Diablo 2 Remake? Vicarious Visions

Ran

I take it everyone is avoiding buying this?

I got the PC version, I hadn’t played the original version, my first Diablo was D3 on the Switch.

Anyway, it’s really good if a little dated (well, very dated actually!) I think it controls really well with an Xbone controller. 

No, I’ve bought it. It’s good. It’s got the atmosphere I wish d3 had, but it feels very clunky. D3 was my first so perhaps that spoilt me in terms of gameplay and user friendliness and this definitely feels a step back in that regard, but as I said, the atmosphere is cracking - I can’t wait for D4!

Having spent 400+ hours on Diablo 3 I was kinda looking forward to this remake but I can't let myself spend money on this as I really won't support Blizzard in its current state. 

I used to adore everything Blizzard touched but as I've learned that their touching went a bit too far I'm done with them. 

It’s definitely a step back from Diablo III, I found the mouse controls very fiddly - sometimes it was a struggle to pick up loot?! With the controller it’s much better.

It nearly supports ultra wide, just small black bars down the side, certainly better than 16:9 though.

The atmosphere is brilliant though. I’m hooked!

I understand the hang up with Blizzard etc, hopefully those responsible will pay for it and the company survives, “reborn” if you will. At the end of the day there’s still a lot of innocent folk there that need their jobs, I wanted to support Vicarious Visions etc. 

I'm really torn, to be honest. I only played the 1st game on PlayStation, and loved it. However, I basically missed out on D2 for some unknown reason. I refused to go in to D3 because of all its launch problems, but really loved the beta/demo/whatever early thing I played.

Over the years, I've mostly talked myself out of buying D3, usually because it seems to only go on sale when I'm skint. So, I was glad of this, especially when I saw that I could pay £15 extra and also get D3. But then, all the shit hit the fan, and now I just don't know what to do. Or, for that matter, which platform to go for if I do eventually cave! Kinda tempted by Switch, because ... you know ... SWITCH!

D3 is brilliant in the switch. That was my first game in the series, I bought it last year when I was laid up with a bad back.
However I only have a Switch Lite, and when I got around to trying D3 on a big screen I was even more in love, when prompted me to get the PC version of this remaster. In hindsight I should’ve bought the full pack with all the D3 stuff too, but I’m sure D2 will tide me over till the fourth one appears. 

My lad pre-ordered this for my birthday, we poured hours into Diablo 3 so we were looking forward to couch co-op, gutted that it’s not in the game.  I initially found it very clunky, the inventory space is a joke and it’s missing lots of quality of life stuff that makes D3 a more user friendly experience.  However most of these issues have melted away as the atmosphere is just incredible and the gearing up aspect seems way more rewarding than D3’s loot piñata gameplay.  I’ve gone necromancer with a tanky golem and just got the rune words to make the stealth body armour. Loving it!

I'm stuck on a quest and cant proceed any further. 

It's the one where you get the hammer for the Smith and he can then imbue items. Says he will imbue any item but when I try to drag and drip any item nothing happens. Bought multiple items also to test it and cant do anything. 

18 minutes ago, Ry said:

I'm stuck on a quest and cant proceed any further. 

It's the one where you get the hammer for the Smith and he can then imbue items. Says he will imbue any item but when I try to drag and drip any item nothing happens. Bought multiple items also to test it and cant do anything. 

Are you using a normal piece of equipment? WIki says "No Magic, Rare, Set, or Unique items can be used."

43 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Are you using a normal piece of equipment? WIki says "No Magic, Rare, Set, or Unique items can be used."

Yeah. Tried and bought multiple different items. Nothing happens 

Duriel is currently kicking my arse all over the shop, that is quite the difficulty spike!

The music in this game is amazing, I thought Act 1’s music was great, then I got to Lut Gholein (including the Harem level with the vocals, wow!)

46 minutes ago, sammy said:

Duriel is currently kicking my arse all over the shop, that is quite the difficulty spike!

The music in this game is amazing, I thought Act 1’s music was great, then I got to Lut Gholein (including the Harem level with the vocals, wow!)

Probably the toughest boss in the game 

33 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

I’m a bit disappointed to learn that act 1 is fields and farms and act 2 is desert - this is exactly the same as Diablo 3. 

You know this was made before Diablo 3 right? 

As someone who put 100s of hours into D2 many years ago this is just perfection. It's exactly how I remembered it and am so glad they didn't tinker with it. I loved D3 too but this is just brilliant even after all these years 

The fact that there is no matchmaking lobbies is a fucking joke. 

I have tried to join multiple games using the party finder and never found anyone online. I wish I started as an offline character but there are still lag and hitching issues when playing alone. 

59 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Forgot this was out - installing now.

Going to play it on PC with pad lol - fuck clicky clicky. I say this with confidence because negs are off

It's massively better with a controller on PC. Fuck mice for this, the control set up is bizarre.

9 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Also fuck the penalty where you die and drop all your stuff. That's no fun.

One of the best tricks I’ve learned is if you save and exit immediately after death you load back into the hub town next to your corpse.  You do lose all of your gold though, I’m sticking most of it in my stash now when I return to town, which is frequently, due to inventory size!  I think it’s fine though once you get used to the rhythm of it.