The Falcon and The Winter Soldier - on Disney+ from 19 March

I thought we were all meant to assume that New Cap was on the serum from the minute he was introduced. I'm pretty sure that Sam and Bucky even have a meaningful "Are you saying...?" conversation about it although I might be misremembering. If it's still meant to be a surprise twist in a couple of episodes they've gone about it with all the subtlety of the Agatha All Along song.

I didn't understand how the bar man new Smiling Tiger well enough to remember his usual drink but not well enough to realise it was a completely different person?

Also how did Zemo get the security key?

5 hours ago, Alex W. said:

I thought we were all meant to assume that New Cap was on the serum from the minute he was introduced. I'm pretty sure that Sam and Bucky even have a meaningful "Are you saying...?" conversation about it although I might be misremembering. If it's still meant to be a surprise twist in a couple of episodes they've gone about it with all the subtlety of the Agatha All Along song.

Spoiler

I assumed he wasn’t because of the ease with which he had his arse kicked on top of the lorry.

I remember that dialogue but must have missed the book exchange.

Bucky could have stolen the card before but that implies he knew he would need to break out zemo. 

You see him open the book and it has fb be key in it. It all seems to be rushed to be honest. I rewound it a few times to figure out what was going on at a few places for this episode. It’s probably the most rushed and packed episode of anything ever. 

15 hours ago, Alex W. said:

That would explain how he got smacked off a truck on to a moving car and suffered no internal injuries or anything because of that. 

Right, it's not like they were making the show and they forgot that Steve Rogers' powers come from the magic sauce and the Vitalite rays, and aren't some special property of the shield he carries or something.

...right?

I don’t remember if there was a specific line where they reference the fact that he’s just a man (one at peak physical fitness who is also a celebrated soldier), but at the very least -

Spoiler

The whole plot revolves around the creation and discovery of new serum, once thought impossible, and the implications of there being more people like Steve in the world. If the new Cap has had some right from the beginning, the implication is the US had the ability to make more people like Steve all along, the show would be completely undermining itself. 

I don’t think he’s enhanced - otherwise he wouldn’t have lost so easily in the truck fight. Sam also gets knocked about into vehicles and stuff, and he’s just a man. 

After a strong start I thought that this third episode was rubbish. Whereas the last two weeks we've had interesting topics to discuss around race, how a black super solider in the 50s was mistreated and why someone like Sam doesn't have any money despite saving the world, this was a camp Bond-esque farce. Eps 1 and 2 felt reasonably grounded, following on from The Winter Soldier and Civil War, and had some proper character development, but that was all seemingly jettisoned this week. It was very jarring going from reality to some made-up Cyberpunk-style city state populated entirely by pirates and assassins. Zemo and Sharon Carter may as well be different characters to their movie versions. Daniel Bruhl was fun to watch, though, and the John Walker scenes were just as good as last week's.

Also, I do currently have a bunged-up left ear, but is anyone else finding it really hard to pick out the dialogue? I might have to put subs on next week.

Also, it had that uncanny valley-type effect I get from The Mandalorian where it comes across as both mega-budget and TV-like at the same time. I think we're at the point where VFX has advanced to the stage of making locations, CGI and stunt-work feel very realistic on a TV-budget but it's clearly not reaching movie quality in other areas e.g bit-part actors. That Brummie woman felt totally incongruous, for example.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Zemo and Sharon Carter may as well be different characters to their movie versions.

I thought with Zemo it made sense, his civil war version only really interacted with a few people and was often in a position of power, aside from when he talked to Black Panther, so with him being in a situation where the dynamics were completely different I could see him acting differently.

Sharon is totally different, but the movie version was incredibly boring so I’m not that bothered.

I'm fairly sure that Sharon .... speculation within, not an actual spoiler based on anything I know...

Spoiler

will turn out to be undercover CIA, trying to get to the Power Broker and his Super Serum.

There's no way Marvel is doing a heel turn and making her a villian. She might end up looking like one for most of the series but I expect Sam's "you gotta let her come home" plea to reveal "come home? she never really left." type thing.

I do agree that it went a bit Torchwood this week even though I enjoyed it. Generic Shipping Container Yard fights are never any good.

23 minutes ago, Broker said:

I thought with Zemo it made sense, his civil war version only really interacted with a few people and was often in a position of power, aside from when he talked to Black Panther, so with him being in a situation where the dynamics were completely different I could see him acting differently.

Sharon is totally different, but the movie version was incredibly boring so I’m not that bothered.

Yeah I think they could've got away with it if it wasn't combined with Sharon and the whole crazy comic-book setting. He perhaps could've done with a little toning down to fit the mood of the show but there's no doubt that he's now fun character played by a great actor.

I also think they shouldn't have made him out to be some Hannibal Lecter super-criminal in a maximum security cell given how quickly and easily Bucky needed to break him out! He's just a regular guy in Civil War.

4 hours ago, Pob said:

Also, it had that uncanny valley-type effect I get from The Mandalorian where it comes across as both mega-budget and TV-like at the same time. I think we're at the point where VFX has advanced to the stage of making locations, CGI and stunt-work feel very realistic on a TV-budget but it's clearly not reaching movie quality in other areas e.g bit-part actors. That Brummie woman felt totally incongruous, for example.

I get what you are saying. 

The brummie woman felt like a passerby that had somehow walked into set and pretended to be the right person.

I think "Brummie woman" is great, in fact I commented to my wife how nice it is to have a British character in an American show with a normal, recognisable accent, rather than generic London, posh/RP or some weird mangled attempt at "regional" (c.f. Daphne (and her family!) from Frasier).