Nintendo Direct Wed 17th January (February)

34 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I got Ridge Racer 3DS the other week. It’s good but doesn’t quite have the same brilliance as the PSP ones.

I'm not sure any portable Ridge Racer will be able to top playing Type 4 through PS1 emulation on PSP/Vita

35 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I got Ridge Racer 3DS the other week. It’s good but doesn’t quite have the same brilliance as the PSP ones.

Keep playing! It’s right up there with the original, R4 and Rage imo.

2 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Still a bit perplexed at all the people insisting that Nintendo need to do something to mark the 35th anniversary of a couple of games. Since when is 35 a significant milestone? Maybe 25, 30, 40 or 50 are. What's 35? Halfway to 70? A third of 105?

They made a big deal out of Mario 35 last year, but it seems a bit like an arbitrary excuse really. I don't remember them making any sort of big occasion out of the 20th or 25th or 30th anniversaries of zelda,  or metroid, or even Mario (their number one main big guy).

It's exactly because they set that precedent with the Mario 35th stuff, it's not strange or entitled for people to think that they would also do something for Zelda. Since Zelda is the other huge classic Nintendo ip, and like Mario they have a bunch of Wii and Wii U entries lying around that they could remaster as minimalistic as possible and throw out there. Metroid is maybe more of a stretch because Nintendo of Japan give the impression that they don't really want anything to do with it. But again, they have three little work easy money remasters ready to go if they wanted.

Of course they're not obliged to do anything whatsoever and didn't actually promise anything. But it's not weird that a lot of people expected *something*

For those that say Mario Golf is looking dull, we only saw a couple of courses there and MG games always tend to have one or two normal looking course to start off before ramping up the silliness in later ones. So let’s wait and see on that issue. 

Also, from that presentation, we really don’t know if Skyward Sword is another 3D all stars job. They may well have changed some of the issues (constant Fi-ing, item pop ups etc.).

I’m not massively hopeful but we can’t say for certain until we know. The price certainly says it’s more than an up-rezzed ROM dump. 

/releases_straws

17 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Unless I missed the part of the direct where they said “this is everything you’re getting for 2021 you pricks”

He did, they just left it out of the subtitles. 

3 hours ago, Protocol Penguin said:

(This is another recent thread where I wish more forumites would accept that most of the games series we all grew up enjoying are dead and buried, and won’t be coming back.)

Never.

Whats sad is, there are plenty of arcade racers being released but none of the classics and the modern stuff doesn’t have the gameplay of the older stuff.

Its all loose handling and crap tracks.

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Hilariously late on Fall Guys though. THE KIDS have all moved on to the next big thing like 3 times since then

It's because Sony have a years exclusivity on it. 

1 hour ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

Hilariously late on Fall Guys though. THE KIDS have all moved on to the next big thing like 3 times since then

Good job they landed the Stubbs deal, then.

A mixed bag in the end. Splatoon 3 being a great reveal. But the rest was mediocre to say the least. How many more ports are there coming anyway...

And now it turns out they're still hiring people for the Splatoon 3 dev team (>>  https://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/project/kyoto_sec1.html#spl3#spl3 ). So 2022 seems unlikely, unless it will be more of a Splatoon 2 expansion pack, rather than a completely new game.

18 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

A mixed bag in the end. Splatoon 3 being a great reveal. But the rest was mediocre to say the least. How many more ports are there coming anyway...

And now it turns out they're still hiring people for the Splatoon 3 dev team (>>  https://www.nintendo.co.jp/jobs/project/kyoto_sec1.html#spl3#spl3 ). So 2022 seems unlikely, unless it will be more of a Splatoon 2 expansion pack, rather than a completely new game.

It’s a level designer job, so could be for post-launch content (same as with the first two games).

2 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

It’s annoying, as has its absence from XBox been too. Bloody exclusivity deals ruining fun. First party stuff is passable. Exclusivity periods on third party is simply a reason I dislike a company for the most part rather than make me want to buy their platform.

But having played for weeks on PC launch I’m well up for jumping in again on switch. As usual it’s just the format I want to play everything I can on.

47 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Keeping their powder dry for Metroid Prime 4: Amiibo Festival.

Please be careful with these statements. My mind can only take so much after Federation Force.

I think we can assume they would only bring back Federation Force if it was a GAAS free roaming adventure mode offering dozens of not hundreds of hours of loot-based gameplay after the introductory Metroid story is completed. 

Just now, Alex W. said:

I think we can assume they would only bring back Federation Force if it was a GAAS free roaming adventure mode offering dozens of not hundreds of hours of loot-based gameplay after the introductory Metroid story is completed. 

giphy.gif

That capcom arcade collection of 32 games is an absolute bargain (especially not having any of them be double dips on the Swithc due to not purchasing any of their previous compilations that included some of the games)

Not really interested in Skyward Sword, but Mario Golf looks great as do the 'triangle tactics?' and 'conviction' rpg games