PS Plus Feb 2021 - Destruction All Stars,Control: UE and Concrete Genie

mdn2

You drive around in circles banging into each other for no apparent reason and occasionally having to control a clumsy feeing little character who gets ragdolled around while three French stoners giggle incessantly through your controller. They were the best bit of the 30 mins I spent. There’s no tension, drama, escalation or skill to the matches at all. 

1 hour ago, hombre_hompson said:

Destruction Allstars seems like fun, but the decision to have voice chat on by default and no way to globally switch it off is completely bewildering.

You can globally switch it off, but it's quite unintuitive. You short-press the PS button, go up to the card for your game, then press Square to mute voice chat.

16 minutes ago, Moz said:

You drive around in circles banging into each other for no apparent reason and occasionally having to control a clumsy feeing little character who gets ragdolled around while three French stoners giggle incessantly through your controller. They were the best bit of the 30 mins I spent. There’s no tension, drama, escalation or skill to the matches at all. 

Yeah, and that'd be great for about that long (minus the stoners) but then it'd be that again.

Is matchmaking in Destruction All stars knackered for anyone else? I've not been able to play at all yet. It's been searching for about 10mins. Not that m expecting much after the clunky tutorial. I expect I'll just stick with Rocket League for what little multiplayer gaming I do. 

Destruction All Stars is lost on me but then again, it's not aimed at old men.

It's obviously aimed at a younger market with twitchy reflexes who might spend money on skins & emotes. I'm sure they could love it.

It's patently never been a £70 game, PS+ seems like a perfect market for it to gain traction and make money from cosmetics and microtransactions.

Totally agree on the jumping which doesn't match the platforms at all.

When the car is knackered, the trigger vibrates quite a bit and rattles which makes it sound really dodgy. Is it just mine?

So Control is pretty good, but why on Earth have people been claiming this is a Metroidvania? Just because you can run around the building with a new keycard? Madness. 

Also whoever thought it a good idea to throw random weapon mods in there and let them be randomly crafted as well, must’ve been a bit high on reading that particular copy of Game Mechanics Monthly. Holy crap is it jarring considering how confident the rest of the game feels. 

28 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

So Control is pretty good, but why on Earth have people been claiming this is a Metroidvania? Just because you can run around the building with a new keycard? Madness. 

Because there are items and locations all over the place that you can't access until you've gained further / max abilities. Some you'll have run past loads of times by the time you finish without even realising, some you'd probably never even consider being available routes. 

I consider myself pretty thorough when playing games. I like to take my time, explore, pay attention to the art/environments, but by the time I "finished" Control, I reckon I'd seen about 70% of the game, and I'm not just talking small pickups, but entire areas.

Edit: To clarify, I went back and found everything in the game - including some rather fetching headwear - with the help of guides.

It's an amazing game :)

Yes the visual design is very good, with some cool characters, animations and car designs. Liked the mandatory tutorial too. A nicely streamlined way to introduce everything, no chance of missing anything important. 

You know when something's totally hardwired into you? I just quit Destruction All Stars in disgust because I can't wrap my head around the fact that X isn't turbo in this. After the tenth time yeeting myself out of my car instead of annihilating the dude I was all set to T bone I gave up on it.

Looks very sharp, I'll give it that. 

I claimed Destruction Allstars on the website (no PS5) but did the other two on my PS4. Does that mean I won’t get the PS5 version of whichever game is on both? I did the website one last and didn’t see any way to claim the other on PS5 anyway.

So, I think I read on this very forum that even if you don't own a PS5 (yet) you can use the PS app to claim the PS5 portion of games to your PS+ account. I've just seemingly claimed Destruction All-Stars and so imagine it'll be there ready to download on PS5?, when I get one in space year 2025, in black.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Control had two entries on the site PS5/PS4 and just PS4.

I doubt which one you claim actually will make the slightest difference.

I initially 'purchased' the PS4 version, that did not allow me to download the PS4|PS5 version - I had to 'purchase' that one too. 

3 hours ago, amc said:

So, I think I read on this very forum that even if you don't own a PS5 (yet) you can use the PS app to claim the PS5 portion of games to your PS+ account. I've just seemingly claimed Destruction All-Stars and so imagine it'll be there ready to download on PS5?, when I get one in space year 2025, in black.

Or just do it on the website.

14 hours ago, AlexM said:

I initially 'purchased' the PS4 version, that did not allow me to download the PS4|PS5 version - I had to 'purchase' that one too. 

Does anyone have advice (or a link) for a non-PS5 owner to do the same for the latter version?

edit - think I got it, by going to the Subscriptions section in the PS app. There was an ‘ultimate edition’ listed that I had not claimed, I assume that is it.

On 02/02/2021 at 22:43, FozZ said:

Because there are items and locations all over the place that you can't access until you've gained further / max abilities. Some you'll have run past loads of times by the time you finish without even realising, some you'd probably never even consider being available routes. 

Also I think most of the abilities are optional? At one point they wanted all of them to be and that obviously didn't pan out, but you can certainly ignore the critical path once it's given you a quick tour of each of the key areas. (A la Super Metroid.)

Cy, trust us, it's a MetroidVania.

On 02/02/2021 at 22:13, cubik said:

When the car is knackered, the trigger vibrates quite a bit and rattles which makes it sound really dodgy. Is it just mine?

No it’s meant to. 
 I thought Destruction Allstars looked garbage and was ready to hate it.

i played 3 or 4 matches wondering why out of the controller I could hear people discussing what they’re  having for tea, and a man have breathing so hard my wife came downstairs thinking I was having an asthma attack or something.

Then I learned how to mute chat and looked at a tips guide, then had another hour on it and I’ve got to say I really like it now. Boost is on the right stick so you can boost forward or sideways to sideswipe or dodge, cars handle lovely, can get some nice powerslides going.

Also there is a lot more single player content than you might imagine from reading reviews, and it’s pretty decent.

So, here’s a fun twist on Control. I already owned the standard edition. I added the Ultimate Edition PS4 and PS5 versions to my library through the app already. When I went to the Store page on my PS4 today, the UE was showing on the PS+ section... as unpurchased. If I visit that, I am informed that for the duration of the PS+ month I can add it for the “special price” of the RRP. So I quit out and I delete my standard edition and this time I pop back in, and it shows “ADD TO LIBRARY” under the thumbnail, but when I go to it, it gives me the “Download” option instead, which lets me download...

the Standard Edition. Which is also where the link to the store page goes.

I don’t know if I have actually got the UE in my library, and despite it ostensibly being such a separate game that even the saves don’t work, the PS Store can’t seem to tell the two versions apart.

Okay, I looked in to it, and the PS Store says I have purchased Control Ultimate Edition on both PS4 and PS5, but my game library only includes a PS5 version. I literally cannot download a PS4 version of the UE whatever I do. I already own the base game and the season pass which gives me ~most~ of the Ultimate Edition content (except some costumes?) but obviously they fucked up how this works on the store.

On the Store, the PS4 Ultimate Edition actually shows up as just a bundle of the existing Control base game and the two DLC packs so I wonder if - despite 505's insistence to the contrary - that's literally all this ever was on that platform. Although there is also a second Control Ultimate Edition I supposedly already own, which doesn't include those DLC packs, which is playable on both PS4 and PS5, and is separate from the PS4 Ultimate Edition.