Valheim - strangely compelling Viking survival game

2 hours ago, Scruff said:

Is anyone hosting a dedicated, or their own world as a RLLMUK thing? I'm pretty much playing solo and while it is perfectly fine, I much prefer playing with others.

I did wonder the same thing. 

I'm only a few hours in and no-where near as progressive as the rest of you. 

I am pretty interested in playing some co-op if anyone sets one of those up!

That's superb!

I hope it means that there will be loads of support going forward and even more things added to it. 

I've been watching lots and lots of videos of it on Twitch recently, and it goes to show how popular it is. I love playing it i just seem to be getting on a lot slower than everyone else that's playing it and i think that's just because i'm solo.

I know we all keep saying it but it really is just a great game. 

We are going pretty fast, but there is nothing wrong with playing this slow. Just enjoy it, its got such a relaxing vibe when you are just meandering around collecting raspberries and checking if the bees are happy. 

8 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

That's superb!

I hope it means that there will be loads of support going forward and even more things added to it. 

I've been watching lots and lots of videos of it on Twitch recently, and it goes to show how popular it is. I love playing it i just seem to be getting on a lot slower than everyone else that's playing it and i think that's just because i'm solo.

I know we all keep saying it but it really is just a great game. 

They are going to be increasing the game by 150% apparently. I don't even know what that means in real terms but I'm excited.

For me this game is all about discovering shit for yourself so I've not been posting as much as I want to about it but holy shit. I'm so happy for them that they have sold so many copies because this game is definitely deserving of it. 

I just hope they add a way to deconstruct items because we went out and did a thing last night and ended up having to expand Der Kraftenhaus because we have 41 full chests.

The one thing I will recommend to anyone starting out is make sure you have three different types of food on you at all times and be careful at night because when it's cold, your stamina and health regen is borked unless you are near a fire and it gets worse if you are in an area that is also wet. 

9 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

The one thing I will recommend to anyone starting out is make sure you have three different types of food on you at all times and be careful at night because when it's cold, your stamina and health regen is borked unless you are near a fire and it gets worse if you are in an area that is also wet. 

Jam, honey and mushrooms. The food of kings; VI-kings that is ;)

10 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

just hope they add a way to deconstruct items because we went out and did a thing last night and ended up having to expand Der Kraftenhaus because we have 41 full chests.

Can you not just chuck em in a lake or something? Or is there anything like a Minecraft where you can create a lava bin to throw items into that you don't want?

At the point i am at, i have just discovered and been working with flint and just crafted a spear.

I still cannot find my third source of food outside Mushrooms & Berries. 

At this point i do wonder if to reset my world and start again knowing what i know now to push towards a better future with it. 

1 hour ago, Scruff said:

Jam, honey and mushrooms. The food of kings; VI-kings that is ;)

I’ve turned into Winnie the Pooh when it comes to collecting honey. Definitely well useful

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Can you not just chuck em in a lake or something? Or is there anything like a Minecraft where you can create a lava bin to throw items into that you don't want?

Nope, everything sticks around and even worse (or better in some cases) you can get a bug where floor loot ends up getting duped on ground. 

13 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

At the point i am at, i have just discovered and been working with flint and just crafted a spear.

I still cannot find my third source of food outside Mushrooms & Berries. 

At this point i do wonder if to reset my world and start again knowing what i know now to push towards a better future with it. 

not spoiling but unless your character is a vegan, there are plenty about if you are looking for a third

36 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

I’ve turned into Winnie the Pooh when it comes to collecting honey. Definitely well useful

Nope, everything sticks around and even worse (or better in some cases) you can get a bug where floor loot ends up getting duped on ground. 

not spoiling but unless your character is a vegan, there are plenty about if you are looking for a third

Haha, no but i can't get a Deer yet even with the spear and all the Lizards and Boars drop are Trophies and Leather. 

5 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Haha, no but i can't get a Deer yet even with the spear and all the Lizards and Boars drop are Trophies and Leather. 

Lizards drop Neck Tails which you can cook, and boars drop raw meat.

1 minute ago, Padaxes said:

Lizards drop Neck Tails which you can cook, and boars drop raw meat.

See I've read that, but it's not happened for me yet,  i knew cooking was a thing hence the station you put over the fire. I don't know if i am just unlucky or just having a shit time with this world.

8 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I will happily join your instance and Robin Hood to death all your wildlife, leaving you with enough meat to make Dr Atkins sick of the sight of it.

Just now, Scruff said:

I will happily join your instance and Robin Hood to death all your wildlife, leaving you with enough meat to make Dr Atkins sick of the sight of it.

I'd be more than grateful for that. I will get you added to steam, and we can arrange that if you wouldn't mind please?

1 minute ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I'd be more than grateful for that. I will get you added to steam, and we can arrange that if you wouldn't mind please?

Absolutely. If you're struggling for anything I can bring some stuff over for you too.

Here's my friend code for people who want to add me. 

Spoiler

So i've made some good progress this evening.

I now have a bow, arrows and have just sorted out an area for my eventual animal pens.

I ventured a little further on the map, but the Raven told me that i was entering "The Blackwoods" or something to that effect and i was going to struggle so i went home and will head that way again when i have got some better gear. 

Edited by Arn Ironjaw

This game has confirmed that the genre is not for me. I can see why it's doing so well, but I guess I just prefer my videogame gratification to be a bit more directed and immediate. No matter how streamlined, this still feels like work to me and I can't be bothered.

Glad I bought it though. It's nice to feel part of an underdog success story.

44 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Here's my friend code for people who want to add me. 

Hide contents

So i've made some good progress this evening.

I now have a bow, arrows and have just sorted out an area for my eventual animal pens.

I ventured a little further on the map, but the Raven told me that i was entering "The Blackwoods" or something to that effect and i was going to struggle so i went home and will head that way again when i have got some better gear. 

I think I have over 20 meat and around 20 leather skins for you from about 10 mins deer hunting (no Russian roulette was played). With the sneaky buff from full troll armour the poor deers were completely oblivious until getting pinged in the head by an arrow.

I've not tried it yet, but in the early builds of factorio the only way to destroy items was to put them in a chest and then destroy the chest. I keep meaning to try this in valheim, but that might let you get rid of the junk.

If anyone is just starting out on this with a relatively new character but would prefer to play with others, you're welcome to join the dedicated server I set up last night with @Scruffand @Arn Ironjaw. Valheim is limited to 10 players per server though so space is limited.

PM me if you'd like to join.

This game keeps on giving. It's hard to talk about it without spoilers though. I am trying to play without looking anything up online - except some of the amazing bases people have made! 

The base building is VERY satisfying in this that is for sure. 

I had great fun yesterday with the guys, the game certainly feels better as a multiplayer game. 

Even scaled for the three of us i still felt i could contribute to the game and not just as a meatshield.

I do second what people had said previously that you cannot really talk about the game without spoiling it in some way. 

3 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

I had great fun yesterday with the guys, the game certainly feels better as a multiplayer game. 

Even scaled for the three of us i still felt i could contribute to the game and not just as a meatshield.

I do second what people had said previously that you cannot really talk about the game without spoiling it in some way. 

T'was good fun. The next milestone is to get you out on one of Sie's patented Death Rafts, to get your sea legs :D 

Oh, and close any doors quickly after yourself in teh base. I've bred some pigs! But when I log out they sometimes escape their pen and go tearing around the (now) walled in base.

Built my first little hovel with fire, bed and chimney. Got some flint and killed some ‘necks’, and explored what felt like miles, and it was two pixels on the world map. :lol:

All very relaxing, and a weird mix of ugly-pretty.

The teenagers in my house are playing this, so far they approve but I await the inevitable physical fisticuffs when one raids the others settlement. And then I'll put them both in the stocks in the garden.

On 18/02/2021 at 10:04, Sie said:

If anyone is just starting out on this with a relatively new character but would prefer to play with others, you're welcome to join the dedicated server I set up last night with @Scruffand @Arn Ironjaw. Valheim is limited to 10 players per server though so space is limited.

PM me if you'd like to join.

have pmed