Loop Hero - Your New Obsession

Sabreman

• 4 weeks later...

Went and played the demo because someone was playing it on Twitch early during my lunchbreak. Thought it was alright.

Then I popped into my friend group's discord chat about 9pm, and they was all playing it, so I booted it up. It's now nearly half eleven and I've thrown the money I got back for refunding Valheim for this (not because it's any better, but I wasn't really feeling it compared to this). It's great.

Ramping up your monster encounters along the path with your character's ramping damage just feels real good, and it really doesn't ask a lot in return outside of strategic placements and a bit of a think about how you want to blast out damage - bit like a hot mess of a cookie clicker, tower defense and Carcassone. Great music and style, too.

I did, however, have to change the text as it's a bit hard to read. But that's built-in already, so absolutely no problems there.

Is this coming to Switch? I feel like it'll be an absolute smash hit on the bloody thing.

Just filed my (very positive) review for this. Ploughed over 20 hours into it through some stupidly late nights/early mornings. Still haven't beaten the second chapter boss :) I love the fact that there is always something to do or some goal to work towards, whilst the fact that it doesn't hold your hand means you have to experiment to find the new combinations of skills or cards to unlock new things. I agree that it would work perfectly on Switch but think it's just PC for the foreseeable. 

This game goes to show what a good demo can do.  Played it, immediately bought.  It has just the right amount of balance of risk and reward.  Do you bank your stuff, or go for another loop?  I didn’t find it too punishing either.

The main game has more classes and some of them look bonkers.  Cannot wait for 5pm.

I went to bed at 5am.

It just keeps opening up, which makes the chase even more compulsive. There's a whole meta game of synergy ticking away underneath, and I've been experimenting with cards and builds, seeing if I can cheese some farming (you can, to some extent, but just when you think you've found a way to break it the game's a step ahead of you).

Some of the big streamers gave it a decent amount of time yesterday, so hopefully its profile has shot up.

There's so much to discover. Built all the structures and now looking to upgrade them. Pro tip 

Spoiler

Build the alchemy lab as soon as you can as it lets you convert and make resources rather than relying on RNG. 

Still can't beat the second boss though :) May try the other classes. 

Spoiler

I've mainly been farming to build the village, but I had a pop at the Lich with the Necromancer... and got annihilated :lol:. I thought I had a sound strategy, but there was a seemingly random factor that I fell foul of. There must be something I can do to mitigate against it but I haven't figured it out yet.

Is the demo still there? Couldn't it find it on Steam earlier just taking me to the main store page. 

Probably just buy it anyway as only around £10, so just wondering! 

No, they removed it when the game went live - frustratingly, as I'd downloaded it the night before, only to go to try it on launch day and wasn't able to.

That's odd - I had it installed previously, but Steam wouldn't actually allow me to run it because it had been removed from the storefront, so I just gave up. Installing it through that link, however, now allows it to run, so thanks for linking to it!

I do not understand the ways of Steam.

In a test of endurance...

Spoiler

I decided to simply not build anything and see how far I could get fighting slimes that randomly appear on the road. Made it to loop 53 before burning out. I did manage to keep proportional pace with equipment, but multiple slimes on the same tile was starting to get tricky :lol:

Still need to beat Chapter 2 - got to the boss once and got done in, but I was using Rogue so I was having a mare getting rid of multiple targets. Definitely a job for the necro.

At the moment in the tech tree, I've got to Library, so I'm just feeling out what the best deck layouts are for a particular class. Magic HP and getting equipment is too good though, so I'm still thinking necro should be used at any given occasion - especially when you use Arsenal and get more skeletons from your shield perk :ph34r:

Worth pointing out this is only a tenner on Steam! 15 percent off. For that low low price I'm quite happy to take a punt based on the reception here and the good reviews coming out online. Seems perfect for nights after a long day at work when your brain can't handle action games but a good ol pause anytime planning-type game is just the ticket. Just did the tutorial and the pixel art on the character portraits is really nicely done. Thank you once again Devolver Digital for funding another original concept!

6 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Worth pointing out this is only a tenner on Steam! 15 percent off. For that low low price I'm quite happy to take a punt based on the reception here and the good reviews coming out online. Seems perfect for nights after a long day at work when your brain can't handle action games but a good ol pause anytime planning-type game is just the ticket. Just did the tutorial and the pixel art on the character portraits is really nicely done. Thank you once again Devolver Digital for funding another original concept!

Pause anytime games are quickly becoming my go to genre. Especially those that can be walked away from for hours and still be able to work out exactely what is going on when I go back to it. Games that present ALL the information I need to play at all times are great. Might take me a couple of minutes to work out what build is going on, what enemies are about etc. but then its back to it.

2 hours ago, spork said:

Any other recommendations?

Apart from loop hero:

Slay the Spire

Monster Train

Oxygen not Included

Hammerting

Are my current go-to games for pause anytime gaming. I'm sure there are loads more that aren't immediately coming to mind.

49 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

I'm a few hours in, still on level 1 and it's quite compelling so far. Question: when Beacons say they increase unit attack speed, does that only apply to enemies and not you I take it? 

I assumed it was enemies and you.

Well I thought the same, but then I thought what would be the point of it affecting both you and enemies, then it might as well not exist? I suppose it would speed up how fast battles take in total and therefore less days would get expended in total, time still passes during battle I think?

Dammit, the game needs to communicate this more clearly. Unlocked the level 1 Lich but I selected retreat when I reached the campfire, because earlier the game said the lich would be at the campfire/camp. Now I'm at the start of a new loop! Grr!

Found the answer about the beacon. When you are in the beacon's radius and in combat, the buff appears on the creatures saying they get +20% attack speed. The player's stats don't seem to be affected if you look over at the character sheet on the right.

2 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Found the answer about the beacon. When you are in the beacon's radius and in combat, the buff appears on the creatures saying they get +20% attack speed. The player's stats don't seem to be affected if you look over at the character sheet on the right.

Does that player stat section get updated with in battle buffs and debuffs? Pretty sure it doesn't.

4 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

99% sure that it affects all units, friends and foe. And it can have a massive impact on battles. Many buffs are only triggered on receiving damage, some are time based. Also, summoned units can give buffs on death, so in some cases you want everything do die more quickly.