What is the 'punk' of video games?

What is the most 'punk' video game?

Does 'punk' even mean anything in relation to games? 

I'm going to suggest The Binding Of Isaac having given this around twenty seconds' thought.

Independent, amateurish presentation, it devalues itself deliberately to find a heightened sense of identity. It recaptures the spirit of earlier games with a fleeting reverence and completely dismantles them in the process. Isaac has no self-respect and encourages you to break both the game itself and the player's experience with its chaotic systems.

It is impolite, unpolished, pure fuck off brilliance of a game.

What do you think? Please share your suggestions in this Guardian Sunday supplement for cunts thread. 

3 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Would Jeff Minters work be considered punk? His titles definitely aren’t mainstream although he seems like more of a hippy to be fair. 

He's the nearest example, the difficulty of making games compared to banging out some punk makes a straight comparison a problem.

Hates twin stick shooters. Hates roguelites.

Loves the Binding of Isaac remake.

You're the punk of videogames. You set yourself rules only to break them.

I think BOI is a good shout.

The way the original co-opted those meme facial expression things that were popular at the time (you know, the rap singers?), and incorporated it into the rough and ready freehand art.

I'd always roll my eyes at that sort of thing, like the devs were trying to be down with the kids, but it felt real here, like they were actually part of that culture and not just pretending.

I ran in to someone from the local scene trying to trade in his PS2 at an indie games store in Leeds once and they told him it was too manky to accept.

That's as punk as games have ever got for me.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/889500/Punk_AF/

header.jpg

banner_description.png

Hmmm, calling yourself "punk as fuck" might be an automatic disqualification, but, (though I'd have to check with Alanis, our irony correspondent) calling yourself punk as fuck ironically, would ironically make you punk as fuck.

Surely there can be nothing more punk than disrespecting the punk subculture.

Putting a big dollop of inertia in your movement controls out of pure spite. Smash the system, yeah?

I actually felt like Wii was the true ‘punk’ when you look at the trajectory of music and videogames - punk was a reaction to prog rock and institutionalised musicianship, and Wii was a reaction to the “hardcore gamer” era brought about by monolithic corporate entities such as Microsoft, Sony & EA - it was a slap in the face to the power hungry tech brigade and the ever increasing costs of “AAA” games. 

7 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I actually felt like Wii was the true ‘punk’ when you look at the trajectory of music and videogames - punk was a reaction to prog rock and institutionalised musicianship, and Wii was a reaction to the “hardcore gamer” era brought about by monolithic corporate entities such as Microsoft, Sony & EA - it was a slap in the face to the power hungry tech brigade and the ever increasing costs of “AAA” games. 

I think it's disqualified simply by virtue of it being one of if not the highest selling gaming devices ever created.

1 hour ago, Ry said:

The ZX Spectrum days is the only viable option. 

Look at the shit bedroom coders we're putting out there. 

I think of those days more like skiffle - the first time that kids realised you could do this shit yourself with cheap, sometimes self-built kit.

Then you have an explosion of gear come along, a whole bunch of external influences from abroad, and the era of the successful groups houses comes along (the late 80s).

The 70s it becomes all bloated and corporate, with pub rock chugging along in the background. Then punk, an art-school movement comes along to remind everyone that anyone can be brilliant.

I'd argue that we're sorta around there now, maybe post-punk new wave.

The big thing about punk wasn't the groups - it was the indie distribution network it inspired, e.g. the one centred around Rough Trade.

36 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I actually felt like Wii was the true ‘punk’

I'd argue that the most important aspect of the punk movement was the "do it yourself" ethos. The prole art threat. The realisation that anyone could make raw, powerful art without any sort of degree or qualification or music ability, and without censorship.

A multi million yen company like Nintendo making a family console, nah that ain't punk.

It's indie games, innit? That's the boring answer.

I'm going to suggest Deadly Premonition having given this around twenty seconds' thought.

Independent, amateurish presentation, it devalues itself deliberately to find a heightened sense of identity. It recaptures the spirit of similar games with a fleeting reverence and completely dismantles them in the process. Frances York Morgan  encourages you to break both the game itself and the player's experience with its chaotic systems.

It is impolite, unpolished, pure fuck off brilliance of a game.

To qualify as punk it would have to be completely independent, non commercial and not made for profit. A bit impossible in an industry that exists to make lots of coin.

Maybe some of the games being developed for the Playdate would qualify.