The resounding thunk as people hit the funnels was eminently watchable. 

You do kind of get the feeling that with Titanic and Avatar, Cameron was just so excited by the filmmaking process (building a real Titanic, doing the deep sea dives to the wreckage, filming in 3D for Avatar etc), he found sitting down and writing a script the difficult part. Their scripts aren’t dreadful - far from it - but they’re nowhere near the standard of his earlier stuff.