Whats the best ever leak, or forbidden home release?

dumpster

Inspired by the Goldeneye XBLA thread, many of us are playing the unreleased holy grail of an improved version of the N64 classic, by the same developers.  You have to wonder who leaked it, but I'm sure whoever it was has our gratitude.

I had a lot of fun with the leaked arcade code of Time Crisis 5 and was amazed to see how it runs on my rubbish old PC.

So what's the best, "Oh my god, someone stuck this on the internet and it's made my day!" moment other than Goldeneye?

Just now, Isaac said:

The Mario 64 PC port is by far the best version of Mario 64 available.

It's significantly better than the All Stars release.

Just on with that on 3DS at the moment, it's soo good, and like you say, not emulated so much as properly rewritten. Puts the official one to shame.

On a similar note although not strictly a leak, AM2R is so much better than Samus Returns which came later. 

3 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Half-Life 2 was a pretty massive leak but probably not the best for most people concerned. 

Reminds me of Half Life on Dreamcast, and Propellor Arena too.

Ah yes, I remember downloading that Halo 2 French leak. FTP connection to modded Xbox, man that was a great unit.

I really should hook that up again, have/had a ton of emus and roms installed on it.

33 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Half-Life 2 was a pretty massive leak but probably not the best for most people concerned. 

Yeah totally I remember at the time thinking it looked ahead of anything else out there. 

Was there no Doom 3 leak, stolen at E3 from the AMD booth or whatever? I remember downloading that also, my poor rubbish PC played it at 1 frame per 5 seconds.

Yep. PS1, later had the engine repurposed for Wu Tang: Shaolin Style.

The Doom 3 leak was an alpha, I think. I remember failing to get it to run many times. 

I think there was an uncensored Manhunt 2 for the Wii as well. Or someone uncensored it with a config edit.

21 minutes ago, df0 said:

Thrill Kill?

edit: in case it is, there's a video that explains what happened.

Hah yes, that’s it! Pure garbage.

That’s a great video though, cheers!

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

I had a copy of that fighting game they banned because it was S&M themed or something, was it PS2 or Dreamcast? Anyway all I remember is it was garbage.

I think Wu-Tang: Taste the Pain was a Thrill Kill re-skin.

For me it's the fan translation of Valkyria Chronicles 3 on PSP (and to a slightly lesser extent, Yakuza Black Panther released this year). A brilliant instalment in one of my favourite series, finally getting to play it thanks to years of hard work from the translation team was so exciting. It didn't disappoint.

16 hours ago, dumpster said:

On a similar note although not strictly a leak, AM2R is so much better than Samus Returns which came later. 

In the same vein of 'released but immediately DMCA'd so kind of a leak these days' - Streets of Rage Remake. Absolutely masterful game in how it pieced all the good things about SoR together.

In terms of actual leaks - there was a recent release of two prototype Atomiswave games, Force Five and Kenju.

Thing was, Kenju was always sort of a holy grail in terms of my gaming experiences - a good decade or two ago when the Trocadero arcade was still more than a broom cupboard (and, uh, open), I came across Kenju, threw a couple of quid into it, thought it was neat and moved on. I never realised at the time that I was playing a prototype of a canned game.

Eventually, it ended up in the hands of some collector who didn't want to dump the code. And then someone who did found their own copy, and now it's in my computer.

It's actually kind of ass. But it exists, instead of being some wild fever dream I had when I was younger, and that's all that matters.

The press review copy of The Red Star on the original xbox was amazing. Me and a uni mate spent some good times trying to beat it in coop. The game was finished but not released, then Acclaim went under. 

It did eventually get a PS2 release some years later. 

As mentioned above, Halo 2 was leaked a few weeks before launch. I downloaded that to try the first couple of levels.

For me, the best leak was Sega accidentally leaking the code for Daytona 3. Being able to play a fairly recent arcade game on my pc, with force feedback and no emulator was fantastic!

18 hours ago, df0 said:

Thrill Kill?

edit: in case it is, there's a video that explains what happened.

That reminds me of how much fun Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks was. I miss Midway, they produced some of my favourite games of the PS3/360 era.