IGNORED

Missile Dancer (eShop Score Chaser)

Marlew

Yeah, I remember reading about this partway through last year and then completely forgetting about it until your Alternative Award. Picked it up over the weekend and spent a lovely few hours with it. Only just scratched the surface but I'm always up for getting dangerously obsessed with repeating the same small section of a videogame over and over. 

All about that Caravan Mode, that's exactly right. The different stages and bosses and music are cool but I think he's distilled something really satisfying into that three-minute little special stage. Hope a few people pick it up off the back of this! 

If it makes you feel better I’m having to play around stick drift as well. Thankfully it stayed away that run.

I’ll have a dig through and grab the clips later. Looking at your video:

My first boss strategy is a bit different to yours and I ended up with a six chain there.

The helicopter boss, after I realised killing the big missiles extends the chain I realised killing the missiles at the start extends from the six small helicopters and are thus are effectively worth 2,000 points each. I’ve managed to extend the chain to 12 before but I’m a bit inconsistent at it.

The mid boss - I don’t remember full chaining it but I think I was at about 30 something when I killed it. I stay a lot closer to it though as it seems to lock missiles on quicker.

I knew that I'd hit rock bottom when I got a King Ghidorah Yakuza back tattoo. 

Anyway, @Jonster well and truly schooled me here in about ten minutes so I'm getting back on the horse tonight. He's shown me there's a way to chain off the big missiles which I didn't even realise, so I reckon I can squeeze a few more points out of it.

I think that helicopter boss is definitely the big prize. When I got the 496k early on last year, it was basically a flukey full chain on that and almost nothing else. I didn't get any of the 17 chains, didn't optimise any speed killing or anything, I didn't even really know the patterns that well. The issue is that I've never been able to repeat that and I'm not quite sure how I did it. 

As Jonster said, I am quite far away from it because if I get closer, the chain seems to break instantly and I end up with a series of 5/6 chain combos. If I hold down for longer than a quick lock, it also seems to break. Once more mini ships split off and the big un is firing missiles, it's easier to keep it going but it's the link between the first ten or twelve combo into the big thirty six or whatever. That's the golden egg, I reckon.

I'm convinced that for the first section, it's about staying to the opposite side that the big shop moves and not destroying the mini ships too quickly. As the big un moves, switch sides in tandem. It's once it moves slightly down the screen that the chain seems to break, so maybe I'm getting too much close or maybe I should staying still at that point. 

Anyway, just throwing out some observations. Curious if anyone has any ideas. 

Sorry for the Twitter spam

I found delaying the attack slightly up close can still allow for a full chain here. I’ve had differing results, but it usually ends up with at least 31.

The first boss can be slightly delayed to get higher chains, I think 10 is possible here too but would be very precise

Here’s the 12 on helicopter boss

It may be possible to go even further beyond, but also there may be a possibility to end with a 5 chain if you wait for missiles to chain and then destroy 2 parts quickly. I had a 4 chain there accidentally and gave me the idea. I don’t know how much you’d need to delay for though and if it’s be worth it overall.

^ cheers for the tips videos! i thought i was out but you guys being all enthusiastic pulled me back in for another go last night, better score at 466'215, but i'm definitely out now. not keen on enemy chaining and don't have the high score skills anyway. the game is pretty cool though, also finished it on hard mode, but failed at the next difficulty mode.

Just started playing the caravan mode (skipping past the scores in this thread at the moment as I already have low self-esteem) and the music is absolutely stonking. Honestly, realise it's only January but if there's a better game track this year I'll be very suprised. 

Managed a 445k run on caravan mode earlier. There's one of the stealth bombery-type bosses that I just can't figure out how to chain properly - the one with the missiles that go in right angles. But the other one that chucks its panelling at you I think I managed to chain the whole way through. Can't exactly remember the resulting number because I was briefly off my tits on the adrenaline.

Man, this is proper good. I think I will go back to the main campaign a bit tomorrow just to explore that some more :wub: