IGNORED

Loop Hero - Your New Obsession

Sabreman

The RNG on this seems so annoying sometimes.  I'm doing a farming run, I've been waiting 7 loops for a Village to drop and no luck.  

Some reliability in frequency of cards wouldn't break it too much, would it? 

OMG Necro is my new favourite.  Been playing an act 2 farming run over the course of the WFH day and it was going so well by about loop 11 I thought I'd just go for the boss and absolutely decimated it!  Skelly level was about 13/14, I had the perk that healed me when skellies died, had another than made first two skellies a day stronger, my attack speed was nearly 200% so it was almost instant summons :D  Amazing scenes.  I even did a couple of victory laps for more loot! Nearly died right at the end, but just scraped it with a ton of loot! 

Unlocked rivers! They sound OP as fuck!

15 minutes ago, robdood said:

OMG Necro is my new favourite.  Been playing an act 2 farming run over the course of the WFH day and it was going so well by about loop 11 I thought I'd just go for the boss and absolutely decimated it!  Skelly level was about 13/14, I had the perk that healed me when skellies died, had another than made first two skellies a day stronger, my attack speed was nearly 200% so it was almost instant summons :D  Amazing scenes.  I even did a couple of victory laps for more loot! Nearly died right at the end, but just scraped it with a ton of loot! 

Unlocked rivers! They sound OP as fuck!

Yeah - that healing by dead skellies combined with a fast attack speed is super-powerful. If you get that perk, you can rein in the quest to make them more powerful to some extent, because you want them to turn up, get a hit in, and then give you the health. Concentrate on getting the summon limit raised to max instead. There's also a perk that boosts your magic shield permanently ever so slightly for each skellington summoned, so if you get the two in one run you're golden.

I've been loving this, but am aware it's playing me as much as I'm playing it. It just dangles things you want out of reach, and makes you grind for them (if you're desperate enough). I've been farming food to get all my watch towers upgraded to 3 tile range. It's just such a powerful thing. Not essential, so it's my call to go for it I know, but boy can you farm those nearby tiles with that kind of cover... Also, super useful for getting Astral Orbs (which are a PITA otherwise).

One of those moments where I decided to do one more loop and the first fight rinsed me.  To push on or not? Is the question!  Rivers are fun tho, putting trees in diagonal patterns seems to get you mad bonuses!  A thicket surrounded by four river tiles gives you 16%!!!  Mad op.  Love it.  This is the first time I've used them tho, so I ballsed up because I didn't realise you couldn't split / start a new river :( boo. 

633367362_topushonornot.thumb.jpg.b7418343e2762eabe2bfd767130b19c4.jpg

Threw in the towel on loop 13 end, had a couple of close calls! I made me skellies too strong so wasn't getting enough healing.   First time I've 'filled in' the whole map though, which was cool!  :D

Spoiler

1554122159_necrofarm3.thumb.jpg.498443bedf59003134739a4bc11ab70a.jpg

On 18/03/2021 at 10:34, robdood said:

The RNG on this seems so annoying sometimes.  I'm doing a farming run, I've been waiting 7 loops for a Village to drop and no luck.  

Some reliability in frequency of cards wouldn't break it too much, would it? 

I'm halfway through loop 5. I have 5 skeletons, but the game has given me almost nothing to fight. This is genuinely all I have - one spider cocoon, one grove, and a battlefield for a chest. I've had dozens of rubbish forests and wheat fields (that I can't use). I might just quit this one, and start again - it feels hopeless.

Edit: finished that loop, still got nothing but a couple of suburbs and meadows. I'm now half-tempted to stick with it to see how bad it gets...

Edit 2: Got one more loop in and almost died. It gave me one more spider cocoon, but that was it. I had 5 skeletons, but I couldn't summon them fast enough to fight the enemies at that level. I just wasn't dropping enough loot to power up. Frustrating. Oh well, perhaps one more go...

rng01.png.769d69f9c101f8f5e1e461d1bcc39a56.png

@MarkN yeah sometimes it does seem particularly miserly with cards.   BTW I'd avoid taking the armoury with Necro, it's not really worth it imo!

I decided to take Necro to the first level for lols.  Smashed the boss on like loop 7 or so, now trying to fill in the whole map, state of this:

2052412777_necrostage1.thumb.jpg.731e93f5fe2c5eea261ae88ada2a99f6.jpg

It's a lot harder than it needs to be, wish I had brought those road lanterns!  :lol:

Man this run is ludicrous.  I think I'm good to just run forever now.  The only stats I need on gear is total skellies, and a bit of levelling.  Skellie level about 5 behind the loop seems good for the summon bonuses.  As it stands, my health and magic health are just constantly ticking up, I haven't taken phys damage in aaaages, and now I can farm those lady vampires for their tasty time shards!

1025454020_farmtimeshard1.thumb.jpg.e5f13f7c8c58454b0b246d9c2f0cf1e3.jpg

1829370370_farmtimeshard3.thumb.jpg.f8f7f12051ac960606cdc968cd5f79c1.jpg

1486859194_farmtimeshard2.jpg.93caa89229a71be4a4444ee744c797b1.jpg

Finding stage 3 pretty tough, not managed to fight the boss yet.  Maybe I'm waiting too long and making things too hard for myself. 

Had a nice run last thing last night with Warrior, high attack speed + vampirism is a nice combo!  Hard to keep attack speed in the sweet spot where you don't knacker yourself though. 

What a game!

8 minutes ago, robdood said:

Finding stage 3 pretty tough, not managed to fight the boss yet.  Maybe I'm waiting too long and making things too hard for myself. 

Really? I'd assumed you were smashing this from earlier posts. I still haven't filled the map, but have beaten the third boss a few times (then again I've only tried filling the map on stage 3, so maybe I'm going about that wrong). I think I'm generally doing it at about loop 9 or 10, FWIW. I think in the end I managed to beat the 3rd boss on my 2nd attempt after very narrowly missing out the 1st time. The bosses seem fairly well-judged difficulty-wise (the toughest one I found was the first boss - simply because I didn't spot the building work it had done for a couple of goes).

That boss decision is a belter though. Do you want to fight the boss and risk losing most of your lovely loot, or do you want to run away and keep it (yet again)? (I'll definitely fight them next time, honest.)

I've only had one go on the 4th stage - enough to see what it's doing. Could be tricky...

I've only had a few goes to be fair, not quite felt 'powerful' enough to complete the boss bar, and then died while trying to get a bit stronger. 

Current game:

farming.thumb.jpg.c133fcd14bb0f5e183cb2ea8a566bb9e.jpg

After realising lanterns can completely stop spawns, am seeing if I can set up a farm where I collect items but fight no enemies :) just a shame these pesky lanterns don't drop very frequently with my current deck! 

You've not got many enemies around your base. What's your watchtower situation like? I have 2 upgraded to full (4 tile range) and 3 that are penultimate level (3 tile range). I can load the tiles around my base chock full of bastards and the watchtowers will chew through them like nobody's business. I've done a little grinding to get there, but I really enjoy watching the carnage each loop, so it feels like time well wasted (I'm just about to waste more trying to get the other two up to full range).

Hehe - you've misunderstood my intent I think!  

If you place enough lanterns, no enemies spawn at all.  When you enter certain tiles you get resources just for walking through (e.g. Ruins give you a random bunch of small resources).  I want to get it set up so I can just leave my man doing loops, with no enemies, just getting easy resources. 

It's working too! :D

• 4 weeks later...

I've been plugging away at this every now and again, but I need some advice for the 3rd boss. I can quite comfortably get to it now but have already died a few times to it. I've unlocked and built all buildings except two on the upgrade tree and have done a few upgrades to existing buildings in town. I've done a bunch of resource grabbing loops on the 3rd level as well. Should I just keep grinding and get more upgrades to stand a better chance at the boss?

Spoiler

I have died to him twice with the rogue now. I beat boss 2 with Necromancer so haven't been using him much, also the deck I have is based around stuff like Spiders, Vampires and corrupted villages, which absolutely punish skellies. I've been using warrior to do resource runs but I find him quite boring to play and I don't really fancy his chances against the boss.

This whole post is a spoiler for the 4th and final expedition, so just don't read it if that will upset you.

Anyhow - to get back to the randomness of this game (and I know I'm grinding the same axe). In my last 3 games I beat the final boss of the game, and did it easily. I think I'm quite good at this now. Apart from the third run, none of them were particularly lucky runs. I felt I managed to adapt and adjust to the cards I was given. Each time I managed to tackle the first boss at the end of loop 5.

Look at the state of my last game at the start of loop 5. I've placed every card that would generate an enemy that I've been given. I've got nothing. And without enemies I get given nothing to adapt and adjust to. It's one of the few games I've played where I regularly just quit partway through, knowing I can't possibly win. (It's daft, because I've worked with random numbers and I know how easy it is to keep things looking "random", but also feeling fair.) In each of my previous games I'd have a lot of river on the map flanked with mountains and thicket, the required squares around the base would be mostly filled, and there would be lots of enemies generating around the loop.  This time - nothing, apart from an endless choice of absolutely useless accessories. Absolute definition of love/hate relationship with a game, this one.

2021-04-28.png.cae876d43b48e6792ecc76c7a99651e6.png

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Had a quick go on this on Switch and I'm intrigued - it's a right scruffy looking thing and doesn't explain a lot that is going on in terms of the mechanics, some of the menus are a bit fussy to navigate too (things like the joystick not working you have to use the d-pad) but it definitely seems very original and I'm not bouncing off it like I do so much nowadays.

I got this yesterday and it really doesn’t tell you anything!

I watched the GB Quick Look to see if that helped and sure enough there’s bonuses where you put certain cards down that the game doesn’t tell you, or tell you very well.

Is there a good basic tips guide that people could recommend?

I need to find some youtube basics guide for this, I do a couple of loops then quit out with a weak health bar but not really got a clue what the environment stuff I'm placing is doing

I can't even work out the menu to get back to the main screen so relying on the switch sleep state to preserve things !