IGNORED

Super Mario World - Original Samples for the OST found and now all being restored !

MikeBeaver

On 06/02/2021 at 12:26, freezycold said:

I wonder if there's an uncompressed version of the F Zero X soundtrack floating around out there?

Closest you'll get to that is the stereo versions from the DD version. Maybe the gigaleak will drop something on F-zero soon. Let's hope.

Oh and search out the guitar arrange version of the F-zero X soundtrack. It's amazing.

On 06/02/2021 at 13:31, DeDeDe said:

I think this is overstating it a bit. Composers in those days were very well aware that the final product was going to be the compressed soundtrack, and (as far as I’ve read) most of them did the sound programming themselves. So I imagine that they were pragmatic about the whole thing.

It's more than that. These are not "restored" tracks, some mythical true recording that existing and was how the composer wanted it to sound.

Composers will have chosen samples based on how they sounded after the SNES compressed them. The compositions themselves are blended together to sound good when run through the SNES - warts and all. The compositions are a product of the limitations. The original, true versions are the sounds coming out of the old sound trip. 

That doesn't make these uninteresting, or stop several sounding awesome. But I think they are being sold as something they are not. Had composers no limitation on same quality at the time, the tunes would be different. 

I am not disputing they are the original samples. I am disputing they are "the original sound of the tracks". 

The tracks were composed to be played on the SNES. Do people think Koji Kondo composed the Super Mario World soundtrack without listening to what sounds the SNES actually produced and adjusting until he was happy with it? 

On 12/02/2021 at 00:32, kensei said:

It's more than that. These are not "restored" tracks, some mythical true recording that existing and was how the composer wanted it to sound.

Composers will have chosen samples based on how they sounded after the SNES compressed them. The compositions themselves are blended together to sound good when run through the SNES - warts and all. The compositions are a product of the limitations. The original, true versions are the sounds coming out of the old sound trip. 

That doesn't make these uninteresting, or stop several sounding awesome. But I think they are being sold as something they are not. Had composers no limitation on same quality at the time, the tunes would be different. 

Well said. I think the biggest improvement for these tracks is hearing all the channels at once without layers of sound fx getting in the way!

• 4 weeks later...

Interest talk. Mentions the SNES remasters. They also talk about using Fourier mathematics to model the sounds produced by the various versions of the Megadrive to help preserve the different sound signatures. Maybe leading to having the option to choose which model you'd like to hear as you play. 

The Fourier stuff could also lead to audio filters that sound like the pre-amp and speaker inside various arcade cabinets. 

I'd love a filter for MAME that gave Street Fighter 2 that boomy sound that the arcade had at my local swimming pool back in the day.