LFG - Who is interested in a new Rllmuk 5e D&D campaign

I'm looking at creating a Human Sorcerer unless anyone has any objections or had that in mind themselves?

@Clipper Do you have any preference for how we should generate our Ability Scores (or any other aspect of Character Creation?)

Use any standard method you like - use a standard set or do exchange method or roll 4d6 and remove the lowest dice for each stat.

If you use dice rolling method and end up with modifiers that are more than 2 less than using the standard set I allow you to choose to use standard set even if you rolled - that is your choice as some people like to play it as it lands.

regarding dice rolling for character creation happy to trust you all to roll outside of roll20 for this.

21 hours ago, Spatial said:

With my n00bness I'm thinking of something like a Cleric (so not just a full on fighter but a bit magic'y and a support function) and I'm tempted by Knowledge Domain but depends on if the scenario lends itself to something more investigation / lore based.

If not I may go something more like Light.

Cleric is a great class and all the Domains are good. I played a cleric in Clippers Tomb of Annihilation campaign.

Clerics are good all rounders and good at supporting the rest of the party. 

Mechanically cleric domains fall into two categories: those that get heavy armour, martial weapons and extra melee damage and those that get medium armour and increased cantrip spell damage. 

You cannot really go wrong with the domains, I think. Look at the domains that you are interested in thematically from Roleplaying perspective (I wanted to be a dwarf so chose Forge domain - seemed obvious).  Then think about the bonus spells and the channel divinity ability. 

Knowledge is considered a good domain. You get extra skills and divination spells. Light domain gives you more blaster spells doing radiant and fire damage. Both are medium armour and so not melee focused but can if needed. 

2 hours ago, Welrain said:

I think I’m going to keeping simple...to the rule books!

The absolute simplest character you can play is a fighter. A Champion fighter is the mechanically simplest. And isn’t terrible either, they are actually pretty good. A totem barbarian is also pretty simple as it has very limited choices of what to do (rage or not; reckless attack or not). Then battle master fighter, which is also a very effective class. 

I hope people don’t mind me interfering and making suggestions, I love D&D and I love talking about D&D. 

4 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Cleric is a great class and all the Domains are good. I played a cleric in Clippers Tomb of Annihilation campaign.

Clerics are good all rounders and good at supporting the rest of the party. 

Mechanically cleric domains fall into two categories: those that get heavy armour, martial weapons and extra melee damage and those that get medium armour and increased cantrip spell damage. 

You cannot really go wrong with the domains, I think. Look at the domains that you are interested in thematically from Roleplaying perspective (I wanted to be a dwarf so chose Forge domain - seemed obvious).  Then think about the bonus spells and the channel divinity ability. 

Knowledge is considered a good domain. You get extra skills and divination spells. Light domain gives you more blaster spells doing radiant and fire damage. Both are medium armour and so not melee focused but can if needed. 

Helpful stuff thank you, especially the reassurance on the domains. I'd done a bit of Youtube skimming yesterday and gotten a bit lost in `this Cleric domain is S rank, but this one is just a crappy D rank` nonsense.

Knowledge got a bashing, but there was also plenty of people elsewhere saying how much they love it. I guess that's the thing - it's horses for courses and if you've created your character and know what you're trying to achieve with it, then it's hard to go truly wrong (in my case, someone who likes to poke around, but also wants to be able to smash something in the head if it gets too close).

6 minutes ago, Spatial said:

Helpful stuff thank you, especially the reassurance on the domains. I'd done a bit of Youtube skimming yesterday and gotten a bit lost in `this Cleric domain is S rank, but this one is just a crappy D rank` nonsense.

Knowledge got a bashing, but there was also plenty of people elsewhere saying how much they love it. I guess that's the thing - it's horses for courses and if you've created your character and know what you're trying to achieve with it, then it's hard to go truly wrong (in my case, someone who likes to poke around, but also wants to be able to smash something in the head if it gets too close).

Feel free to completely ignore it as I am not convinced that sort of thing is ever helpful. I played a face to face game a few years ago and I'd specced a cleric and was told to my face by another player  that I hadn't distributed my attribute scores to the best advantage and that I wasn't armouring myself correctly. I told them quite simply that my character was weaker in certain aspects due to the character and that was that.

Build and play a character you like and want to play it doesn't matter at all how strong or weak they are, weaknesses are great fun to play! I understand you don;t want to feel like a useless character but I'm not convinced it is possible to build one that is truly useless and I've tried! :D

I believe that there is a type of D&D group/game where it IS about maximising everything and honing the game mechanics perfectly... that isn't the type of game I usually go for :D

1 hour ago, Clipper said:

I believe that there is a type of D&D group/game where it IS about maximising everything and honing the game mechanics perfectly... that isn't the type of game I usually go for :D

That’s so good to hear :-)

7 hours ago, Spatial said:

Ignore that stuff. It’s a holdover from past editions, primarily from 3e, where gaming the mechanics was a whole game in itself. 5e is quite similar to 3e (more so than 4e) but is way more balanced. 

3e had lots of ways to make super-powerful characters usually by multiclassing and some builds were less effective than others, and there were some so called trap options. At high levels spell casters were much much better than melee characters. 

5e has something called bounded accuracy and some other mechanics to stop that sort of stuff. In 5e multiclassing can be a bad option in many cases and bounded accuracy has bonuses capped to stop them stacking.  Concentration and attunement mean you cannot stack spells and magic items. Advantage and disadvantage replaces lots of high bonuses. 

It’s all really good and means that there aren’t much differences in power. It also means there aren’t really any bad options either. 

So play what seems fun and don’t worry too much about it. 

Knowledge got a bashing, but there was also plenty of people elsewhere saying how much they love it.

One of the reasons for split opinions like this is because there aren’t the amazing and terrible options that there were in prior editions. 

I guess that's the thing - it's horses for courses and if you've created your character and know what you're trying to achieve with it, then it's hard to go truly wrong (in my case, someone who likes to poke around, but also wants to be able to smash something in the head if it gets too close).

Yep. Go with what seems interesting for you and you cannot really go wrong. 5e is a really great version of the game and I have been playing on and off for longer than I care to remember. 

Hello all @bridger @Seamonster@Welrain@Benny@Ry@Graham S@Spatial

I will be sending out invites for discord and Roll20 in next couple of days ready for our session 0 on Friday at 730

I have character sheets from some of you can the rest let me know where they stand and send through to me if possible. If you need more guidance and help with putting the sheet together we can do that on friday session but can you all have the basics of what you have so far before then please?

If it goes well I might even start the campaign with a gentle introduction at the end of the session 0 :D

@bridger@Seamonster@Spatial@Welrain@Benny@Graham S@Ry

In Roll20 your character will have a token that you move about the map etc. I am not artistic so I tend to find whatever free token I can find that vaguely fits the character class and race :D

@MDY from our other campaign is way more dedicated and artistic and he has produced a few tokens for the Sunday campaign and he has offered to assist with tokens for your characters if you wish. You can message him with a picture you like or a token that needs a tidy up or just your character and class/rough idea and he will find/construct something suitable if you like. Obviously if you want to produce your own token that is fine - if you want to see what I come up with as I trawl roll20 and google that is also fine  this is a purely optional offer :D

I don't have a preference on either overhead view of character or the coin style of token...

(random googled examples!)

image.png.b28c821ecc7f145e0adfca233e746f6c.png

image.png.fff6ec26b5bcb4f5a17728f5c8166e3f.png

On 24/02/2021 at 13:47, Clipper said:

@MDY from our other campaign is way more dedicated and artistic and he has produced a few tokens for the Sunday campaign and he has offered to assist with tokens for your characters if you wish. You can message him with a picture you like or a token that needs a tidy up or just your character and class/rough idea and he will find/construct something suitable if you like. Obviously if you want to produce your own token that is fine - if you want to see what I come up with as I trawl roll20 and google that is also fine this is a purely optional offer :D

That's overstating my ability slightly.. :blush: - I've edited some existing tokens to make them more appropriate to the character..

What I have been using recently is a custom 3d miniature designer: Heroforge to do new versions of the characters from the Sunday night campaign.. If you're subscribed, it lets you output nice clean versions of the designs that can be used for portraits, counters or top down versions which look nice in Roll20 etc.. plus it can be more immersive to have a nice portrayal of your character..

1892976315_4charsroundV2.thumb.png.0dfc10f1dbaed63819f165f259d495cf.png

Gazes At Weasels (Tabaxi, Fighter) - Breek (Aarakocra, Ranger) - Olly (Half-Elf, Rogue) - Sir Rango (Human, Paladin)

566106545_3charsround.thumb.png.21cc1dc3d689ef6c0df548eb52aebeb4.png

Hob (Halfling, Monk) - Tyron (Human, Fighter) - Vigil (Warforged, Druid)

1784462382_4charsmini.thumb.png.97b8350a1c9b9bfd5ced6de2c1ff74a0.png

256795901_3charsmini.thumb.png.fbc30d449056186f7b98f9be2ee46def.png

I'm quite happy to make any of you something like these if you like, the software basically lets you choose body types, dimensions, clothing, armour, weapons and various other items from a catalogue of hundreds of options, assign colours/materials - but they don't take ~that~ long to do..

So feel free to drop me a PM and while there are limits to what it can produce, hopefully I can come up with something not too far from what you have in mind..  :D

Just now, Ry said:

Have to bow out. Not had the time to look into the rules and really busy at the moment with other thing. Sorry!

as offered to Benny, if you wish, you can join later in the adventure if you are struggling to join right now but whatever you want to do is fine :)

Just now, Clipper said:

as offered to Benny, if you wish, you can join later in the adventure if you are struggling to join right now but whatever you want to do is fine :)

Im just scared i would hold everyone back as i have no clue what to do. The idea appeals to me but having to actually learn everything will be overwhelming, and im a bit overwhelmed right now with other things :(

2 minutes ago, Ry said:

Im just scared i would hold everyone back as i have no clue what to do. The idea appeals to me but having to actually learn everything will be overwhelming, and im a bit overwhelmed right now with other things :(

that is fine but we all started somewhere so it is absolutely no issue to have a newbie on board at all. If you want to give it some time before you try to join that is fine as i say but you don't need to worry about holding anyone back

45 minutes ago, Ry said:

For what it's worth you sound like you're in the same boat as me, so you wouldn't be the only one if you can make it. Embrace the n00bness!