Playstation Exclusives- what have I missed out on?

13 Sentinels is on sale for £25 digitally at the moment. Just picked it up, the disc version has basically never dropped below £40 since it came out and goes in and out of stock quite a lot as the print-run is probably tiny.

3 hours ago, Marlew said:

Sorry about the tier list, guys. I'd love to say it was just my opinion but these were officially published by Sony.

Ooooh, you're like the Garry Bushell of gaming punditry with these hand grenade opinions.
"Last time I checked it was a fweeeeee caaaantwee"

I remember fat Rab being all over that 13 sentinels when he was reviewing his new telly.

8 hours ago, chris on the moon said:

Just in case anyone was using this thread as a reference for playstation exclusives, here's a quick list of games that are mentioned in this thread, but aren't playstation exclusive games -

Journey
rez infinite
horizon zero dawn
Flower
DariusBurst Chronicle Saviours
Nex Machina
street fighter V
Death stranding
everybody's gone to the rapture
Detroit
Nioh, Nioh2

I mean yeah you can get them on PC, but it’s a bit like someone asking what Xbox games they should catch up on from last gen and replying with “none”.

Not really helpful in the context of the thread is it?

My PC is a laptop I bought for work. The only gaming that happens on it is board game prototyping- if it's not on Xbox or Switch it's PS exclusive for my concerns.

edit- these are my current must plays so far, *= on PS now:

13 Sentinels

Shibuya Scramble

The Last Guardian

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Detroit*

Bloodborne*

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture*

Until Dawn*

And then maybe some of the others mentioned if there's nothing on the Series S after I've done all that lot.

53 minutes ago, ImmaculateClump said:

You're incorrigible.
Rank the aleste collection games in the shmup thread when you get a chance. I want to see how wrong you are about that an' all.

Sounds like I need to bring back the Revolutionary Ranking System.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I mean yeah you can get them on PC, but it’s a bit like someone asking what Xbox games they should catch up on from last gen and replying with “none”.

Not really helpful in the context of the thread is it?

I think its pretty helpful for people like me who also don't own a ps4 and came into the thread wondering if there was anything they missed too.

Its a thread about PlayStation exclusives, so looks to me like that's the most reasonable criteria.

I think it would be pretty weird to assume that the op has only ever owned a ps2 and an xbox s and no other consoles in his life, or to assume that he definitely has a switch, or to assume that he definitely wouldn't have a pc.

Just now, chris on the moon said:

I think its pretty helpful for people like me who also don't own a ps4 and came into the thread wondering if there was anything they missed too.

Its a thread about PlayStation exclusives, so looks to me like that's the most reasonable criteria.

I think it would be pretty weird to assume that the op has only ever owned a ps2 and an xbox s and no other consoles in his life, or to assume that he definitely has a switch, or to assume that he definitely wouldn't have a pc.

That's fair enough.

18 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

Oh come on, they are console exclusives. They’re absolutely worth mentioning in this thread rather than assume someone has a beefy PC. 

Again, by your criteria there are no exclusives to recommend if someone asked the same about Xbox which is ridiculous.

20 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

I just went off exactly what he said in the OP.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2021 at 19:43, Sarlaccfood said:

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim seems to be up there if you’re into that sort of thing.

Just finished, this was an excellent suggestion and absolutely my sort of thing. Thanks to everyone who suggested it.

The PS4 catalogue has been amazing. I'm (literally) 99% through Horizon Zero Dawn after thinking I'd be a bit 'meh' about it, but I've been surprised by yet another Sony exclusive gem.

For me the following all sit comfortably in a 'must play' list for the platform:

Bloodborne

Spider-Man

God of War

Horizon Zero Dawn

GT Sport

The Last Guardian

Shadow of the Colossus Remastered

Journey

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

I've also got Death Stranding, Ghost of Tsushima, Until Dawn, Days Gone and Last of Us Part 2 sat in my draw still to play too so that list could well get longer over the next few months.

Ultimately I'm a paid up Game Pass subscriber as well and while I actually played and enjoyed a lot of things on that during 2020 (probably by volume more than my PS), pretty much none of it can hold a candle to the titles above as top-tier gaming. The Sony quality was a league above last gen.

• 3 weeks later...

Two more absolute bangers completed: Bloodborne and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. Bloodborne is a classic From masterpiece, and whilst there are some QoL changes I'd make, it's an absolute must play. I'd also challenge anybody to find a game with as much optional content as this- it highlights the confidence of the designers to make the critical path relatively short, knowing players will eagerly seek out everything else.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has aged the most, but I can't not love a choral apocalyptic Archers. Edith Finch has shown how to more imaginatively incorporate big narratives with gameplay, and the openness and slow walking speed were completely opposed to each other. Not as compulsory as the other two, but a lovely small game all the same.

• 3 weeks later...

Until Dawn and Detroit: Become Human also done. Both have obvious similarities, but despite their flaws I'm really glad I played them. Detroit especially has got me in the mood for a hardboiled detective and his robot buddy solving crimes together, just with less of the awkward racism analogues. Also whilst it was really interesting to see how both games used a branching flowchart system, Detroit's was considerably more advanced then I expected. Again, even if they're not exactly masterpieces, they were easily enjoyable and interesting experiences, and well worth playing. Especially considering they're both on PSNow.

Not many games left on my list now (Soma has been added, as that's also on PSNow), but I was wondering if people have suggestions for online co-op games on the PS4? Went through Bloodborne with my brother, and looking for a similar experience outside of the Soulsborne games.