Capcom Arcade Stadium

Rex Grossman

I see when this released Capcom Arcade Stadium also got an update so both titles have all the same features which is nice. This time around there is a lot of over lap with the Capcom Fighting Jam collection, which largely seems like it was done purely to sell Red Earth on it's own. Also was hoping Capcom Arcade Stadium 2 would include the arcade version of Street Fighter Zero 2 Alpha (That's the Gold version in English) but alas no, the Asian ROM of it is in English as well. Really odd the English version of Gun.Smoke is missing too as that had a different arcade ladder. It was in Capcom Arcade Classics on Xbox 360 and PS3 mind.

The emulation of the Street Fighter Alpha games is far better here than it was in the 30th Anni collection. Which was just shocking, they tried to added in new features and it just back fired making the games look worse and adding slow down.

6 minutes ago, Riven said:

I see when this released Capcom Arcade Stadium also got an update so both titles have all the same features which is nice.

Thank you for mentioning this because I meant to check earlier and forgot. I seem to remember I couldn't map my preferred controller to the first collection since "Insert Coin" couldn't be remapped and I didn't have the right button but that's not the case in the second. Woo! 

1943 Kai: Midway Kaisen is according to https://nineteenforty.fandom.com/wiki/1943_Kai:_Midway_Kaisen

an enhanced remake of 1943: The Battle of Midway, released in 1987 for Arcades exclusively in Japan.

It's shorter but still brutal. There's a couple of things I don't like about the 1943 series. The life bar doesn't give enough feedback. Because it's down the bottom of the screen and much of your focus is up the top you can think you're doing well only to suddenly die. And this is usually down to the second thing I don't like about 1943 games. They love to have enemies approaching you from the bottom of the screen. A lot. It happens in a lot of Capcom shooters but it feels overplayed here.

It does feel like the only way to get through is coin scumming. Nope. You want to get good or get out because continues only work until the last level. Die there and you are done, do not pass go, game over. I'm not sure I could have handled this on the easiest setting back in the day. Now, no chance. If you want a challenging bullet hell shooter then good luck and all the best to you, here it is.

666202-1943-kai-arcade-screenshot-bigger

On 26/07/2022 at 12:16, Yasawas said:

Thank you for mentioning this because I meant to check earlier and forgot. I seem to remember I couldn't map my preferred controller to the first collection since "Insert Coin" couldn't be remapped and I didn't have the right button but that's not the case in the second. Woo! 

i think that was patched in a while back as I had the same issue. Not that it matters when it was patched in of course. 

edit:  looking at your posts on Black Tiger and Tiger Road @Unofficial Who, it reminds me of seeing the US Gold full page adverts for those games in CVG and marvelling at the screenshots (bullshots) and how much better they looked in comparison to the C64 etc versions. They seemed SO exotic and out of reach at the time, and that playing the version in the screenshots must be like THE BEST THING EVER. And now we can and it’s a bit *shrug*. 

spacer.png

edit2: that purple and blue banding at the edges!!!

19 hours ago, geldra said:

i think that was patched in a while back as I had the same issue. Not that it matters when it was patched in of course. 

edit:  looking at your posts on Black Tiger and Tiger Road @Unofficial Who, it reminds me of seeing the US Gold full page adverts for those games in CVG and marvelling at the screenshots (bullshots) and how much better they looked in comparison to the C64 etc versions. They seemed SO exotic and out of reach at the time, and that playing the version in the screenshots must be like THE BEST THING EVER. And now we can and it’s a bit *shrug*. 

The odd thing about the art in Tiger Road is how few times the artwork repeats. There's unique sections which just aren't used again like the room full of giant snakes or the spider room or the room of bones and skulls.

So tonight I played Last Duel a game so average looking as a vertical shooter that I didn't know about it until I saw the reviews for the home ports and then immediately forgot they existed. I mean games that looked like this (or better) were a dime a dozen in 1988 on the C64.

322789-last-duel-inter-planet-war-2012-c

The arcade version obviously looks better than that. It's a vertical shooter alternating between road combat sections and air combat sections. Given your craft can transform I'm not sure why you wouldn't just fly.

687485-last-duel-inter-planet-war-2012-a

There was just too much competition for this to stand out at the time and even now I wondered if I could instead be playing Xenon 2.

687497-last-duel-inter-planet-war-2012-a

Not a bad game, just really average.

Of course what you could do if you were playing this compilation is skip Last Duel and play LED Storm instead.

It takes the road based part of Last Duel, removes the guns and leans into the Bump'n'Jump influences making for a decent top down racer.

663866-l-e-d-storm-arcade-screenshot-mot

Coin scumming won't help here as continues take you back to the current stage. This makes rewinds of limited utility. But this also means that this game has a pretty fair difficulty curve. It's as good as the C64 port I played back in the day in all areas apart from sound where the C64 version had excellent music by Tim Follin.

119511-l-e-d-storm-commodore-64-screensh

I do wonder sometimes if this game influenced a later future racer....

27175-f-zero-snes-screenshot-level-1-sta

Stadium 2 is an incredible collection of games, really packed with classics.

But having said that I still won’t be picking it up until it’s on sale, as there’s a lot of cross over with the other compilations like the Arcade Classics and Belt Action one that I already have. 

It would be great if Capcom could put together a front end to unify them all in some way, a bit like the Masterchief collection or something 

2 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Of course what you could do if you were playing this compilation is skip Last Duel and play LED Storm instead.

It takes the road based part of Last Duel, removes the guns and leans into the Bump'n'Jump influences making for a decent top down racer.

663866-l-e-d-storm-arcade-screenshot-mot

Coin scumming won't help here as continues take you back to the current stage. This makes rewinds of limited utility. But this also means that this game has a pretty fair difficulty curve. It's as good as the C64 port I played back in the day in all areas apart from sound where the C64 version had excellent music by Tim Follin.

119511-l-e-d-storm-commodore-64-screensh

I do wonder sometimes if this game influenced a later future racer....

27175-f-zero-snes-screenshot-level-1-sta

I adored LED Storm on the C64 and have never played any other version (not even on MAME) so this is my main motivation to buy the collection.

2 hours ago, Rex Grossman said:

I adored LED Storm on the C64 and have never played any other version (not even on MAME) so this is my main motivation to buy the collection.

If it's for the game you'll love it. There's some brilliant bits in it, racing over open dust plains, weaving between trucks, racing through a dinosaur skeleton avoiding the bones that fall from above, all good.

If it's for the funky soundtrack you'll be sorely disappointed. It's like Follin slapped the hand offering him a cassette of the music out of the hand offering it. "Leave it to me. I've got this."

Also the onboard computer speaks in the arcade version in the key of Poindexter in such a way it made me want to plough into the nearest wall.

16 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

If it's for the game you'll love it. There's some brilliant bits in it, racing over open dust plains, weaving between trucks, racing through a dinosaur skeleton avoiding the bones that fall from above, all good.

If it's for the funky soundtrack you'll be sorely disappointed. It's like Follin slapped the hand offering him a cassette of the music out of the hand offering it. "Leave it to me. I've got this."

Also the onboard computer speaks in the arcade version in the key of Poindexter in such a way it made me want to plough into the nearest wall.

I have read the soundtrack is far superior on the C64. I’ve not heard it in so long I’m headed to YouTube now to remind myself. 

Edit: OMFG it’s amazing. What some musicians could do with the C64 was unreal.

Magic Sword feels like Capcom's answer to Taito's Rastan and...it's not a great answer. More of a run and gun than a platform RPG. This would be forgettable shallow stuff if it wasn't for the pixel art which still looks great to this day.

655014-magic-sword-arcade-screenshot-sel

712036-magic-sword-arcade-screenshot-bos

655019-magic-sword-arcade-screenshot-bos

It just looks great if a little repetitive from start to finish. Capcom during this era is just a powerhouse when it comes to pixel art.

When I was a young man I used to drag my poor girlfriend to arcades where I would be drawn to the weird oddities at the back. And one of my favourites was a Capcom cabinet called Three Wonders, a board that contained three different games. My favourite of the three was Midnight Wanderers: Quest for the Chariot, a game of the same genre as Strider and Ghost's'n'Goblins. With one big difference. This one was playable for mere mortals.

679156-three-wonders-arcade-screenshot-b

I mean at the time it looked to me like a super charged Amiga game. And weirdly enough it feels a lot like a friendlier version of Cuphead!

While the controls can feel a bit sticky at times this might be my pick of the collection. If I had a bone to pick it's that you can't run and gun, it's one or the other but for fans of the genre it's essential.

679163-three-wonders-arcade-screenshot-a

20 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

While the controls can feel a bit sticky at times this might be my pick of the collection.

:o

As in Three Wonders or the actual full Arcade Stadium 2 collection? I played a few credits of this and found it easily the least engaging of the Three Wonders games (the shmup was decent but unexciting, I really like Don't Pull though!), maybe I should give it another go. I loathe the art style though which doesn't help.

On 24/07/2022 at 09:05, Unofficial Who said:

I'm not going to give a running commentary on all the Street Figher games here as it's a genre I didn't really get into (blame one button joysticks and my sad sad devotion to Ultimate Body Blows for that.)

But it's worth mentioning the first title Street Fighter, the game that started and almost killed the franchise.

I remember when this hit the arcade with it's large buttons. We're talking the one with the two huge fist sized buttons. One for punch and one for kick. The idea being the more force you hit the button the harder you hit in game.

Straight away this put anyone with poor or weak upper body strength out of contention. But for those strong enough to be a contender there were two additional problems.

Short term I saw some people injure themselves, either bruising their fists by hitting too hard or bruising their wrists by hitting the button off square and glancing along the edge.

Long term the machine was often out of order because of course it would be with kids pounding it like there was no tomorrow!

It's an odd looking Capcom game with the art looking almost Amiga like.

651969-street-fighter-arcade-screenshot-

Weirdly enough the Amiga version looked nowhere near as good.

79786-street-fighter-amiga-screenshot-ry

And then there was the C64 release where different versions were made in the US and UK. Not unheard of but weirdly enough US Gold released both on the same tape reportedly. 

320px-streetfighter_eu_c64.png

(UK version.)

320px-streetfighter_us_c64.png

(US version.)

All in all it was a bit of a mess and it would be years before Capcom came back with the follow up that became a genre defining title.

The reason for SF's shitty conversions can be summed up in one word. Tiertex. Kings of shitty conversions.

Tangents:

LED Storm on the C64, on the title screen you can move left/right on the joystick to adjust the filter setting.

Original Street Fighter on C64 - there are TWO versions. UK version by Tiertex tried to emulate large sprites by using the built-in expansion, creating LEGO Street Fighter (it’s very blocky). US version by Pacific Softworks/Capcom USA used overlaid sprites that are smaller, resulting in Tiny Street Fighter. 

2 hours ago, Yasawas said:

:o

As in Three Wonders or the actual full Arcade Stadium 2 collection? I played a few credits of this and found it easily the least engaging of the Three Wonders games (the shmup was decent but unexciting, I really like Don't Pull though!), maybe I should give it another go. I loathe the art style though which doesn't help.

Possibly the full collection. But I'll need to play through the rest. I love the art style but nostalgia plays a big part as does this being unconverted for a long time.

26 minutes ago, merman said:

Tangents:

Original Street Fighter on C64 - there are TWO versions. UK version by Tiertex tried to emulate large sprites by using the built-in expansion, creating LEGO Street Fighter (it’s very blocky). US version by Pacific Softworks/Capcom USA used overlaid sprites that are smaller, resulting in Tiny Street Fighter. 

There are TWO versions of this post. The UK version which is tiny but concise. And the much chunkier Australian version which has a bit more information and screenshots.

6 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Seems weird that they released a sequel. Would have been better having more games in the first pack instead of having to load a different core arcade set each time to just play a ROM.

At least it allowed them to add more features which they then backported into the previous collection.

Well for the first time ever I've spent some time with Chariot: Adventure Through The Sky the sequel to Midnight Wanderers and I think this is my new favourite. At the time I ignored it as the lesser game as I was a little weary of horizontal shooters having played my fill on the C64 and Amiga. I missed out because this is excellent.

679172-three-wonders-arcade-screenshot-e

It's your standard horizontal shooter but with the addition of a "tail" much like that in Saint Dragon or Dragon Breed which can be used to protect you. And that's it except that it's short so no stage outwears it's welcome. It looks amazing. And one of the bosses surely inspired Hilda Berg in Cuphead.

?imw=1024&imh=575&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

If you love horizontal shooters it's essential. It might not put up much of a challenge for R-Type veterans but it makes for a fun play. (The glider design also makes me wish there was a home version of the forgotten Prop Cycle.)

Don't Pull is the third game in the Three Wonders cabinet and was a name that my ex found incredibly funny to the point of doubling over with laughter when she first saw it. Needless to say back in the day I never selected it. Playing it now reveals a cute puzzle game involving crushing monsters with blocks only by pushing. That's right, you cannot pull.

679184-three-wonders-arcade-screenshot-n

This is...there's no other way of saying it, a shameless ripoff homage to Sega classic coin-op Pengo. So shameless that I can't believe they weren't sued.

670990-pengo-arcade-screenshot-the-maze-

Then again if they weren't sued back in 1984 for Pengo clone Pirate Ship Higemaru they probably thought it was safe enough to have another bite of the cherry.

693901-pirate-ship-higemaru-arcade-scree

There isn't much else to say. It's Pengo with a couple of twists with 16 stages to complete (completing all 16 will give you access to the professional levels.) It's a decent Pengo clone.

6 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

Well for the first time ever I've spent some time with Chariot: Adventure Through The Sky the sequel to Midnight Wanderers and I think this is my new favourite. At the time I ignored it as the lesser game as I was a little weary of horizontal shooters having played my fill on the C64 and Amiga. I missed out because this is excellent.

679172-three-wonders-arcade-screenshot-e

It's your standard horizontal shooter but with the addition of a "tail" much like that in Saint Dragon or Dragon Breed which can be used to protect you. And that's it except that it's short so no stage outwears it's welcome. It looks amazing. And one of the bosses surely inspired Hilda Berg in Cuphead.

1658504349_847_Capcom-Arcade-2nd-Stadium

?imw=1024&imh=575&ima=fit&impolicy=Lette

If you love horizontal shooters it's essential. It might not put up much of a challenge for R-Type veterans but it makes for a fun play. (The glider design also makes me wish there was a home version of the forgotten Prop Cycle.)

Oh my god imagine Propcycle VR.  It would be incredible.

23 hours ago, Lorfarius said:

Seems weird that they released a sequel. Would have been better having more games in the first pack instead of having to load a different core arcade set each time to just play a ROM.

I'd love for more DLC in order to play some of their licenced titles.

Like this.

654616-alien-vs-predator-arcade-screensh

And this.

656693-willow-arcade-screenshot-kill-the

Or this.

657503-cadillacs-and-dinosaurs-arcade-sc

This might have dated a bit.

714332-the-punisher-arcade-screenshot-br

Yeah, Punisher is in best-in-genre territory, imo. Mechanically technical and robust enough to maintain interest over repeat 1CC attempts, short and breezy enough never to outstay its welcome...

(AvP approaches DMC levels of mechanical depth and has a very musou-ish feel to its crowds/crowd control, encouraging you to style on the enemies with impressive combos, etc. It's almost infinitely repayable, and I probably would play it every day if it was as brief as The Punisher!)

There's also Dungeons and Dragons not being included (although it was for sale separately some time back.) To salve that wound we have The King of Dragons which feels like a prototype version of that. This one is prone to success by coin spamming and is really meant to provide a good time for three people rather than one person alone. That pixel art and palette though, you can see from this why Capcom ended up being so comfortable on the SNES.

933221-the-king-of-dragons-arcade-screen

10 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I'd love for more DLC in order to play some of their licenced titles.

Like this.

654616-alien-vs-predator-arcade-screensh

And this.

656693-willow-arcade-screenshot-kill-the

Or this.

657503-cadillacs-and-dinosaurs-arcade-sc

This might have dated a bit.

714332-the-punisher-arcade-screenshot-br

I feel like this could be quite plausible as these games would just be plugins so you could buy the licences for a very limited time and then sell them to become available/unavailable in the list. They could even have their own unique price to help cover the cost of the licence.

They have all the x-men / marvel games too. I wonder if they have enough for a 3rd collection.