MikeBeaver Treasure Trove

7 hours ago, Haribokart said:

I think you got a great deal here Mike and it must be such a fun project to work through.

I am so intrigued as to what the story of this stuff is. I'd lean towards a tech collector who died (because the person who bought, owned and modded all this would know they would get so much more than the sale price) but it could easily be a bunch of people or for from an enthusiasts group as it is SO MUCH.

Lots of the systems have been numbered, along with the controllers ( Well, the Wii's and the Retrons, the Xbox's have random stickers on denoting the status of them, one has "fucked" written on top, so why I plugged it in I don't know ), so I am leaning towards maybe someone running a gaming club or somethign similar perhaps?

I can't say it's not been fun having so much random shit to go through, but it's also been 3 full days of sorting it so far, and there is the listing to go still, which is the least fun part of selling things, I've done the fun par, well... apart from fixing the Analog Nt, that will be fun if I sort it, luckily one of the Retrons is knackered ( cart  slot SNES ) so I'm going to strip that a rob the Famicom slot from it and TRY to fit it in the Analogue.

Oh if you do that full retron transplant document it, I find that kind of stuff entirely more fascinating than it deserves.

Hopefully you can ship a decent pile of it out to people in here without having to list a bunch of it.

On 26/01/2021 at 14:50, MikeBeaver said:

5/10 working xbox's, 3 crystal and 2 black are dead, shame, as one of the dead crystal ones has some lovely / horrid ( delete as you find appropriate ) lights inside, would have kept it for myself, but it's coming up with a service message, and I suspect it's something to do with the massive 160gb HDD slapped inside, cba sorting it out.

I always coveted a Crystal Xbox back in the day, I could be tempted by a broken one just for the shell to transplant my innards into; need to check the caps haven’t leaked anyway, and I’m planning on teaching my eldest soldering and that!

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

I always coveted a Crystal Xbox back in the day, I could be tempted by a broken one just for the shell to transplant my innards into; need to check the caps haven’t leaked anyway, and I’m planning on teaching my eldest soldering and that!

£20, if you want one, choice of standard or the one with lights :-p

Currently they are sitting outside my office door ( inside the building ) as there isn't enough space to manouvere in here.

Also, I've tried removing the Famicom slot from a Retron 5, after doing that, I'm not so sure of my desoldering skills and don't quite fancy removing the one from the Analogue N, fo rfear of causing further damage to it.

2 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Does the Analogue run NES stuff fine or is the famicom slot shorting anything out?

Yeah, it plays the 3 games I've tried just well enough, although Bart vs Space Mutants looks funny ( graphics are the wrong colours, Analogu do state that because it's using NTSC PPU's rather than PAL ones, that some PAL games will be iffy).

No shorts, and I did spend most of the United match last night trying ( this was less painful than watching that dross ) to pry the pins back up into place, there are two down, got both back up, plugged in an adapter cart ( as I don't have any Famicom carts to try ) and it pushed one back down but not the other, I mean, it "might" actually play a game, if said game didn't use the pin in question, but without a game, I've no idea.

1 hour ago, MikeBeaver said:

£20, if you want one, choice of standard or the one with lights :-p

Currently they are sitting outside my office door ( inside the building ) as there isn't enough space to manouvere in here.

Also, I've tried removing the Famicom slot from a Retron 5, after doing that, I'm not so sure of my desoldering skills and don't quite fancy removing the one from the Analogue N, fo rfear of causing further damage to it.

Tempting, what does the one with lights look like?

My son’s gaming PC has unicorn vomit RGB lighting and I must admit I’ve become quite taken with it, I’m going to be modding a keyboard controller soon and it’s getting lights in it because why not :lol:

I find retro resellers particularly those that deal in big job lots are always cagey about the history of their wares. I understand why, it's because they are generally in business and are just interested in buying stuff and punting it on. And with hobbyist stuff there's always going to be geeks interested in where big and unusual hauls have come from. 

Eg there is quite a lot of sealed , apparently old-new stock Psygnosis Spectrum games on eBay at the moment individually. I picked up a copy of Obliterator myself as I have a small collection of Psygy stuff for the box art mainly. It seems to come from a bloke on one of the Spectrum buying and selling Facebook pages who has been unloading crates of them. I was very interested to hear what the story might be behind an apparently huge and unused pile of Spectrum games being discovered in 2021. So of course I asked him (I'm a journalist, asking people questions is my thing) and got a polite but firm "can't tell you sorry mate."

The next time he made a sales post he included a line saying something like "please don't waste my time with questions about where they came from because I'm not going to tell you" so I guess a few people besides me were asking also. 

I'm always happy to waffle about where my stuff comes from, as I've got no repeat places to get stock from, I guess the chap you messaged may suspect that his competition in the market place are looking at getting a go at his haul, perhaps there is a warehouse full of stuff and this guy can't afford it all in one hit or has the space to store it, and wants to get through it all at his own pace so wont share it's history, but yeah, anytime I pick anything up, you're welcome to know where it came from and any history I can find out about it, once it's been bought, it's bought, ain't no one coming back for it so why not share an interesting story, I'd also have been intrigued by speccy games turning up new and sealed in 2021, that's some seriously new old stock!!

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

I find retro resellers particularly those that deal in big job lots are always cagey about the history of their wares. I understand why, it's because they are generally in business and are just interested in buying stuff and punting it on. And with hobbyist stuff there's always going to be geeks interested in where big and unusual hauls have come from. 

Eg there is quite a lot of sealed , apparently old-new stock Psygnosis Spectrum games on eBay at the moment individually. I picked up a copy of Obliterator myself as I have a small collection of Psygy stuff for the box art mainly. It seems to come from a bloke on one of the Spectrum buying and selling Facebook pages who has been unloading crates of them. I was very interested to hear what the story might be behind an apparently huge and unused pile of Spectrum games being discovered in 2021. So of course I asked him (I'm a journalist, asking people questions is my thing) and got a polite but firm "can't tell you sorry mate."

The next time he made a sales post he included a line saying something like "please don't waste my time with questions about where they came from because I'm not going to tell you" so I guess a few people besides me were asking also. 

He's got C64, C16, Atari, MSX, BBC and Amstrad games too. Mostly budget releases, but various labels. All new. It is intriguing, I agree.

16 hours ago, Pistol said:

Tempting, what does the one with lights look like?

My son’s gaming PC has unicorn vomit RGB lighting and I must admit I’ve become quite taken with it, I’m going to be modding a keyboard controller soon and it’s getting lights in it because why not :lol:

I was wondering about this one as well. Might be sacrilege, but I was thinking it might work as a lamp... 

I'll echo what others have said, this is a really interesting thread to follow. Having to resist the urge to call dibs on stuff. I'm trying to get stuff out my house, not more into it. 

If any of those game gears are terminal but have a good power board (or even a dead power board) I’m looking to fix my one with a faulty power jack (board works fine on batteries as the jack has a loose connection not fixable by resoldering).