Valheim - strangely compelling Viking survival game

artz

After building and kitting out my second house next to a patch of Black Forest before checking if the forest was more than 100 metres long (it wasn't), I finally found a proper forest and just finished doing a recce all over it (RIP to the trolls I'm now wearing).

valheim_kCPQoyRuer.thumb.png.a95d2f9e4d3cc437b4b238f152ba15a1.png

If I hop on a boat with bronze gear which looks like it's going to take me hours to craft, is that it, am I just fucked? I'm playing in such a risk-averse way I haven't died yet in 12 hours, the closest I came was a pair of skeleton archers in a burial chamber getting me down to 1hp while I was trying to zig-zag my way down the corridor away from them :ph34r:

You will die :)  I'm end game and I just got killed by a grey dwarf :/  Id forgotton to eat, opened my castle gate and the grey dwarf was standing right in front of me. Obviously unconcerned I attacked expectingt a 1 hit kill. Oh no im punching it, Id forgotton to activate my weapons. No worries I'll batter it, ohahh it appears I'm dead! At least i didn't have far to run. 

Motivation is waning a bit, I really want to finish my base, but It really needs a rebuild from the ground up. But I'm not sure I have it in me to start over. 

I also managed to craft the Frost Hammer last night too. After my latest Iron run, I'd collected enough gold and jewels to buy the head torch, fishing rod and enough Ymir skis from the trader which you need to make the hammer.

image.thumb.png.ddb41a1f5716d467c772f0c868e9ac5d.png 

The meadow biome is the real danger in this game. Yeah, something might kill me in the other biomes, but meadow will offer up a hill with amazing views, flanked by standing stones, which absolutely must be built on. So 23 hours in I've only taken down one boss but have built myself up from nothing to bronze crafting twice (with a bit of help via a portal from the new The Oasthouse back to Excalibur Cottage).

Spoiler

valheim_bV4VUkfG7W.thumb.jpg.d9efb219a9317555c0efe6952e5b73e6.jpg

valheim_JbJhlpnK5l.thumb.jpg.637b02db59e4b265ded0f8e39e5db3f6.jpg

valheim_CxuMIQtz8A.thumb.jpg.d2a71eb14d38faf5c51e5a7fd06dec3f.jpg

Does anyone else keep a portal shack-building go bag chest by their front door? I'll be taking this to visit the next boss tomorrow.

valheim_CRqkkHpFO9.thumb.jpg.073bc80725aaef03590705253a8e24ae.jpg

We did the fourth boss this evening. It was fun. And today I finally got my first house in a workable state. It's taken me so long to finish it as every task ends up with me getting distracted by something else. 

For example today I wanted to take the portal to the mountain, to get some obsidian, to make arrows, to fight the aforementioned boss. I head to the mountain and get attacked, but I can't fight back as I've got not even got any basic arrows. So I pop home and am need of a bit of wood. I head out into the forrest and to cut a long story short, three hours later I've built a pig farm and have trapped several boar. 

Still genuinely loving every moment of this. 

I was getting help from my blue buddy here to mine some copper ore and, well... he fell in.

valheim_0NPo4NNS2u.thumb.jpg.d1e2bf4cb02c17b7f3b285e1863c2ed5.jpg

valheim_fpirm4WdiU.thumb.jpg.cd5bf617e9910944f8b355c687b4b698.jpg

My first foray into the swamp was absolutely terrifying, including night falling without me having any light source on hand, leading to getting lost and panicking in the water, trying to find the path to get back out the way I came. Those archers are lethal, I was one hit from death a couple of times, hiding while waiting for my regen to kick in. Still... sausages.

The patch of swamp I found is close to a nice big chunk of meadow on an island which is otherwise entirely black forest, and I've just accidentally spent the last 6 hours completely absorbed in setting up there, maxing out my setup as high as it can currently go and preparing resources to take the swamp on again. I haven't lost myself so completely in a game since Breath of the Wild.

Our main base is so fucked right now. Apparently if you change the terrain loads it lags like fuck because it loads in the original biome before making the alterations. We made trnches and everything around the main walls and it's fucked it.

This is seriously annoying because my house is at the main base and I'm unwilling to abandon it cause of all the work I've put into it. However most of the other houses are now abandoned and people are using the other communal bases we've got. 

Maybe I'll just build a new house somewhere and transfer all my stuff out of it.

16 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Our main base is so fucked right now. Apparently if you change the terrain loads it lags like fuck because it loads in the original biome before making the alterations. We made trnches and everything around the main walls and it's fucked it.

This is seriously annoying because my house is at the main base and I'm unwilling to abandon it cause of all the work I've put into it. However most of the other houses are now abandoned and people are using the other communal bases we've got. 

Maybe I'll just build a new house somewhere and transfer all my stuff out of it.

Im sure I read there is a mod that adds the ability to return modified terrain to its original level.

35 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Our main base is so fucked right now. Apparently if you change the terrain loads it lags like fuck because it loads in the original biome before making the alterations.

That’s interesting. Assume this is a function of it being generated from a random seed, and the world state voxel modifications can’t be ‘pre-applied’ to the seed.

Is this also how Minecraft and No Man’s Sky do it?

In love with this game it's just a real nice relaxed feel, about 10 hours in not done the 1st boss yet.

Just love gathering and building little dwellings while exploring a little further afield.

27 minutes ago, Padaxes said:

Im sure I read there is a mod that adds the ability to return modified terrain to its original level.

To be honest I think what I'm going to do is stick it out till we finish the last boss off and then go and make a palace on a water front somewhere ready for when the updates and new bosses arrive.

13 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Have they said anything about resetting progress with major content updates as other EA games have done?

Judging by the way they have set things up I am guessing that we shouldnt have to server wipe.  At least that is their intention i think.

I honestly think this is the most chilled and immersive game I’ve played in years.

Died in the far corner of a burial chamber earlier after being cornered by a 2-star skelly and a couple of ghosts, had all my best gear with me and a load of surtling cores.

And I’m fine just going back to basics to start afresh with a stick and some undies. Spent a while just hunting and foraging and crafting and upgrading the basics. Will go back tomorrow to see if I can make it back to my underground headstone and see if the skellies are wearing my leather pants.

What an insanely addictive early game this has. Not sure I’m that bothered about fighting the other bosses at all. Happy just hunting and exploring and a bit of building.

Yeah, the two guys I share a village with went a bit nuts with progressing, and looking stuff up, and I've now done all the bosses. 

I'd lost interest, thinking I'd seen it all, but one day decided to just go for a long sail and explore, and ended up finding new stuff!

Padaxes and Raane play on my server, plus another couple of groups. I think the perfect way to play it, for me and what I like, would be if there was no shout option. So like you just explore, come across other groups, trade and swap knowledge etc in local chat. Once people start aiming for max progress and sharing stuff in global chat, it ruins the immersion for me. 

On 22/02/2021 at 12:08, catinthehat said:

About to start this with a group of friends.  Private server, no knowledge, and no Google allowed.  Super hyped.

Still playing this religiously.  And still not googling anything.  It's so good.  We started making a CASTLE the other day.  A god-damned motherfucking CASTLE.

Only skimming this thread for fear of spoilers.  We've killed the first two bosses, but are in no hurry to kill the third.

What a game.  My group of friends and I are entirely hooked.

Picked this up a week ago, and I'm enjoying it a lot, although it's a bit clunky in places (not enjoying the minecraft-style endless faffing about with chests and inventory management).

I've done the first boss and just at the stage where I can start smelting tin and copper to make bronze.  Been battered by a troll once already, and now there's a troll hanging around outside my base, who keeps wandering near and smashing my fences.  I end up running away like a mardy pants, hoping it will despawn at some point.

One question - I keep seeing pics and videos of people's fantastic bases, like little towns or castles.  How can you build areas so big?  I'm limited to a fairly small radius around my workbench.  Does this radius increase later, or is there some other trick?