Jump to content
IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD


Paulando
 Share

Recommended Posts

 

15 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

For anyone that has finished the story, once you finish the last dungeon , how long is it to the end of the game if you don't go do sidequests etc?

 

You can go straight there, I'd day an hour tops before the credits roll.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BabelRich said:

 

 

You can go straight there, I'd day an hour tops before the credits roll.

 

 

Thanks - i choose not to speed ahead and do the Sky Keep yet. I'll get the game finished on the weekend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished this today and enjoyed 90% of it. The collecting the songs bit was obviously crappy filler, but the rest of it was a joy and I agree with @Mallet, I think it looks great. I much prefer the art styles of WW, SS and BotW over the brown 'realism' of Twilight Princess

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah i ended up finishing it a couple weeks back. Really enjoyed the game - the dungeons where the best bits. It felt a little repetitive going back to the same areas but they changed a lot each between each dungeon. The faron woods music note collection was a pain though.

 

Not my favourite 3d zelda but i enjoyed the game a lot. Might go back to find some side missions i haven't done etc but i can't be bothered with the bugs and all that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started this today and played up to the entrance to the first dungeon. It looks and sounds lovely, the controls take a little getting used to, but it makes a good first impression. Let's see how it goes from here! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Darhkwing said:

Yeah i ended up finishing it a couple weeks back. Really enjoyed the game - the dungeons where the best bits. It felt a little repetitive going back to the same areas but they changed a lot each between each dungeon. The faron woods music note collection was a pain though.

 

Not my favourite 3d zelda but i enjoyed the game a lot. Might go back to find some side missions i haven't done etc but i can't be bothered with the bugs and all that.

 

The dungeons were really nice to get back to after the shrines of BotW, and they had some really nice designs. I though the re-use of areas would be a pain but as you say, it was mixed up enough and was a whole new dungeon. But note collecting in Faron, escort mission in Eldin and Cart escort mission in Lanayru were annoying.

 

The sound design was nice too. There were themes and riffs from a lot of the previous games in there, particularly Link to the Past and Ocarina. Given the setting of the game in the Zelda timeline it was really nicely done.

 

Also, with no spoilers, how the final boss played out in the cut scenes. No scenery chewing, quite a thoughtful set up for the Demon King that I thought felt nicely understated

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Vorgot said:

Also, with no spoilers, how the final boss played out in the cut scenes. No scenery chewing, quite a thoughtful set up for the Demon King that I thought felt nicely understated

 

I really enjoyed the boss fight, even though it took me way longer than it should have due to wonky motion controls. I really hope BOTW2 has some dungeons, if it returns with shrines again i'm sad to say i'm not sure i'd play it much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Paulando said:


They really do, but worth persevering with. I think I’d miss them if I went back to a regular 3D Zelda now!

 

They are worth sticking with. I didn't even use the button controls at all in the end, just used the motion ones. I gave up on the Wii one because of the camera and motion stuff but its a huge improvement in this version. It still can be a bit hit and miss, and cause some frustration, but works well overall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went straight into BOTW for the first time after I finished this.

 

Honestly, I much prefer the more linear, directed approach Skyward Sword and the traditional Zelda games have.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m about 20 hours into this, taking a very leisurely pace, which I think is perfect for Zelda. I’m not in a rush to finish, so I could definitely handle some pointless fetch quests without too much trouble. And hey, I might even get to play it on the OLED at this rate!

 

I think I’d love to have a different Zelda on the go all the time. Hope they release the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remakes on Switch soon, and I also hope Ocarina and Majora’s Mask aren’t confined to N64/3DS for all of eternity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

 

They are worth sticking with. I didn't even use the button controls at all in the end, just used the motion ones. I gave up on the Wii one because of the camera and motion stuff but its a huge improvement in this version. It still can be a bit hit and miss, and cause some frustration, but works well overall


Actually, I’ve gone for button-only play, as I mostly play in handheld mode. Felt odd at first, but you need to get used to the ‘lag’ when Link swipes (e.g. when you move the stick left, you need to wait for Link to move his sword from right to left), otherwise you end up waggling the stick like crazy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paulando said:


Actually, I’ve gone for button-only play, as I mostly play in handheld mode. Felt odd at first, but you need to get used to the ‘lag’ when Link swipes (e.g. when you move the stick left, you need to wait for Link to move his sword from right to left), otherwise you end up waggling the stick like crazy.

I did end up flailing about like a mad man at some points with the waggle controls, but as I got on with them I stuck with them. Good that button controls were an option and worked well then too

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Paulando said:


Actually, I’ve gone for button-only play, as I mostly play in handheld mode. Felt odd at first, but you need to get used to the ‘lag’ when Link swipes (e.g. when you move the stick left, you need to wait for Link to move his sword from right to left), otherwise you end up waggling the stick like crazy.

I'm doing button only for the same reason. Interesting you mention the 'lag' as I definitely don't have the hang of it yet. I will keep it in mind next time I have time to play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Sane said:

I'm doing button only for the same reason. Interesting you mention the 'lag' as I definitely don't have the hang of it yet. I will keep it in mind next time I have time to play. 


Yeah, it’s weird. Took it a while to click. I thought you had to do full left to right motions (for example), to swipe your sword right. But you just knock the stick to the right and wait a moment for Link to perform the full action. Once you figure this out it plays like a dream.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's "lag" with the motion controls too. In both the Switch and Wii versions. 

It's like it waits for a good sold motion then performs the animation. It feels like it's simply been assigned to a stick direction but keeps the inherent delay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been playing some more, I got used to the controls to the point where it all works fine. It's still a bit less comfortable than I'd like but it's the best they could do I guess. Anyway, more importantly this game is just lovely. I'd never played it before and alway discounted it because of its bad reputation but I struggle to see how it earned that. It's just everything I love in a zelda game. More so than BotW, although that's just personal preference for the more focused linear experience.

 

So this is a real treat, I wasn't expecting to play a full fat new zelda game this year at all. Thanks everyone for the positive vibes in this thread, I wouldn't have bought the game without it :hat:

 

Edit: added bonus is that it uses very little battery. I just played for about 1:30 hours and it took only 25% of my old non battery upgraded switch! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Sane said:

Been playing some more, I got used to the controls to the point where it all works fine. It's still a bit less comfortable than I'd like but it's the best they could do I guess. Anyway, more importantly this game is just lovely. I'd never played it before and alway discounted it because of its bad reputation but I struggle to see how it earned that. It's just everything I love in a zelda game. More so than BotW, although that's just personal preference for the more focused linear experience.

 

So this is a real treat, I wasn't expecting to play a full fat new zelda game this year at all. Thanks everyone for the positive vibes in this thread, I wouldn't have bought the game without it :hat:

 

Edit: added bonus is that it uses very little battery. I just played for about 1:30 hours and it took only 25% of my old non battery upgraded switch! 

I've had the same experience, mostly disregarding the camera and playing Wind Waker/Twilight Princess style with just using lock on to recenter the camera.

 

I think it's a really special game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a great game. 

 

The story was interesting, great characters, looks lovely, very good soundtrack, amazing dungeons with some great boss battles. 

 

A very solid 9/10 for me and something I fully intend to replay and 100%

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quick Q? 

 

If I'm using the Hori Split Pad, thus no Gyro, can you still play this game with motion controls off? 

 

I'm playing Mario Galaxy and there's specific levels I can't play as they use the Gyro (unless I'm missing something obvious in the options.) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

After the stunning start I find myself losing interest in the game now. I'm now in the third area (the desert with the time stones) and it looks absolutely terrible. I want to go back to the forest :lol:.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Despite my complaints I’ve been beavering away at this since release and am now at the volcano dungeon (the second trip to Eldin).
 

Just like last time through on Wii, I’ve gotten stuck at the puzzle where you have to extinguish a firewall by watering the frog face with a water droplet bud, but it’s too far away to reach from the opposite circular platform. I asked Fi for a hint and she suggests experimenting with the beetle and the gust bellows - but can I heck work out what to do with them. 
 

I had to look it up - did I miss the part where the game tuitorialises the ability required to do this puzzle? When every other interaction with the water buds causes them to fall to the ground, it never occurred to me that this was an option. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Popo said:

 

I had to look it up - did I miss the part where the game tuitorialises the ability required to do this puzzle? When every other interaction with the water buds causes them to fall to the ground, it never occurred to me that this was an option. 

 

Don't think it does but you use it for picking up bombs etc so I guess it's just something you naturally just try.

 

It's nice it doesn't hand hold everything. Maybe with fi on it does remind you though. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

 

Don't think it does but you use it for picking up bombs etc so I guess it's just something you naturally just try.

 

It's nice it doesn't hand hold everything. Maybe with fi on it does remind you though. 

 

Spoiler

You can pick up bombs by stabbing them with the sword?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

So I started this at long last having just completed Metroid Dread this week. First of all it looks much better than I expected from the videos I’d seen, the art atyle

suits the remaster well and it all moves silkily smoothly. 
 

Started out with motion controls and straight away having free movement of the camera is a game changer, to the point I was struggling a bit in handheld mode using buttons only, you just have so much more freedom with motion controls I’m finding. 
 

The game itself is a joy to play, nice and chilled and relaxed, and it’s great to be back in these dungeons again, they really are excellent. 
 

Is it me or is the first boss a lot easier now? Maybe it’s just the camera improvements but I remember struggling with him in the Wii version. 
 

Does any Amiibo work with the fast travel thing or is it the Zelda and Loftwing one only (which is currently fetching quite a high price ?)
 

The music is gorgeous too :wub:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.