Edge #355 | Look Forward

6 minutes ago, bear said:

Is there much of a write-up on the Amico? I'm curious about that thing even though I'm not the target audience. 

Everything either gets a page, or two pages of write-up.

Bit weird, this. The unified format worked well in Feel Better when it was just one theme (feelgood games) but having contents that are more conventional - current topics, studio profiles - makes it feel a bit less "special", more like an ordinary issue with half a magazine of pretty images (or the occasional ad.)

It's not a criticism by any means; just an observation of the contents vs. the presentation.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Who's the new editor?

Mott is listed as "acting editor".

15 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Bit weird, this. The unified format worked well in Feel Better when it was just one theme (feelgood games) but having contents that are more conventional - current topics, studio profiles - makes it feel a bit less "special", more like an ordinary issue with half a magazine of pretty images (or the occasional ad.)

It's not a criticism by any means; just an observation of the contents vs. the presentation.

Mott is listed as "acting editor".

That's a fair point. It was never going to feel as special as Feel Better, which captured a moment in time in a way that was impossible to recreate. There is a unifying theme, as the edintro explains, and we've fleshed out several entries with developer quotes and more to add a bit of substance. As the contribs list should make clear, this was an issue made in...let's say unusual circumstances. Normal service will be resumed next month. 

Can't believe Edge has opted to skip reviews the very month that the game of the year came out :(

(Hitman 3, obvs.)

But yeah, looking forward to this, it's a fun choice of theme! Plus, Kaizen Game Works? Yes please.

20 hours ago, Wiper said:

Can't believe Edge has opted to skip reviews the very month that the game of the year came out :(

(Hitman 3, obvs.)

But yeah, looking forward to this, it's a fun choice of theme! Plus, Kaizen Game Works? Yes please.

Although, let's face it - if you loved the previous two Hitman games, then you probably don't really need a review ;) .

I mean, it's gonna rock your world no matter what!

22 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Love it. If they want to do one of these every year from now on I would not mind.

I was saying recently how Edge should be the first to break out of the tired games mag formula that’s existed since the early 1980s. Even though their 2 off-format issues were down to staffing problems they’ve clearly proved popular with readers. Hopefully a sign of things to come and Edge will continue to push the boundaries of what a games mag can be.

Maybe the publisher could experiment with being competent.

Edit - I’ve often thought about Edge dramatically shaking things up too, but I’ve started to wonder how practical that is given the fragility of print media (or original reporting, period). What happens if people stop recognising it as a games mag when they walk past in a train station newsagent?

2 hours ago, Harsin said:

Here's some review scores so the thread doesn't feel weird.

Star Citizen - 6

Beyond Good and Evil 2 - 7

Half Life 3 - 4

Daikatana Remastered - 10

The Medium - 66

On 24/01/2021 at 08:41, three1ne said:

Can I buy a physical copy online? Website doesn't immediately suggest I can. 

You should be able to preorder the issue from Magazines Direct at this link - https://www.magazinesdirect.com/az-single-issues/6936949/edge-magazine-single-issue.thtml - just select March 21 from the drop-down menu in the 'choose your issue' box. There'll be a direct link when the mag is released to stores on Thursday.