IGNORED

Loop Hero - Your New Obsession

Sabreman

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

I need to find some youtube basics guide for this, I do a couple of loops then quit out with a weak health bar but not really got a clue what the environment stuff I'm placing is doing

I can't even work out the menu to get back to the main screen so relying on the switch sleep state to preserve things !

Place rocks and mountains together and once you get a 3x3 of them, it will create a mountain peak and give a big bonus. You can only make one peak so I’m not sure what you can do with the rest of the mountains and rocks, but I still stack them up.

Don’t put down meadows till you have a treasury, then place meadows surrounding it and they will turn into blooming meadows and give more resources.

That’s about all I’ve learned about the non-road cards. Anyone who can correct me on what to do with them, gratefully received!

I’ve unlocked the second class now and bought a few upgrade buildings. Still sticking with the warrior class though for now.

I’ve gotten far enough that I can comfortably get to the boss but I still haven’t triggered it, I just back out. I still haven’t died yet, somehow.

I played this until I was so powerful I was making up my own challenges to keep the thing fresh - trying to skip bosses and the like. Loved it, but ran out of things to do. However, I've forgotten most of that stuff. I'll try to dredge up some tips though.

I think you have to unlock rivers, but when you do, you want to get one that almost wraps around your entire map, because it doubles the effectiveness of any tiles next to it. 

All of my strategies come from having rivers, but some tips will apply without too. The main thing I'd do is go for a 3x3 mountain in one corner, then build up along the edge of the map with a 2-wide strip of mountains, then I'd leave a gap to the side for my river to run up, and then the next column inwards would be forests. That way when the river gets built all the tiles on either side get doubled. So if I put the mountain in the bottom right the map would look like this (where Os are mountains, dashes are river, and Xs are forests. (This works with meadows too, and they'll all bloom, because they're next to the river).

OO|X

OO|XX

OO|_X

OOO|XXXX

OOO------

OOOXXXX

If you can afford to, don't use rocks, just mountains, because it's really hard to shift tiles later, and they become a limit to how powerful you can be (same with thickets/forests). The key to being able to do this is maximising the number of scraps you can get into, to generate more cards.

You want to get in as many fights as possible, especially early on. If you get enemy-spawning road tiles very early in the first loop, put them right at the end of the loop - it might just give them time to generate an enemy on the first loop, which helps a lot (otherwise that first loop can be pretty empty). Don't worry about placing them evenly around the map at first - there will be plenty of time to do that later. Once you're over a quarter of the way around the first loop, start placing enemy spawns close behind you, for fights on loop 2. Likewise if you get a river early on, try to drag it alongside a road as close to the end of the loop as possible - a river next to a road spawns enemies on to the road - and again you might just squeeze another fight on to the first loop.

Place Vampires where they can join in as many fights as possible, again to maximise card drops. If this makes things tough:

Spoiler

Place swamps alongside vampires - swamps reverse healing and regeneration.

That river next to the road combo thing is a key part of the game - loads of tiles change when placed next to others. Experiment with everything.

Something to be aware of placing loads of many of the basic tiles - forests, mountains causes enemy camps to spawn along the route, and these are bastards - spawning enemies very rapidly. You probably want to use the card that destroys a tile on these, because they can spoil a really good run - even when I was stupidly powerful I'd get rid of them. Every ten mountains built spawns a bandit camp, so it pays to keep an eye on how many you have, and hold off playing the tenth until you have a card to remove the camp.

I found concentrating on two main resource tiles seemed to work well. Forests and mountains was my staple playing as a necromancer - you just maximise your HP, and the speed you can spawn skellies.

Final tip as a spoiler for the first boss:

Spoiler

Fill the 8 squares around your base with tiles as a priority - including the roads. Any unfilled squares will get built on by the first boss with tiles that make him tougher. You'll also have to remove them afterwards to build on them yourself.

@MarkNthat’s great, but a little much for me at the moment.

Can we go a little slower?

I’ll tell you what I do on runs and you can tell me where I’m going right or wrong?

I have two classes unlocked, the warrior and the rogue. I prefer the warrior at the moment so generally go that way. 
I put down meadows on the left only when I’ve put down a treasury first and rocks and mountains on the right. None of them are near the loop road.

I’m picking up the gear and cards I think I find useful and let the others build up and turn into rescources, I think that’s the right thing to do?

I’ve bought some buildings, including several farms as I kept thinking that the previous one I bought had disappeared. The game doesn’t explain very well that some buildings you can have several of.

I’ve attempted the boss a couple of times now and failed badly, but I can see me lasting for longer and longer loops, so I can tell I’m getting stronger.

13 minutes ago, MrHendo said:

@MarkNthat’s great, but a little much for me at the moment.

Can we go a little slower?

I’ll tell you what I do on runs and you can tell me where I’m going right or wrong?

I have two classes unlocked, the warrior and the rogue. I prefer the warrior at the moment so generally go that way. 
I put down meadows on the left only when I’ve put down a treasury first and rocks and mountains on the right. None of them are near the loop road.

I’m picking up the gear and cards I think I find useful and let the others build up and turn into rescources, I think that’s the right thing to do?

I’ve bought some buildings, including several farms as I kept thinking that the previous one I bought had disappeared. The game doesn’t explain very well that some buildings you can have several of.

I’ve attempted the boss a couple of times now and failed badly, but I can see me lasting for longer and longer loops, so I can tell I’m getting stronger.

I'm really rusty, especially on warrior (once I unlocked Necromancer it was hard to go back). However I'll have a pop.

To address the excess gear and cards - yep - just pick the good stuff and let the crap recycle into resources.

If you're going with the treasury, take stock of the map at the start and work out where it will fit, then leave that bit well alone. Place good terrain tiles elsewhere ASAP. Meadows blossom when any other terrain tile that isn't a meadow is next to them, so you can stick them in a column up the other side of the map immediately, ready to place another terrain tile beside them later, and gain the bonus later. A vertical column of meadow on a far edge with a column of rocks/mountains next to it will work. Put 2 columns of rocks/mountains next to it, and the rocks will be doing better by being next to each other. So much of terrain tile placement is pre-planned. I will pick out where I want my 3x3 mountain or treasury immediately, and where I want my river to go, and build accordingly thereafter. (I often have a skeleton of a map built with marker forests showing where bends in a non-existent river will be long before the cards turn up to actually build it.)

I think I moved away from Meadows quite early. Healing at the end of the day didn't seem as good as having massive HP and regenerating. So mountains and equipment and perks that heal were my thing for staying alive, then use another terrain type dependent on class. For a Necromancer attack speed is critical, so Thickets were king, but as a warrior I think I used Suburbs to get lots of XP and gain useful perks, or deserts to make enemies easier. Suburbs have their own placement rules, so use wisely, and deserts kill your HP as well as the enemies, so double-edged sword.

If I was to have another play now I'd probably go with thickets and mountains regardless, because it seems like a good combo.

The farms you build in your town also build fields in all the surrounding squares of the town. I think these all add benefits, but you can build over them afterward. I think that probably removes the benefits, but gives you more space to build that isn't farmland. You probably don't need that many farms.

In my previous spoilered advice about the boss I was wrong:

Spoiler

It's not just the 8 squares surrounding your base you need to build on, it's a larger diamond shape. Build on all these squares as a priority. The furthest ones can be covered with terrain tiles usually, but otherwise chuck enemy houses, battlefields, and road tiles down on all of these ASAP, unless you have a good reason to put them somewhere else:

X

XXX 

XXBXX

XXX

X

Also, build a watchtower when you can in your town - it will help defend the tiles around your base, making battles there easier. Upgrade it to make it even better, then build another and repeat. You can wedge an awful lot of bad guys around your base with a good set of watchtowers helping you out.

• 3 months later...