Game-breaking items, weapons and moves

Pob

Another one for Mortal Kombat. I can confirm it worked on Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in the arcade.

- pick Smoke

- During a fight, jump backwards

- While jumping backwards, tap a kick button (I believe it was High kick)

- This would trigger the opponent to always do a ranged/projectile attack leaving them open

- While still in the air from the jump, teleport (from memory, press forward twice + a button)

- Guaranteed hit op opponent you could follow up with a combo

Rinse repeat. UMK3 had this "pick a reward for defeating the last boss" and if you chose to fight a Noob Saibot (I think) and win you'd receive a free credit. I had many, many hours on UMK3 for 1 credit.

I remember in the original Dead Rising there was an especially irritating boss fight where the boss was going around on a motorbike in a corridor swinging a sword iirc. I found a little exploit where if you stood on a specific part of the scaffolding in the environment the boss would freak out, could never hit you, and you could just attack away to your heart's content. That game almost seemed to expect you to find such methods. 

How about skyrims crafting/alchemy? You could quaff a potion, then make a necklace to give you better enchanting, then enchant some gear to give you better alchemy, etc etc etc. 

Thought I was so smart when I figured this out.  Then shortly after stopped playing because I'd made myself so overpowered. 

2 hours ago, robdood said:

How about skyrims crafting/alchemy? You could quaff a potion, then make a necklace to give you better enchanting, then enchant some gear to give you better alchemy, etc etc etc. 

Thought I was so smart when I figured this out.  Then shortly after stopped playing because I'd made myself so overpowered. 

Now that you mention it, Oblivion and Morrowind was just as, if not even more daft.

Make your own spells? Sure, I'll just make something that gives me barter 100 for exactly 2 seconds so I can get into a dialogue with the shopkeeper, and sell these shit Fortify Damage potions for double what they're worth. Or, uh, do the same but with invisibility so I can just clean out the shopkeeper and his entire stock anyway.

That house you had in the slums of the Imperial City was pretty much an Aladdin's cave of whatever was in the city after clearing it out!

EDIT: and while I'm thinking about that, another one came to mind:

Jury Rigging in Fallout: New Vegas. Find a bunch of shit guns like the .357 Magnum, slap them against an okay gun like the .44 and the 10mm Pistol, and chuck that at a vendor for seven times the price. NCR Armour? repair that shit with some clothes. Find a broken auto shotgun? That's alright, just find some sawn-offs down the road. And then when you have enough caps, go to the Dino Dee-Lite, buy everything in the shop and then win your money back in one single hand of Caravan. 

Absolutely disgusting!

There's also the scrolls of Icarian flight that you basically can't miss at the start of Morrowind. Theoretically you can then just jump over half the game world right to where the last boss is if you know where to go. Killing him when you're at the level where it takes you ten minutes to kill a sewer rat is another matter though I guess!

I think it was FIFA 96 on the Megadrive where my brother and I discovered a spot you would always score from. Game breaking against the computer, and meant every match against each other would have a ridiculous double digit final score (probably the case in most football games though!).

I replayed Final Fantasy 8 recently and the draw magic/magic junctioning system makes the game laughably easy. By the end of disc one I had everyone's Atk set at the maximum of 225 and just held X through pretty much every battle. I hardly ever actually cast spells and didn't die once in my entire playthrough.

Another one is playing as Donkey Kong in Super Smash Bros Ultimate. His down + special attack ground slapping AOE move was enough to let me 100% complete the single-player campaign. I imagine in an online match you'd get punished for it very quickly, but the computer-controlled AI just couldn't deal with it and it racked up damage like nobody's business.

300px-Donkey_Kong_Down_B_SSBU.gif

The collector's edition of the first inFamous came with a unique baton, there's no similar weapon found in the game. Was ridiculous overpowered, most if not all all non-bosses would die in 1 melee hit. It was simpler and safer the beat fools with a baton that using your electricity powers. Much later the baton was released as free dlc.

2 hours ago, MrPogo said:

I think it was FIFA 96 on the Megadrive where my brother and I discovered a spot you would always score from. Game breaking against the computer, and meant every match against each other would have a ridiculous double digit final score (probably the case in most football games though!).

Of the era, absolutely. Virtually every game had some guaranteed goalscoring method against a limited AI. 

Not so much nowadays but there can still be overpowered moves or strings of moves to do the same.

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Those bastard duel wielded shotguns in CoD MW2. Hated them with a passion. Skill-less game breaking pieces of shit. 

Man, reading this reminded me of the 'USAS with frag rounds' days in Battlefield 3.

The explosive splash damage of a rocket launcher with the firing rate of an automatic shotgun and the range of a modest sniper rifle, what could possibly go wrong? I finally caved when I realised I was in a game where I was the one player out of 24 who wasn't using that combo but they finally got around to patching it not long afterwards.

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I replayed Final Fantasy 8 recently and the draw magic/magic junctioning system makes the game laughably easy. By the end of disc one I had everyone's Atk set at the maximum of 225 and just held X through pretty much every battle. I hardly ever actually cast spells and didn't die once in my entire playthrough.

Adding onto this: Refine Mods and Card Mod.

Don't even want to Draw magic? Trade in the low-tier fish and t-rex cards for Water Crystals and Dino Bones, and then trade those in for stacks of Water and Quake magic.

Junction them to Strength and HP. congratulations, you've done enough to get through Disk 1 and most of Disk 2 by playing cards with the kid running around Balamb Garden that you met in the first three explorable fields of the game.

Oh, pre order bonuses. That reminds me:

If you pre ordered Gran Turismo 5, you got six "stealth" cars as a bonus. These were better versions of some already good race cars, including a more powerful version of the Mazda 787B, which is always the best non Formula 1 car in the game. You couldn't quite complete the game with those six cars, but not far off. 

On 15/02/2021 at 16:23, Rsdio said:

There's also the scrolls of Icarian flight that you basically can't miss at the start of Morrowind. Theoretically you can then just jump over half the game world right to where the last boss is if you know where to go. Killing him when you're at the level where it takes you ten minutes to kill a sewer rat is another matter though I guess!

I vaguely remember breaking Morrowind so much that it was no fun to play any more. I think I enchanted 4 rings with 25% levitation each so that I could fly, and another 4 things with 25% speedup so that I could fly super fast. I was Superman. Great fun for a while, but it totally broke the game. Then Oblivion came out and they nerfed the number of enchanted items you could wear... though I still remember being able to go 100% invisible which made dungeons trivial.