Jump to content

Mario Golf Super Rush


djbhammer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Video Chums- 9/10
Wccftech- 9/10
ComicBook- 9/10
COGconnected- 9/10
Game Informer- 8.25/10
Nintendo Insider- 8/10
Nintendo News- 8/10
God is a Geek- 8/10
PCMag- 8/10
GameSpot- 7/10
SixthAxis- 7/10
Nintendo Life- 7/10
IGN- 6/10
GamesRadar- 5/10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Disappointing this is getting mediocre at best reviews, I was really looking forward to it, hoping it would scratch that Everybody's Golf itch. It is in the post as we speak so hopefully there will be something to enjoy in there. Ah well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Our own Chris Schilling very strongly dislikes it on Twitter. If he's doing the EDGE review expect a 3 or a 4.

 

I didn't realise there was so much focus on running around the golf course. I mean, I saw it in the trailers but assumed it was just some novelty silly extra mode and not really the meat of the adventure mode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t really get why the courses look so bland/normal. Surely the point of having a Mario licence on golf is that you get to smash golf balls around the mushroom kingdom, Bowsers Castle or isla del fino rather than something from Arnold Palmer.

 

I mean, imagine if Mario Kart launched and all the courses were realistic go karting tracks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, b00dles said:

Have you seen them all? Some look quite novelty from the trailers and there's stuff like new donk city on the way too. 


From the trailers I’ve seen what looks like your standard green golf course, a desert one and a Misty woodland one. I did see the new donk city dlc reveal but for the base game, nothing that screams Mario to me. What’re the others like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Strafe said:


From the trailers I’ve seen what looks like your standard green golf course, a desert one and a Misty woodland one. I did see the new donk city dlc reveal but for the base game, nothing that screams Mario to me. What’re the others like?

I don't know and my point was you don't either. 

 

It wouldn't surprise me if they are a bit dull as they were on the recent handheld one but we don't know yet for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I don't know and my point was you don't either. 


I suppose it’s possible they held back the really cool looking courses from the trailer and just showed everyone the plain ones, I guess.

 

I thought you had a better idea as you did just say you’d seen some novelty ones. I didn’t see those myself, what are they like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've not read any of the reviews yet, I just thought you were being a bit pre emptive @Strafe.

 

As said, it wouldn't surprise me if they are a bit dull and I feared as much in a very early post in this thread. It just read a bit definitive that the courses are boring when it isn't even out yet (and more have been confirmed to come for free dlc).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, b00dles said:

I've not read any of the reviews yet, I just thought you were being a bit pre emptive @Strafe.

 

As said, it wouldn't surprise me if they are a bit dull and I feared as much in a very early post in this thread. It just read a bit definitive that the courses are boring when it isn't even out yet (and more have been confirmed to come for free dlc).


I read the reviews. I don’t know if they’re boring, I didn’t say that and they play ok by the sounds of it. I said they looked bland for the licence. I would have liked to see more Mario themed settings in a Mario sports game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Strafe said:


I read the reviews. I don’t know if they’re boring, I didn’t say that and they play ok by the sounds of it. I said they looked bland for the licence. I would have liked to see more Mario themed settings in a Mario sports game.

OK. I was just saying that your post reads a little definitive given that you don't know if it's like Mario kart but only with standard kart tracks. 

 

I agree with the point but we don't actually know if that's the case yet as the courses aren't all available yet as it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChewMagma said:

Disappointing this is getting mediocre at best reviews

 

Is it? There are a fair few positive reviews out there already (and already listed in this thread) - or is 9/10 mediocre now?

 

EDIT: To be clear, I know the overall average is working out at 'mediocre' - but that does include a reasonable number of reviews above that - it's not mediocre reviews 'at best' or that average would be down a lot lower. At best, the reviews are 9/10 or 'recommended' etc.

 

EDIT: I dunno why I'm bothered though, it's not for me - absolutely no interest in it at all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Check out the mushroom kingdom madness in the 3DS one (which is great btw). Underwater, yoshi’s woolly world knitted scenery, giant goombas, Peaches castle.

 

Not sure why they use the actual Earth as the map for the locations of these courses.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:


Is there a difference in how they put score averages together?

Opencritic is a little more selective about what outlets contribute to the score, while the scoring is Afaik weighted equally rather than skewed by certain websites. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh and opencritic collates all platforms as one review - metacritic treats each platform as a separate game which causes weirdness like Scarlet Nexus, where the Xbox version has a much lower score than the PlayStation version, but only because few sites reviewed that version specifically, the game is identical. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Oh and opencritic collates all platforms as one review - metacritic treats each platform as a separate game which causes weirdness like Scarlet Nexus, where the Xbox version has a much lower score than the PlayStation version, but only because few sites reviewed that version specifically, the game is identical. 

 

Oh yeah, that's rather annoying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, rgraves said:

 

Is it? There are a fair few positive reviews out there already (and already listed in this thread) - or is 9/10 mediocre now?

 

EDIT: To be clear, I know the overall average is working out at 'mediocre' - but that does include a reasonable number of reviews above that - it's not mediocre reviews 'at best' or that average would be down a lot lower. At best, the reviews are 9/10 or 'recommended' etc.

 

EDIT: I dunno why I'm bothered though, it's not for me - absolutely no interest in it at all.

 

9/10 from *checks notes * Video Chums doesn't really count does it.

 

I'm heartened by a Eurogamer Recommended though.

 

Chris Schilling seemed genuinely furious about the quality of it on twitter though so who knows. "One of the worst Nintendo games of recent times" something like that. I'll find out myself tomorrow anyway!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.