IGNORED

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Paulando

18 minutes ago, Stanley said:

From memory I don’t think it used the sensor bar at all in the Wii version, and you could recalibrate/re-centre no matter what way you were facing. I’d play it pretty much side on laying on the settee. That being the case it shouldn’t impair the Switch’s motion controls, in fact it should be more refined now we’re on the third generation of Nintendo motion controls. 

It was supposed to use it to try and calibrate automatically for you, but it didn't work very well. Gyro drift is much less of a pain on the Switch than I remember it being on the Wii.

9 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

What we need for maximum 2011 rllmuk thread nostalgia is the trifecta of Moz, Napole0n and Joyrex to return and constantly dump on the game ad nauseam.

Don't Beetlejuice it, please.

One dungeon down and I'm having a great time with this. There's something about the pacing and beats of traditional Zelda which tickles some part of my brain and which makes me feel good after I put down the pad. I don't really enjoy MV type games but I can understand why a lot of people like them for similar reasons. There's something very comforting and engaging here, I feel switched on after I play rather than exhausted. 

These days, I feel like a lot of games know how to push buttons to keep you on the treadmill long past the fun, but this one reminds me of something a little more innocent. I don't even think it's a particularly amazing game or one of my favourite Zeldas but the design ethos feels like it wants to reward and surprise me, rather than drip-feed fleeting gratification. 

It's an approach I feel is often missing now, not only from AAA but gaming as a whole. 

The camera controls are poor - why do I need to hold the L button to move the camera? I wouldn’t mind, but the camera absolutely refuses to follow Link, and basically points in the same direction all the time. Gah.

It’s the best game I’ve ever played though 10 out of 10 goty.

Have got as far as the green tunic. Found it pretty dull so far, to be honest? Does it get better?

Using motion controls which seem ok aside from the loftwing race which was way too sensitive for my liking and fiddly.

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

Have got as far as the green tunic. Found it pretty dull so far, to be honest? Does it get better?

Using motion controls which seem ok aside from the loftwing race which was way too sensitive for my liking and fiddly.

If you like dungeons, yeah, it does.

7 hours ago, Strafe said:

Have got as far as the green tunic. Found it pretty dull so far, to be honest?

Reminds me of when my bro binned off HL2 because of "picking up cans bullshit."

Free camera, 60fps, HD and improved motion control makes a massive difference. The boy did Ghirahim first time…. First time round it took ages and I had to intervene and even then it took ages too of almost chucking the controller through the telly

27 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Free camera, 60fps, HD and improved motion control makes a massive difference. The boy did Ghirahim first time…. First time round it took ages and I had to intervene and even then it took ages too of almost chucking the controller through the telly

Yeah that was dead hard in the original - I swear I was just guessing when I beat him, I had no strategy whatsoever, less ‘waggle’ and more ‘flailing wildly and aimlessly’.

How frequently are people finding they are recentering the gyros? The drift that goes along with a bit of sword waving is considerable on both my sets of joycon. Far worse than I expected to be honest, I'm recalibrating them constantly. Only up to just before the Ghirahim fight though so maybe I'll get used to just doing it without thinking.  My experience was that the sensor bar did a magnificent job correcting anything on the Wii version with no noticeable wonkiness in all the hours I've played and replayed it. 

Hadn't really considered how nice it would be to have a free camera because I always thought the auto one was really well done in Wii Skyward Sword, but yeah it's ace to be able to do that. 60FPS is obviously massive and the faster text speed is great.  The motion controls are definitely more sensitive and twatting things away with a shield feels much better than on the nunchuck.

The music in this always amazes me. It's been 5 years since I last completed the game and this is the first time I've played it with quality speakers and surround sound so I'm appreciating that even more.

And I know the dungeons are generally well thought of, but even the first one has loads of quality in there. The least good one in the game. Getting THAT item and the way you fight the baddies. 

7 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

How frequently are people finding they are recentering the gyros? The drift that goes along with a bit of sword waving is considerable on both my sets of joycon. Far worse than I expected to be honest, I'm recalibrating them constantly. Only up to just before the Ghirahim fight though so maybe I'll get used to just doing it without thinking.  My experience was that the sensor bar did a magnificent job correcting anything on the Wii version with no noticeable wonkiness in all the hours I've played and replayed it. 

Hadn't really considered how nice it would be to have a free camera because I always thought the auto one was really well done in Wii Skyward Sword, but yeah it's ace to be able to do that. 60FPS is obviously massive and the faster text speed is great.  The motion controls are definitely more sensitive and twatting things away with a shield feels much better than on the nunchuck.

The music in this always amazes me. It's been 5 years since I last completed the game and this is the first time I've played it with quality speakers and surround sound so I'm appreciating that even more.

And I know the dungeons are generally well thought of, but even the first one has loads of quality in there. The least good one in the game. Getting THAT item and the way you fight the baddies. 

All the time ¬.¬ It's a pain in the arse when you have a shot lined up with the slingshot or beetle then all of a sudden it just scales off on its own. I feel I had less trouble with the Wii controls (maybe because I played that fairly recently so the controls are fresh in my mind). 

Second dungeon done and just arrived at Lanayru desert. Fair amount of flailing with the motion controls, particularly fighting Lizalfos, but they work well in general. I'm forever recalibrating but its just a tap of a button. Was struggling with flying until I realised you can flick up to gain height. Same with walking on ropes, I was twisting rather than turning left and right.

Really enjoying that to get into a dungeon, you have to do an area thats like an outdoor dungeon. Finding the key parts at the volcano was particularly satisfying. While I love BotW it really is nice to go back to a dungeon centric Zelda game. However, this does remain as the only Zelda game I didn't finish. I got past the toe boss fight last time and was back in the desert when I abandoned, but I think it was because of the camera and controls, so will be interesting to see how it goes when I get to there. I remember very little about the game but I remember very clearly where I gave up.

But anyone who loves Zelda games and didn't get on with this on the Wii, its worth a look. I am really enjoying it this time round where last time I felt I was perservering for the sake of it.

@Vorgot Quick tip with flying, you can also tap A to flap and gain height. I tend to have my nose permanently tipped down, flap for height and then leave it to accelerate, maybe throw in couple of boosts and then flap again when I drop to around halfway.

I should say that the controls have really clicked with me now with the Pro. Basic combat was a random waggle fest on the Wii but even Lizalfos are getting their arses kicked now. Lots more baiting and dodging and flipping and then strike fast. You do have to be pretty quick with your attacks, I've found, but it feels good every time.

Halfway through Lanayru now and I remember why it's one of only a couple of sections I remember well from a decade ago. Really imaginative and fun, only slightly taxing at times but scratches the itch very nicely. 

11 hours ago, Marlew said:

@Vorgot Quick tip with flying, you can also tap A to flap and gain height. I tend to have my nose permanently tipped down, flap for height and then leave it to accelerate, maybe throw in couple of boosts and then flap again when I drop to around halfway.

Thanks for that, will give it a go later.

Edit : Tapping A doesn't work in motion controls, but flicking up is pretty easy.

Just got through Lanayru desert to the mining facility and it was pretty fun. Not too taxing but fun to figure out. Having a blast with this

I gave up on the Wii version of this game due to struggling with the controls and I almost did this version too.

I am a great supporter of waggle and feel it often works very well indeed in many different games. But in this one? 

I must slice up to kill the enemy, slice up, up, UP! So frustrating. I found I was also recentering the controllers all the bloody time too, maybe I just shift around too much while I play.

Anyway, I gave up on the motion controls and what a massive relief that is. Now I can slice left/up or whatever whenever I want, my flying or other control doesn't go whipping off the screen as soon as it starts and I can start to really enjoy the game.

Anyone else getting frustrated, I highly recommend switching to standard controls.

I was going to use the Pro Controller for this, but having always available camera control got me to try the Joy-con method (the first time i've taken them off the docked Switch for quite some time) & now I can't go back.

For sure, it has the some of the same issues the Wii version had of not giving the exact Sword strike i wanted even though i'm sure I did the right motion, but being able to freely look around without having to hold a toggle is a convenience I just don't want to give up.

24 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Just out of curiosity is the functionality of the Amiibo that came out in the game in some other form? Is tapping the Amiibo just 'quicker' or does it actually not exist without the Amiibo?

From what i've heard reported so far, only the Zelda & Loftwing Amiibo does the fast travel in this game, & in other games it registers as just a Zelda Amiibo.  No other Amiibo (not even Zelda ones) works in SSHD.

i still find this baffling.  Why not give all Amiibo of Zelda herself (Smash, Toon, BOTW, etc) this function, thus ensuring that if you can't get (or don't want) the Zelda + Loftwing you still have a chance of already having (or an get) an Amiibo that can do it?

All it needs is a toggle for L to switch between camera and sword. It's a massive pain having to hold L constantly, the amount of times Link has drawn his sword when I'm just trying to look around is ridiculous. I hope it gets patched in.

The lock on range seems really short. I keep turning the camera 180 degrees instead.

Other than that and the constant gyro reset I've started to really enjoy it after the slow opening. Once you get to the ground there's some great stuff.

28 minutes ago, retroed said:

All it needs is a toggle for L to switch between camera and sword. It's a massive pain having to hold L constantly, the amount of times Link has drawn his sword when I'm just trying to look around is ridiculous. I hope it gets patched in.

Or have it so that the behaviour is reversed - hold L to make the right stick the sword.

The right stick to swing and then let go really quick to press A to jump is a faff too.

I don't really want to have to start mapping buttons to the Hori, because I want my muscle memory to transfer to playing on a proper pad. 

4 hours ago, retroed said:

Wouldn't be Skyward Sword without annoying control options debates!

6 hours ago, Jarik said:

From what i've heard reported so far, only the Zelda & Loftwing Amiibo does the fast travel in this game, & in other games it registers as just a Zelda Amiibo.  No other Amiibo (not even Zelda ones) works in SSHD.

i still find this baffling.  Why not give all Amiibo of Zelda herself (Smash, Toon, BOTW, etc) this function, thus ensuring that if you can't get (or don't want) the Zelda + Loftwing you still have a chance of already having (or an get) an Amiibo that can do it?

I was annoyed about this at first but there are bird statues everywhere which let you go back to the sky at any point, even multiple in a dungeon, so its not a huge deal. 

But it would have been nice for the older amiibo Zelda versions to support this. Or call me crazy, maybe the Link Skyward Sword Amiibo?