The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

2 minutes ago, Treble said:

I can feel the midlanders raging from here, getting the range of accents lumped into one :lol:

Midlander - there can be only one.

Spoiler

Madripoor looked great from a distance. Shame they ended up fighting in a standard container port. 

As with WandaVision I think they struggle a bit with pacing. Perfectly enjoyable episode but even though lots happened I actually enjoyed the first two a bit more. It’s like, “it’s the third episode - we need to crank it up a notch and start doing the things we need to do quickly”. 

3 minutes ago, scottcr said:

I’m finding it really hard to understand wtf is going on... just people appearing at various places and stuff happening.

I do think they needed scenes from the movies in the "Previously on..." section. I had no recollection of Baron Zemo at all, literally didn't remember the character in the slightest, which kind of derailed the episode a little. It's been a couple of years since I saw Civil War but there's so much to keep track of in the MCU that I'm not surprised I'd forgotten him. I'd have been the same with Sharon Carter too had I not watched Winter Soldier more recently.

11 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

I do think they needed scenes from the movies in the "Previously on..." section. I had no recollection of Baron Zemo at all, literally didn't remember the character in the slightest, which kind of derailed the episode a little. It's been a couple of years since I saw Civil War but there's so much to keep track of in the MCU that I'm not surprised I'd forgotten him. I'd have been the same with Sharon Carter too had I not watched Winter Soldier more recently.

I’ve watched all the films now over the years but had no idea who those two characters were... :( 

my son also got bored during that episode which is not a Good Thing.

I’m the same to be honest. It’s just not engaging me at all and I’m often finding myself reaching for my phone. It feels like they’re doing a lot of stuff but I’m not really sure why they’re doing it, which probably isn’t helped by my mind wandering all the time.

I’ll stick it out because it’s only 6 episodes, but after WandaVision it’s a bit of a let down.

48 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Zemo is literally the big bad baddy from Civil War and the puppet master behind the whole thing...

I hardly remember 5 minutes ago, so I remember nothing from 5 years ago!

8 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Zemo is literally the big bad baddy from Civil War and the puppet master behind the whole thing...

Yeah, but in that movie he's generally off on his own, doing his own thing to manipulate the heroes from afar, instead of directly confronting them with big flamboyant "bwa-ha-ha I'm gonna kill you!" speeches like most other baddies.

He's the MCU's most subdued villain, very quiet compared to all the other stuff going on in Civil War. So I don't blame people for forgotting him!

I thought the Wallowing Wolf was bad in this but Super Solider Tracy Beaker is getting right on my nerves.

What is it with this show that makes all the characters really annoying. 

I'm not expecting miracles since you could write the predicted plot on the back of a postage stamp, but it's just plain bad, the only reason i'm putting myself through it is on the hope that this will someday somewhere tie-in to something to make it worth my time.

Oh god, what i wouldn't give for this to be a Wanda or Agatha induced dream. 

Maybe Wallowing Wolf will wake up at his little pity party campfire, and it's all a dream....

Edited by Arn X Treme

Personally I quite enjoyed this week’s episode.  The writing and the dialogue can be a lot better but I appreciate what they are doing with the characters at least and the action is decent.  The post blip world they are describing is interesting, depending on how much of it we see in future shows and movies.  Far from Home certainly didn’t touch on any of it.

30 minutes ago, SonOfSoAngry said:

Regarding this episode’s final sequence:

Hide contents

Guys, I think we should maybe stop bullying John Walker.

I did have a good chuckle to that!

And not just at the product placement for that scene either. 

Was expecting a little end credits thing this week in light of that but nothing again. 

The Black Widow film better be half decent to compensate a bit, because the MCU really feels like it’s going off the boil. I’ll be generous and put it down to the studio not having a proper grasp on how to write the characters and setting into a mini-series format, but I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t disappointing more than the Netflix MCU-adjacent series ever did.

11 minutes ago, Protocol Penguin said:

I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t disappointing more than the Netflix MCU-adjacent series ever did.

Didn’t one series of Netflix’s The Punisher open with an episode featuring nothing but Frank Castle fostering a tender love affair with a milfy barmaid for fifty minutes? I think I’d have to go some to find something more disappointing than that.

Personally, I wonder how much impact the pandemic had on the finished product because there are certainly moments where it feels like they have to go with the take they had, rather than redoing it.

Did we ever find out what Bartoc The Leaper wanted with GI Joe at the beginning?

Was there a meaty plot point or was it just some chance to show off some cgi? Was it just to introduce us to Redwing Jr and lead us into the tea party Flag Smasher reveal?

I really don't want to have to watch the episode again so if someone can help me out that would be great. 

So far it seems like it was just some Team America bullshit. Sam is good soldier who does good murders because the silly foreign people can’t possibly run their own country without special American people helping. Sam speaks their language and they thank him on the street because he is a good American doing good murders. There’s been no further point to it or examination of the blatant hypocrisy of having that scene in this story so far. Carly is bad because she does bad murders to “innocent” white people who were just trying to do their jobs of withholding vital supplies, she’s gone too far and Sam needs to give her a good talking to about how she really needs to join a giant murder corporation if she wants to do some murdering. 

It all feels all a bit dull to me, and the whole "oh they might make more super soldiers" so what? As we saw a couple of episodes back, super soldiers aren't all that great. That one guy pushed over a telephone pole to slow down some cars and then got riddled with bullets. None of it really feels like it warrants Sam and Bucky getting involved, much less busting Zemo out of prison.

I can't help thinking just leaving it to the police would be a better idea? Then if they want to arrest some people they'll turn up with body armor and a whole lot of guns, which'll probably work much better than relying on punching people and hoping for the best.